lunedì 1 giugno 2009

Giro's last stage and interview with Menchov:

And so the Giro ended yesterday,with a thrilling last km and all the rest.Menchov's reaction after the finish line was unbelievable:he screamed,hugged people,kissed his wife (see pic on Roberto Bettini's website), smiled and looked a bit possesed.He really risked to lose this Giro when he fell,fortunately the mechanic gave him his new bike in a very fast way. Btw,the last TT was won by Ignatas Konovalovas (what a surname!).He's a good-looking, young, strong and very kind rider.When my mother asked him for a signature in Milan,he gave her not just his autograph,but also lots of photos of him and of his teammates and a big poster of the team.I want to talk a bit about him because he really deserves it.
Ignatas comes from Lituania,is 189 cm tall and weights 76 kg.He was born on the 8th December 1985 and became pro last year.He rides for Cervélo now,but before he used to ride for Credit Agricolé.Last year he won the 1st stage of Tour of Luxembourg and became national TT champion.He came in 29th at the Olympic road race in Beijing. His "cyling tip" is "one day of success or one victory pays you back for all the pain and all the work you've done over the years".His favourite training ride is a 5 or 6 hours ride (!),on a sunny and hot summer day,in a beautiful place,with good music,dreaming about the Tour de France. His favourite cycling moment was Athens 2004 Olympic Games.Konovalovas lives in France and both his parents were cyclists.His mom even won an Olympic bronze medal in Seul.

After having talked a bit about yesterday's winner,here's an interview with Menchov in which he also talks a bit his life outside cycling.My English is not very good,but I hope you'll understand it anyway.It was made on the restday before of the Blockhaus climb and the most interesting part begins after Menchov's photo (one of the few ones in which he doesn't look possesed...).

Together with Erik Breukink (who arrived on the Giro podium twice and won the stage on the Gavia of the 1988 and wore the Maglia Rosa in 1987 and 1989),Denis Menchov yesterday went to see the Blockhaus’ stage.The Russian from Orel that lives in Pamplona seems ready for tomorrow's big challenge.
J: Does this climb frighten you?
DM: No,I like it.It seems San Martino di Castrozza’s one.I pedalled for an hour and a half,sweating.A short training,after Monte Petrano.On Monday I drank 15 bottles of water (8-9 liters of water).
J: Who did you meet during the training?
I met Pellizotti and Basso,they were already on the descent.I said hello to them.I didn’t see Di Luca.
J: Blockhaus is Di Luca’s mountain.Does it worry you?
He’ll be supported a lot by his tifosi,but the pain is the same.
J: Talking about the tifosi,Basso and Di Luca are supported a lot by them.Does this disturb you?
Actually I really like the tifosi,they're people who really love cycling.For them the Maglia Rosa is a symbol and they support me as well.The Giro’s support is special.
J: Who will you control in a special way?
Di Luca,of course.But I also keep an eye on Sastre and Basso.And I don’t trust Pellizotti.

J: What do your wife and your 3 kids tell you?
My wife always tells me "Don't risk too much!".The kids send me kisses.
J: Do Russian people follow your races?
Yes,I feel very followed in my own country.The journalists of Sovietski Sport and Sport Express keep on calling me on the phone.
J: What is Russia for you?
The best country in the world.I like Spain and Italy as well.I’ve actually fallen in love with Sestri Levanti and Le Cinque Terre (ndr;the place where the TT of 60 kms was held).
J: Do you miss the samovar?
No.I come back to Orel on Monday,so we’re gonna have a good tea on that day.
J: Turgenev was born in your same area…
Yes,I’ve visited his house in Spasskoye Lutovinovo,40 kms away from Orel,and his museum,but I’ve never read any of his books.I prefer Dostoevskij,he's much stronger and intense.I really like “Crime and Punishment”.
J: Cycling is like hunting,like fishing.You’re a fisherman and a hunter.
I catch jackfish in the Oka river.Now sturgeons have come back there as well.Jackfish are aggressive,while I am not aggressive at all.It takes hours to bring a jackfish near to you and finally catch him.I hunt siberian ducks as well.I wait for them in October,when the cold weather begins and they start to migrate.
J: In the Giro’s fable,Di Luca’s the bad wolf.Who are you?
Orel means “Eagle”,Ivan the Terrible founded it and there was an eagle inside his coat-of-arms. The Wolf and the Eagle.Is it ok in this way?
J: Rome is the destination.That's where the Giro’s streets will lead you...
It’s a good theatre.I know the city and I’ve already been in the Vatican city.Michelangelo’s Pietà is extraordinary…
J: Inside that sculpture there are both beauty and faith.Tolstoj was looking for God.And you?
I'm a believer and my wife’s got a strong faith.We belong to the Orthodox Church,but I don’t bring any icon with me in my suitcase.
J: The Giro end in front of the Colosseo…
I know.The Giro is a gladiators’ battle,just like life.

(Photos TDW and Bettini photo)

4 commenti:

  1. My, that interview certainly humanizes Menchov.

    RispondiElimina
  2. I think everything that happened during the last 3 weeks has humanized him.Yesterday he looked really human (and also a bit possesed...).

    RispondiElimina
  3. Also, your translation is fine, especially the part about Menchov not trusting Pellizotti. Hmm, maybe he has issues with Hair Gel users...

    RispondiElimina
  4. Glad to know the translation was good.I study languages at school,but sometimes I do terrible mistakes.

    Uhm,interesting theory about Menchov and Hair Gel Users:especially if you consider that Menchov's hairstyle hasn't changed over the last 20 years...

    RispondiElimina