The second stage of the Tour has come and gone and it has had some important effects on the GC. We all know that the Tour is a 3 weeks long race, but there are guys who have already lost a meaningful amount of time after just two days of race. In particular, Samuel Sanchez is already 2' 36" down in the GC and, considering he's not the best climber out there, he might have already lost all his chances to get on the podium in Paris.
Also Contador has already got a meaningful delay from the yellow jersey (1'36") but, in spite of that, I think we shouldn't cut him out of the list of GC contenders yet. In fact, Alberto is a rider who can gain up to 40" in just one mountain stage, so I won't consider him out of the 'battle for yellow' until I see the final podium in Paris.Another rider who's got a meaningful delay after just two stages is Ivan Basso, whose team had a disappointing result this afternoon. Right now in fact Ivan has a delay of 57" from the yellow jersey - and a delay of 53" from Andy Schleck. Basso probably knew that his team wouldn't have been the best one this afternoon, but perhaps he didn't expect such a big delay.
However, imo, right now the only one who should start to worry about his final GC is Samuel Sanchez. This year in fact TTs aren't on his side and I think that, in the mountains, the Spaniard isn't as strong as Schleck, Contador, Van Den Broeck or Gesink. Therefore, I think it's very negative for him to have already lost a minute from his main adversaries.
Talking about los Schlecks, Leopard Trek was really good this afternoon. Cancellara did a tremendous amount of work and caused Joost Posthuma to get dropped after a few kms. Also Jens Voigt soon blew up and LT concluded its TTT with just 5 riders. This happened also because the Schleck brothers didn't actually work that much this afternoon. Frank in fact remained at the back of the team' single-file for the whole day, whereas Andy rode right in front of Frank. I never saw Frank taking turns at the front and, honestly, I saw Andy taking just two turns. Of course this is the strategy chosen by the team - a strategy with which I completely agree. By riding this way, Frank and Andy in fact could save up energy and they didn't even risk to slow down the team. And, by riding this way, LT got a wonderful 5th placement. Well done guys!
Actually, other two teams ended the TTT with the same time as Leopard Trek: Sky and BMC. BMC was really impressive this afternoon and Evans really did an awesome work for his team ('and for himself', I'd add). Also the riders from Sky did a great work, of course. Boasson Hagen for example (who's just recovered from herpes zoster, a very painful disease) was very good, just like Thomas and Wiggins. Talking about Sky: have I already mentioned I like their new jerseys? And still talking about jerseys: I screamed of joy when I discovered that Garmin was going to wear a white kit during the Tour. In this way, at least, we supporters can recognise those who ride for Garmin, those who ride for Sky and those who ride for Leopard.
As well as changing kit, however, during this year Tour Garmin has already done other important things like winning a stage (today's TTT) and getting the yellow jersey, which ended up on Hushovd's shoulders a few hours ago. Garmin won this team time trial in a great way, although I actually think HTC would have won if Bernie Eisel hadn't crashed in the first curve after the start.
Talking about other teams, 6th in the stage classification was Radioshack. Talking about this team, did you know that the only 'under 30' rider in its line-up is Braijkovic (who is 27)? Amazing.
Anyway. Back to today. 7th in the TTT was Rabobank, whereas 8th was Saxo-Bank, which ended itsperformance 28" down on Garmin. Saxo Bank was the first team to start the TTT and finished the stage with just 5 men. To my happiness, Chris Sorensen was amongst them.
Talking about Saxo Bank, did you read Richie Porte's last twit about Frank? If not, here's what happened.
Apparently, Frank and Richie shared a trip in a lift yesterday evening (they were in the same hotel) and, while walking out of the elevator, Frank gave a little 'gift' to Richie - who, in a very kind and friendly way, thought it would have been nice to tell the world about it.
This little anedocte pretty shocked me, because I really can't imagine the comments that Saxo Bankers made after Porte told them about that. Actually, I believe I don't even want to think about those comments :P At the same time, however, I can't help but imagining Frank walking proudly in his hotel room in order to tell his teammates about his heroic fart action against the enemy. Apparently, the fight between LT and SB will be very tough in the next weeks - and it will see the riders battling even in the hotels' elevators.
Anyway. Back to the TTT, 8th in the stage was Astana, who wore terrible kits that should be banished from Cycledom right here, right now. Luckily I discovered that those kits (who made the guys look like enormous jelly beans) were just a temporary thing, since experts think that the stuff they're made of could have helped Vino and his friends during their battle against the clock. Experts actually weren't that right, since Astana's time wasn't that good. But still, right now the most important thing is that we won't see those kits for a long time.
Oh, and talking about things that make the riders go faster during TTs: this afternoon I discovered that helmets allow the riders to gain 1" pro km when they battle against the clock. Moreover, I discovered that some of the pro's handlebars can cost up to 14.000 euros. Amazing, isn't it?
Anyway, let's go back to the race. 10th in today's stage was Omega-Pharma Lotto.
Gilbert looked great in his all-yellow look, but tomorrow he'll be forced to abandon it, because he lost the jersey to Thor Hushovd. Talking about Thor, does anyone know how the Norwegian chronists reacted when he got the yellow jersey? Seriously, I love those two men. And talking about jerseys: Gilbert thinks that Lotto's jersey is the worst one in the Pro-Tour. Nice, isn't it?
Anyway. Back to the race (once again). Another team (as well as Liquigas, Euskaltel and Astana) that didn't do that well in today's stage was Lampre, whose rider Adriano Malori could show off his brand new jersey of Italian TT champion for the first time this afternoon. Adriano is a very talented rider, but his efforts didn't prevent Lampre from finishing the stage 1 minute down on Garmin.
19th in the stage then was Movistar. Was I the only one who had very sad thoughts as she saw the riders facing the parcours?
21st instead was Cofidis, who had to wait for poor Toni Gallopin during the first kms of the race. Poor Toni, in fact, kept on having problems with his chain. However, the last team to end the TTT was Euskaltel Euskadi. Poor, poor Samu Sanchez.
So, this is all for the second stage of the Tour: while waiting for tomorrow's flat stage, I wish you a goodnight - and remember, always pay attention to the people who share an elevator with you!!

I heard something about Fränk has been stung by a wasp in his mouth during the TTT.
RispondiEliminaBarbara, he hit his head on a camera, got a cut from his helmet, and swallowed a bee, which proceeded to sting him from inside his mouth.
RispondiEliminaI wish these kinds of bizarre tragic-comic disasters would stop plaguing Frank.
Also, while I know a lot of people find Time Trials dull, I thought today's stage was quite exciting--I was rooting for Team Garmin-Cervelo.
Though it's early in the Tour, I think Cadel Evans is showing very good form thus far. BMC placed second at the Team Time Trial today, and I think he's a serious threat for the GC. I believe Leopard Trek actually placed 4th, which is a fantastic result for them! They are indebted to Fabian, who literally propelled the team forward, with the pace he was setting.
Philippe Gilbert was VERY handsome in yellow. He's sort of like the River Phoenix / Johnny Depp of cycling, isn't he?
In an elevator with a Schleck... I would pretend to be blind, whilst frantically pressing the "door open" button, to get off on the next floor, so that I could resume breathing.
Oh, poor Frankie, so unlucky...
RispondiEliminaThe commentators on TV2 kept talking about how bad the TTT was for Leopard Trek and los Schlecks because they barely pulled but they could do that because Fabian is so fantastic. I agree with you, Fede, I don't see that as a sign of weakness but tactics.
Saxo did a great TTT too (which was all we heard about here in Denmark, of course :P) considering the riders.
After the stage I was very proud of myself (ha, ha xD). I watched it with my brother and whenever I said something about tactics or something he looked at me with huge eyes. I like to think he was pretty impressed :P
@Figbash - I think I'd do the opposite and 'accidentally' hit the emergency stop button ;) A
RispondiEliminaA: :P
RispondiEliminaIf I was in a situation where the lift were to get stuck, I would be literally climbing out into the elevator shaft to escape.
Andy: I guess we are stuck here for a little while, no?
Me: Not even hanging around to make conversation, climbing the sides of the elevator like Spider Man, and punching the elevator ceiling.
Ha, ha, ha, Figgy! xD
RispondiEliminaI'd be staring at my phone, pretending to text the whole time. Reminds me of that episode of Friends where Chandler is stuck in the ATM vestibule - it would like that only without the pleasant conversation in the end :P
Hahaha, interesting comments here ladies ;) The TTT was indeed quite exciting to watch. Great title Fede, Thor de France :-)
RispondiEliminaToday's stage.. a very deserved victory for Tyler Farrar and of course he dedicates it to Wouter Weylandt. WW's dad asked Tyler to win a TdF stage for his son and now he did it.. amazing. They also showed an interview with Tyler's girlfriend on Sporza - very nice girl. This victory also shows Thor's great personality; he has yellow, but he rides for his teammate. Quite remarkable also that Tyler wins the third stage.. WW passed away during the third stage of the Giro (and won the third stage the year before).. no coincidence, right?
LOL at your elevator-talks, girls! :D
RispondiElimina@ Barbara: I've read something about Frank's problem with that bee, but unfortunately I couldn't find any detailed explanation of what happened.
Still, I think Frank was very lucky, since some riders (Will Clarke, just to name one) could have ended up in hospital after a problem like that with a bee.
@ Figbash: Frank's relationship with good luck is the craziest thing I've ever seen. On Saturday he was lucky (and good) enough not to crash, yesterday he was stung by a bee and cut his nose with his helmet... Considering that today he had a good day, I'm afraid of what could happen to him tomorrow.
I usually don't like TTTs, but I must admit they're always very spectacular to watch.
Talking about TTTs: has anyone read the feature on http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/feature-2001-a-team-time-trial-odyssey ?
I laughed out loud when I read that, after winning a TTT with Crédit Agricole, Jonathan Vaughters (who at the time was still a rider) was so drunk that he started to sing the opera on French television!!
You're right about LT, they indeed ended up 4th. Little mistake for this blogger, sometimes it happens ;)
Evans is showing a great form indeed, tomorrow he may even go and get the yellow jersey!! Too bad that he's not the luckiest rider in the bunch. Last year for example he got the jersey and broke his elbow on the following day, he was so unlucky!
Comparing Gilbert to Johnny Depp seems a bit too much to me... I don't know why, but I'd rather think of Tom Boonen as the Johnny Depp of Cycledom!
In an elevator with a Schleck? I agree with
@ A, in that circumstance I'd probably leave my fear of getting stuck in an elevator behind and I'd press the emergency button 'by chance' too! Although, if the brother started talking to me, I'm sure I wouldn't be able to say anything more clever than a 'huh' and an 'uhm' :P
@ Susanne: Saxo really did a great TTT, I was so proud when I saw Chris Anker crossing the finish-line together with his teammates (the poor thing is usually afraid of getting dropped in TTTs)!
But still, LT was better.Not that surprising, if you compare the line-ups of the two teams...
Ahah, it's always nice to surprise people with our knowledge of cycling! I think I did the same with my philosophy teacher the other day (although he quiet impressed me too)!! And yes, the Schlecks definitely weren't pulling not because they had a bad day, but because of a tactical choice (and also because Frank had all those problems).
@ Marleen: I must admit I copied that title from Gazzetta, they always use it when Thor wins something at the Tour!
Today's stage was so moving! I can't imagine what went through Tyler's mind in that moment. An Italian journalist said that Farrar and his girlfriend were both very moved after the podium ceremony, the last few weeks must have been extremely hard for them!!
That 'coincidence' is really strange, these are the things that actually make me believe we have a destiny (or something similar).
Thor is such an amazing guy! Strong, modest, clean, friendly... Definitely one of the best World Champions we could ever have :)
When you mentioned Jonathan Vaughters and Fränk Schleck's bee I had to think of this: http://twitpic.com/4bcu After winning that TTT in the TdF of 2001, Jonathan had to abandon the race after the 14th stage because of this wasp sting!
RispondiEliminaThey showed it yesterday in a new Dutch tv show about the Tour, "Tour du Jour". We actually now have 2 big Tour shows in The Netherlands, one with Mart Smeets (most famous sports journalist on tv here) and this new show. That is also why there are lots and lots of interviews with the Dutch riders now, which also made me notice Hoogerland's new hairdue (bald, just like Jakob).. ;)
Oh my God, that wasp sting is terrible! I'm very squeamish when it comes to having problems with eyes, so that pic really scared me! Gosh, and to say that I've never been stung by a wasp/bee... I just hope I won't discover I'm allergic to them when it first happens!
RispondiEliminaHolland is such a cycling-loving country! You're lucky to have so many shows about cycling - although, to say the truth, this year the Italian television is really doing its best to offer lots and lots of cycling races to its viewers. They're even broadcasting the Women Giro d'Italia in a decent way, which is just amazing!
Johnny Hoogerland was very good this afternoon, too bad that the peloton absolutely wanted to chase the breakawayers!
Johnny is very appreciated also here in Italy, although Italian chronists often make fun of his racing style (which, in their opinion, is 'a bit' too impulsive ;)
Really, next year fangirls should organise something to prevent the riders from cutting their hair in such a drastic way. Guys like Contador and los Schlecks did shave their heads but managed not to cause heart attacks to their female supporters, I wonder why other guys (*Fuglsang*) didn't make it :(
I know, I was shocked too when they showed that photo.. I had never seen it before and I can imagine him leaving the race immediately, since he couldn't get any medication for it (doping issues..) :(
RispondiEliminaLeontien Zijlaard-van Moorsel just talked on tv about women's cycling and that it hardly gets any attention here in The Netherlands.. great that in Italy they do show bits and pieces of the Giro Donne, that's more than we get to see here.. and Marianne Vos is leading now, so you'd expect some footage, but no..
Haha, yeah, a new hair rule! Good idea ;) Johnny was indeed really good today and it was strange that he didn't get the prize for most combative rider (French nationalism again?).. He can be a bit too impulsive, but he really likes to attack.. ah, who can blame him for that? :-)
Unfortunately, women cycling isn't very popular in any country. And imo this is a true shame, since those girls ride very well and their races are as exciting as the ones of the boys.
RispondiEliminaRAI is doing a good job by showing the last kms of the Giro Donne' stages every evening, but unfortunately I must admit that, since I'm spending my afternoons watching the Tour and my mornings / evenings looking for Tour-related stuff, my mother would kill me if I started watching other cycling races at 8.30 pm every evening.
Marianne Vos is a true monster, she's just 24 but she's already won so many races!
It's surprising that the Dutch medias aren't talking about her, especially if we consider that she's ruling the most important stage race of the women calendar!
I do believe that the Frenchmen are often too patriotic when it comes to the 'most combative rider' award. If there is a breakaway formed by 5 guys (a French, a Dutch, a Japanese, an American and an Italian), we can be sure that the red number will surely be given to the French rider.