domenica 31 luglio 2011

2011 Tour de France: one week later


Last Saturday at 4.45 pm a tired, nervous, frustrated and sunburnt miss Fede was in her hotel room in a Spanish village, desperately looking for the local sportschannel on tv. Tiredness was a consequence of the long travel of the day before and of the noise made during the night by the Spanish seagulls (they are the worst creatures on Earth after Italian pigeons) and by the boys who went partying at 3 am and who thought it would have been nice to scream in the hotel's corridors at that time of the night, thus causing me to wake up many, many times. Frustration instead was caused by the fact that I was in a foreign country (which wasn't France) when the Tour was still up and running. Moreover, the weather sucked. As far as the 'sunburnt' bit is concerned, then, I have to admit that on our first day of holiday my friends and I were so shocked by the cloudy and windy weather that we decided not to bring our sunshades to the beach. As a consequence, on that afternoon I was looking like a giant lobster waiting to be served on a restaurant table together with some salad or soup. Nervousness instead derived from another fact: the Tour de France's time trial in Grenoble, which had already started and which was going to decide the eventual outcome of the 2011 Grande Boucle.
The day of my departure, I spent the whole afternoon screaming at my tv screen. After his deed on Galibier, I thought that Andy Schleck had a big chance of winning the Tour, but at the same time I feared that the efforts that led him to his historical victory on Galibiér would have made him more vulnerable during the Alpe d'Huez stage. Ah, Alpe d'Huez! The Queen of the Tour was waiting for the riders, with its amount of colours, cycling lovers and people who go there just because they want to be insulted by the true cycling followers (seriously, I believe that at least half of the people who go up to Alpe d'Huez are more interested in showing themselves off than in watching the race!!). Before meeting Her Majesty, however, the riders had to face Telegraphé and Galibier (for the second time in two days, poor things!) and, given the toughness of the parcours, every rider knew that this stage was going to shatter someone's dreams of victory and to reward someone else.
A group of breakawayers tried to look for glory (and for safety from the time cut) since the beginning of the day but, with 90 kms to go, everyone understood that the big names of the peloton wanted to smash the race. 'It's now or never', Contador probably thought as he attacked with 90 kms to go, after just 14 kms of race. The Spaniard was followed by Voeckler, Evans and Andy Schleck and they soon rode past the breakaway rider. Then, all of a sudden, Thomas got dropped (*chorus of 'Noooooooo!' coming from France*) and Evans had a mechanical problem. Once again, Andy the Luxembourgian and Alberto the Spaniard found themselves alone, at the head of the Tour.
As my respect for Contador grew bigger and bigger after his attack, my hope for a Luxembourgian victory in Paris became stronger and stronger. As soon as Evans and Voeckler got dropped, my brain stopped reasoning in a rational way and I let the Fangirl in me completely free. I was shouting at the tv, supporting Voeckler, screaming 'Drop him, drop him, YOU MUST DROP HIM TO WIN THIS F****** BIKE RACE!!!' as Evans (with a little help from Casar and Danielson) joined Contador and Schleck after the Galibier descent, and I was rejoicing when I saw Pierre Rolland winning the stage. Shortly afterwards I was overwhelmed with feelings when I saw Voeckler wearing his green Europcar jersey again and I was proud of Andy Schleck's yellow jersey - although, unfortunately, I had to skip the podium ceremony because I had to go the airport. Talking about airports: I landed in Girona which, by chance, is the city where a Russian cyclist that I stalked during the Giro lives. Luckily I didn't meet him, otherwise I'm afraid he would have had me arrested for stalking.
Anyway, back to the TT in Grenoble and to my hot hotel room in Spain. As my friends went out of the room in order to enjoy another hour of fun (and wind and cold) on the beach, I started suffering in front of that little television. I managed to find the right channel after two tries and, surprisingly, I could understand everything the chronists said. Moreover, I could also understand what Samu Sanchez and Contador (whose interviews with Spanish tv were really long) said. Unfortunately I was too nervous to rejoice for my achievements in the knowledge of the Spanish language because I knew that, in a few minutes time, the 2011 TdF winner would have been chosen.
As Cadel and Andy started their TT, I began to pray for a Luxembourgian victory. Unfortunately my prayers didn't work, since after a few kms it became clear that Evans was going to win the first Tour of his career by doing what he hadn't managed to do in 2007 and 2008: the time trial of his life.
As I saw Andy's jersey become less and less yellow, I susprisingly didn't feel anything. It was a surreal situation and (also because of the tiredness), I felt as if I couldn't realise what was happening. I thought (and hoped) I was dreaming. On the previous day I didn't have the time to reflect seriously on Andy's chances of keeping the yellow jersey and, as Evans took the overall victory, Schleck's yellow jersey soon started to look like a mirage to me. Did he really get it after Alpe d'Huez? Are we sure? Seriously, I was in a kind of trance. A trance that ended as soon as Andy crossed the finish-line, thus releasing his feelings.
I was overwhelmed with emotions too as I watched the lanky Luxembourgian sending the tv cameras away from him and hiding his head on his brother' shouder. In that moment, to me Andy stopped being a cyclist and he went back to being just a boy. And, in that moment, I understood what the Tour is for those guys. Evans the Aussie (aporpos, why does he remind me of a crocodile?) was rejoicing because, after all those years, he finally managed to take that cursed Tour victory; Andy Schleck looked very down because, after grazing the Tour victory for the third time in a row, he lost the race once again, thus becoming the first rider ever to nail three second placements in a row on the Champs Elysées podium; Frank Schleck, on the other hand, was sad because his brother had lost but, at the same time, he was happy for his 3rd place; Thomas Voeckler, instead, was probably cursing himself for the seconds he lost in the descent towards Pinerolo and for having gone à bloc too early in the Alpe d'Huez stage.
As the Spanish chronists started to remember what happened in the different stages of this year Tour, I switched off the tv. I didn't want to hear useless talks about the eventual outcome of the race because, after all, those talks couldn't change anything.
After the stage, my father phoned me to know how I was doing (he probably expected me to jump off the window for the disappointment :P). And, together, we talked about who really deserved to win this Tour. On the one hand, we agreed that Evans was great in the first week of race and on the Galibier; on the other hand, however, we said that Andy was superb in the Alps and that he was the strongest climber of the race, the one who made the race exciting in the last days.
In the end, dad and I agreed that Andy was probably stronger than Cadel in the climbs, but we also agreed that the Aussie didn't deserve to lose another Tour. Andy is younger than Cadel and he still has a lot of time to win this race. Whereas Evans is already 34, in fact, Schleck is just 26 - he's not the young puppy who was 2nd in the Giro 2007 anymore, ok, but let's remember that a guy like Basso won his first GT at 29 and that OGL has already won Liége and has the most impressive collections of second placements of Cycledom. He still has a lot to learn and a lot of time to race, so he must take things day by day.
Talking about the Tour raced by And, some may not be satisfied by his second placement. But still, I think there are two ways to look at this year TdF podium: the 'romantic' way and the cold-minded way.
Those who like a bit of romanticism will be happy with this year's podium. First Cadel Evans, who last year lost the chance of winning the Tour and the Vuelta because of facts not depending on his will. Second and third, two brothers, Andy and Frank. Andy, the rough diamond of cycling, still has to shine on the top spot of a GT podium, but I'm sure that one day he will. As far as Frank is concerned, I think that last Sunday he had one of the best days of his whole life. Standing on the podium with his brother and his super-cute daughter must have been amazing for him and now this podium will surely make him aim higher as far as the next GTs are concerned. The boy is shadowed by Andy's talent, but he's one of the best riders of the world too.
If, instead, you decide to watch this year's podium from a technical, cold-minded point of view, well, perhaps you'll think that Andy Schleck can't be satisfied with his second place, because this year he was the strongest climber and he made a mistake when he didn't attack in the Pyrenées. But still, being angry at And now really makes no sense: the boy has showed us once again that he has everything it takes to become a champion and, sooner or later, his day will come. He has the personality and the braveness of a champion, he just needs to improve from the tactical point of view, to learn to calm down before speaking to the press and to race more in order to be more loved not just by the supporters, but also by the press  (apropos, French journalists  call him 'Andyfferent' -.-"). Hopefully already in the next weeks we'll see him getting good results together with Frank, who yesterday got a very good 6th place in San Sebastian.
Oh, a last thing to say about Andy and the cycling press/supporters: some may now start to call him a loser, but don't forget that Evans had that very same nickname until 2009. Then, he won the Worlds Championships and he won the Tour. Wow!
As far as the podium scenes are concerned, I've recently seen them on YouTube (I decided not to watch the last stage) and I think that the cutest moment was when Frank brought his daughter Leea on the podium. Seriouly, the girl is as classy as Alan Gilbert!
Moreover, I'm glad to see that the awful prizes that were given every year to the 2nd and to the 3rd riders of the GC have finally changed. In fact, the two plates of glass have been replaced by two little bicycles, which look a bit better and which definitely look like trophies.
Unfortunately I haven't seen any pics from the post-Tour parties yet (actually, I didn't even look for them), so I can't say anything frivolous about fashion and things like that.

So. This year Tour has been stressful, long and full of emotions (from desperation and shock to admiration and joy, passing through fear, hope and disappointment), but I really enjoyed it. I often got angry at Andy Schleck but, in the end, I was super proud of him and I also changed some of my harsh opinions about him. However, Andy, would you be so kind to take part in more races next year? People love you, they can't wait until the Ardennes Classics to see you racing so well once again!!

(pic by Bettini)

10 commenti:

  1. Ah, Fede, you made me all sad again...

    But never mind that - you're BACK! :D I've missed you, it's been so quiet (and as a consequence of that I took to spamming Eisen Andy instead :P Oops.)! Hope you had a great time despite the lack of sun and the Tour-disappointment.

    Here are some pictures of the post-Tour parties: http://www.sporten.dk/cykling/klar-parat-tour-fest
    Just ignore the fact that they call Martine Leea :P

    But what am I doing! I have to tell you this: Chris Anker's girlfriend has gone into labour! :D Or, hopefully, the birth is over or I feel VERY sorry for her! I was at a criterium in Denmark on Thursday night, Chris was supposed to be there but just as we arrived, the speaker announced that he wasn't coming because he had to rush off to the hospital with Michelle! But I have yet to find any info on the birth or baby... Except Friday morning, I found an article saying it had not yet started so maybe it was false alarm, I don't know.
    Anyway, I just thought you'd like to know :P

    OK, and to talk about some actual cycling: I'm proud of Andy. Yes, he was probably the best climber but it just wasn't enough. Maybe he made mistakes but there's really not much reason to keep going through them - he'll be back next year, and he'll win!
    I think he's handling his second place better this year than last year (ah, yes, we all remember) - he can't look back at this year's Tour and think about Chaingate or Fränk crashing out.

    I've been kind of alone this year with my Schleck-love at home since my brother is a Saxo Bank-supporter. But on the Alpe d'Huez stage we joined forces again and screamed just like you that they should drop Evans and GO! See, my brother doesn't like Evans (and he doesn't hate the Schlecks as so many other Saxo-supporters out there) so when Bertie lost his chances of winning the Tour, he was rooting for Andy with me. For strange reasons, it made me very happy :P

    One last thing - about the trophies they got for second and third, Andy was so cute right after the ceremony: I think it was a Danish journalist who caught him right after for a quick word and he asked him something about how he felt being second again and Andy said: "I didn't get this trophy before so I'm happy!" Awww, that's our boy!

    RispondiElimina
  2. Oh yes, miss Fede is back!! :D

    I had a lot of fun in Spain, but I would have liked to stay there longer.

    Yay, pictures from the Tour parties!! It's so easy to make this Fangirl happy :D
    I really like Martine's dress! And don't the brothers look a bit bored in that picture with her? And then: did Quemeneur and Rolland buy their suits at the same shop? They look like twins!

    Thank you for telling me about Chris' baby! If she still isn't born, I think we can say that she's making her parents wait a lot for her!
    I really do hope everything is over by now and that the little family is fine and happy. Waiting for the baby to come must be/must have been very stressful both for Michelle and for Chris! Right now I send all my support to miss Sorensen - if she's still waiting to go into labour, she surely needs it!

    Keeping on talking about Andy's mistakes in the Tour is useless, because it won't change anything. I actually think that supporters should be happy with what our boys achieved - two great placements which have catapulted them in the cycling history once again!!

    It's always great to root for your favourite rider with someone else. My terrible uncle took two days off in order to watch Galibiér and Alpe d'Huez stages and I was so proud when he told me that he was happy with Andy's performances! In the end, he was rooting for him too ;)

    Awh, Our Glorious Leader is always so sweet!

    RispondiElimina
  3. Wrote a lot of things, then pushed something, all gone. I'll try again tonight.
    In the meantime, and this time for real, Andy and Jill kissing :P
    http://fuckyeahandyschleck.tumblr.com/#8296030405
    So romantic! :-)

    Francesca

    RispondiElimina
  4. Fede, I'm hoping you didn't spend the whole of your vacation in Spain being cross with Andy--I know I didn't. I knew it was over before the Time Trial, and my heart broke a little (funny thing about sports, when you're in a foreign country, and the commentators are speaking a language you don't understand, NOTHING they say can ostensibly irritate you :P!) Hey, us monolinguals have to turn our ignorance into an advantage sometimes, you know?

    Anyway, I just submitted my report on Stage 21 to Bananas About Bikes. I hope it goes through; it's way too long, even longer than my comments. Shocking, I know!

    http://individual.utoronto.ca/montag/stage21.html

    RispondiElimina
  5. Oh dear, I'm always just like that when it comes to sunburn. I've never had a tan in my entire life, it just burns, peels off and goes back to white.

    Btw, may I just say that you're an awesome writer. Reading this article, I went back to last week, the goosebumps and all. It's vibrant, alive, objective but not void of emotion. Way to go!

    Did anyone else think that it was terribly intrusive of the journalists to film Andy and Frank hugging after the TT? Okay, it goes that it was a (very, very) public place with many cameras, but still. For some reason it felt wrong to keep watching with that someone in the background screaming "Stop! Just stop!" Disrespectful much?

    Frankie bringing Leea to the podium is my number one favorite podium moment. Okay, maybe it's a tie between that and the brothers holding hands over Cadel's head.
    No, seriously, I was just so happy for Frankie in that moment. I'm very guilty of slightly overlooking his place in all this until then. It just hit me like - whoa, this man must be beyond himself now.

    All the best wishes to Chris Anker and Michelle (and their little girl, of course)!

    P.S Here's a really cool vid.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYUBWWF0qAE&feature=view_all&list=PLF79850DD7F492729&index=0

    RispondiElimina
  6. Hey Fede, welcome back! ;) Nice party photos Susanne, thanks for sharing. What an exciting time for Chris and Michelle.. hope it all goes well :-)

    I'll go for the Romantic description.. I loved this year's podium (though I hated all the crashes, what if.. but I shouldn't think like that). Leea on stage, I agree girls, such a cute moment!! Those are in fact very girly moments haha, I also think Alan Gilbert is a supercutie :-)

    RispondiElimina
  7. I forgot to add that I too prefer the romantic description.

    RispondiElimina
  8. @ Francesca: Aaawh, they're so cute!! <3
    I just hope that the paparazzis don't disturb them too much - otherwise, Andy should just call us: the Fangirls army is ready to take arms in order to defend the privacy of their Glorious Leader and of his girlfriend!

    @ Figbash: Thank you very, very, very much for that post for BaB - it is very good! Unfortunately I still don't know when we'll publish it, but I'll surely tell you when the moment comes. And don't worry for its length- my reports from the 2009 Tour de France were so long that an Italian blogger congratulated me for writing the longest post he had ever seen. It was quite an embarassing moment!!

    I've read on Twitter that you had bad weather too during your holiday. I'm Italian and during the summer I'm used to 35 degrees, so this year I'm experiencing a very strange summer. Not that I complain: if you don't go on holiday, here in Italy the heat can often become unbearable!!

    I must admit that after Saturday I didn't have a lot of time to think about Andy's lost Tour, so I didn't even have the time to feel terribly sorry for him. After all, I had more 'direct' problems to deal with! The following evening, for example, I managed to flood my hotel room as I was having a shower. There I was, singing and relaxing, when a friend of mine started knocking on the bathroom door, screaming something like: 'Holy cow, open this stupid door and stop showering! You've flooded the whole room, there is water even under the beds!!' Seriously, I spent the whole Sunday evening feeling sorry for that, especially because one of my friends had to clean everything as I was getting dressed (poor thing, it wasn't even her fault!), and another friend of mine made me feel like a complete idiot and started treating me badly. And still, I haven't quite realised how I managed to cause such a mess!!

    @ Cristin: Knowing that you enjoy my writing flatters me, dear! <3

    As soon as I got off the airplane, my mother hugged me, watched me and asked me if I had forgotten my tan in Spain -.-"

    I too think that the journalists weren't very respectful in that moment. The ruders aren't part of a reality show, cameras shouldn't film
    them in such difficult moments! If I were a tv journalist, I'm afraid I would get fired after a few days because I would refuse to interview/film someone who has just lost a race right. Those guys are human beings too, they deserve some respect!

    I completely agree with you about Frankie. Everyone was focused on Evans and Andy in the last days of race, but when he brought Leea on the podium, I think that everyone realised that he was there too.

    Why do I always get moved when I see videos like that one? ;)

    @ Marleen: The first two weeks of the Tour have been quite negative because of the crashes, but the last week was simply amazing.

    Things would have surely been different with guys like Vino, Wiggo and VDB racing, but unfortunately it's useless to think about what could have happened :(

    Alan and Leea, they're both so cute!!

    RispondiElimina
  9. Fede, let me add here that I too love your prose style, and the emotional investment you put into these posts. Again, if I wanted a cold retelling of technical facts, I could always read Velonews, but I really do love to read articles passionately written.

    I'm sorry that your friends were cross with you about the flooding incident. To me, that's really something to laugh about, than get mad over :)

    I too had some bathroom adventures in France. The washrooms in the Louvre, near the Napoleon III Apartments, really, really SUCK! There are only two stalls, and they ran out of toilet paper--the most essential thing in the world, besides soap, and a loo. And at the Palais Garnier (which was otherwise gorgeous) tourists had thrown their water bottles in the stalls, and there was no soap on the first floor. A place so grand, and lavish, with a Chagall ceiling, and no soap? LAME. And just forget about going to a washroom in Versailles. You're better off finding a time machine, going back to the court of Louis XIV, outrunning the guards, and trying your luck there.

    My hotel was quite nice, except that the locks on the door were quite ancient, and hard to bolt. I think I lost a total of 5 minutes, everyday, just wrestling with the lock. I was also not expecting the hotel shower to have one of those removable, handheld shower heads (I hate those), so it was quite a game trying to get the shower head to stay still, and not give the wall a bath!

    The weather in France was actually ideal for me. I love autumnal weather, and I can't walk very far in the sweltering heat. Strolling through Père Lachaise Cemetery, with the leaves turning orange, was really very beautiful.

    RispondiElimina
  10. After the shower-accident, a friend of mine and and I actually had an argument and since then we kept on arguing for the whole holiday. She was so annoying!! Luckily didn't get angry at all, not even when the water almost reached their suitcases.

    LOL at your bathroom adventures!! If you ever come to Italy and, more precisely, to Milan, remember: never go to the Castello Sforzesco bathroom.

    Don't get me started about locks! I once managed to break a key in the lock of my very own house, so you can imagine my fights with keys and doors when I'm in a hotel :P

    I hate those shower heads too and I actually blame one of them for having caused the flooding in my hotel room!

    This year's weather is perfect to visit big cities, but unfortunately it isn't that good if you decide to go to the seaside :(

    RispondiElimina