lunedì 13 aprile 2009

Paris-Roubaix:Boonen!!!!

So,here I am again.Lots of things have happened in the last few days,and in this post I'm going to talk about Paris-Roubaix,Vuelta al Paìs Vasco and Klasika Primavera.

First of all,on Sunday there was Paris-Roubaix,the queen of the classics.And in P-R,just like in Tour of Flanders,this year’s winner was the same winner of last year.And last year’s Roubaix’s winner was mr.Tom Boonen.
In my opinion,good and bad luck played a very important role in yesterday’s race.For example, Big George Hincapie’s chances were ruined by a flat tyre,while Martin Maaskant fell in the forest of Arenberg (fortunately he managed to finish the race).
But good luck (or bad luck,it depends on the point of view) was really evident (in my opinion) on Le Carrefour de l'Arbre,one of the last pavé’s sectors.Before of that,some of the strongest riders (Quinziato,Haussler,Fab Cancellara) had already been dropped by a 6 men group formed by Hoste,Van Summeren, Flecha, Boonen, Hushovd and,for Sansen’s joy,Pozzato.But,right on Le Carrefour de l'Arbre,“Van der Flecha”,Hoste and Van Summeren crashed.After few seconds,also Thor Hushovd crashed and so Tornado Tom found himself alone at the front of the race and gave his best to make Pozzato stay behind.After a great effort,Tom Boonen arrived in Roubaix's velodrome and was able to win his 3rd Paris-Roubaix.Chapeau.
Second came Pozzato,while third was Hushovd.Best SB’s rider was Matti Breschel,10th.
Now,you won’t believe it but,during the final kms of the race,I was really worried about what Miss Sansen would have said if HGS had won the race.Because if HGS had won the race,I would have had to post a photo of him,and writing his name on Google just to look at his photos would have been pretty frightening for me.
Btw,I must admit that Pozzato raced well yesterday.Or,at least,he raced better than usual.And then he didn’t blame anyone for his second place.Perhaps he's really getting better.
Keeping on talking about yeserday's race,you might have heard that a motorbike driven by a man of the organisation ran over 16 supporters.Fortunately,none of them needs to undergo any operation and they're all fine (even if a girl of 4 year-old broke a collarbone).
Btw,here’s the GC:
1 Tom Boonen (Bel) Quick Step 6.15.53 (42.343 km/h)
2 Filippo Pozzato (Ita) Team Katusha 0.47
3 Thor Hushovd (Nor) Cervelo Test Team 1.17
4 Leif Hoste (Bel) Silence-Lotto
5 Johan Van Summeren (Bel) Silence-Lotto 1.22
6 Juan Antonio Flecha (Spa) Rabobank 2.14
7 Heinrich Haussler (Ger) Cervelo Test Team 3.13
8 Sylvain Chavanel (Fra) Quick Step 3.15
9 Manuel Quinziato (Ita) Liquigas 5.00
10 Matti Breschel (Den) Team Saxo Bank 5.29
16 Kurt-Asle Arvesen (Nor) Team Saxo Bank
17 Niki Terpstra (Ned) Team Milram
30 Marcus Ljungqvist (Swe) Team Saxo Bank
32 Matthew Goss (Aus) Team Saxo Bank
38 Greg Van Avermaet (Bel) Silence-Lotto
44 George Hincapie (USA) Team Columbia - Highroad
45 Lars Bak (Den) Team Saxo Bank
48 Kasper Klostergaard (Den) Team Saxo Bank 6.45
49 Fabian Cancellara (Swi) Team Saxo Bank 6.48
55 Stijn Devolder (Bel) Quick Step 11.11
62 Edvald Boasson Hagen (Nor) Team Columbia - Highroad
84 Anders Lund (Den) Team Saxo Bank
92 Daniel Oss (Ita) Liquigas
94 Sebastian Langeveld (Ned) Rabobank 17.46
98 Martijn Maaskant (Ned) Garmin - Slipstream

Let's now talk about Vuelta al Paìs Vasco: the GC of the race was won by Contador,just like the last stage (that was a TT).
Frank Schleck had to retire because he had a light cold and didn’t want things to get worse.
Anyway,the nicest thing about this race (in my not-very-important opinion) was Pinotti’s win.He's a rider I really do like,he comes from my same area,writes articles for the local newspaper during the Giro,pays a lot of attention to ecology,has a degree and speaks Italian,English and German (and probably also a bit of our local dialect :D).Btw he's not a “too serious guy”.In fact,he loves the books about shopping (and shopaholics!) written by Sophie Kinsella! In few words,he's a very nice guy.
Klasika Primavera::this race was finally won by Valverde,but the thing who I care more about is Andy Schleck's retire.In fact Andy got retired and,absolutely worrying thing,I can’t understand why!!!! On SB’s team there isn’t any news at all,on Cyclingnews “idem”.Now,my suppositions (is this a word?) are:
1.he was cold (it was raining) and didn’t want to go on (even if that’s not typic of Andy).
2.he was cold and had a light cold so decided to retire because he didn’t want things to go worse.
3.the most worring case:his knee (or his Achilles tendine or whatever else) is still giving him problems.
Have you got any other suppositions??

NB:pretty photos of the Schlecks on these links:
Frank: http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos.php?id=/photos/2009/apr09/primavera09/fschleck
Andy: http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos.php?id=/photos/2009/apr09/primavera09/andyschleck
Is this Frank or Andy?:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos.php?id=/photos/2009/apr09/primavera09/andyschleckumbrella

(Photos by Gazzetta-Ap,Ap,Reuters).

5 commenti:

  1. I believe it's Fränk in the last picture. In the other pictures Fränk is wearing a jacket with the same colour and a red helmet. In the other picture Andy is wearing a white helmet. But I'm not sure

    RispondiElimina
  2. Indeed, that last picture is Frankie. As for Pippo, I am figuring out what his new tattoo says...

    RispondiElimina
  3. I also think that the guy in the last picture is Frank.I had some doubts because Cyclingnews said it was Andy,but sometimes they make mistakes just like all the other human beings.

    Sorry Sansen but I can't help you solving this big problem about Pippo's new tattoo because I still have to get over (?) the shock of seeing him not just on your blog,but also on today's Gazzetta. 3 Pozzato's pics in one day are too much for my poor eyes (have you read my last comment after the previous post?)

    RispondiElimina
  4. I have read your comment and will decrease my posting of his pictures...or at least post dramatic warnings about him like "WARNING: BEWARE HAIR GEL!" As for Gazzetta having his picture, I hope it was not on the front page because they should devote that to other talented Italian cyclists...and of course the Luxembourgese!

    RispondiElimina
  5. That would be very nice of you :)
    The picture on Gazzetta wasn't on the front page (fortunately),but inside the service of 2 pages about Roubaix.And,as always,Italian journalists have stated that "Pozzato looks like a model and is much beautiful than Boonen.Also when he rides,Pozzato looks wonderfully,while the Belgian keeps on moving his head".These are the statements that always make me go "WTF! Are you kidding me?".Unfortunately,the answer is "No.We're not kidding you".

    RispondiElimina