venerdì 8 luglio 2011

Tour de Crash, 6th stage (plus three random links):

Today's stage of the TdF was won by Mark Cavendish, who found his second victory of this year Tour in the same place where he got his first win at the Grande Boucle. Cav was amazingly helped by his whole team (P. Velits, Martin, Goss, Renshaw, Goss, Van Garderen, Bak and Eisel) and managed to outsprint Petacchi and his old nemesis Greipel, who had tried to anticipate the sprint.
The Italian sprinter was particularly down after the stage: in an interview with Italian tv, not only did he sound sadder than usual (if you can imagine that...), but from his voice it sounded as if he was going to burst into tears. 'Ale, what is happening to you?', a RAI journalist asked him. Petacchi didn't answer immediately, but then he said: 'I don't know'. A few seconds later, the journalist ended the interview by saying: 'Sorry, but this is a very hard moment for Alessandro'. We couldn't see the images of what was happening, but I suspect that Ale actually started to cry. And all because of that stupid rule approved by the Italian Cycling Federation. Absurd.

Back to the sprint, it must be said that Chateauroux is a friendly pace for sprinters. In 1998 it was Cipollini who won a stage there, whereas in 2008 the French town witnessed the rise of Mark Cavendish. On both occasions, Erik Zabel was one of the toughest adversaries for the two eventual winners (he was 2nd in 1998 and 3rd in 2008).
Unfortunately, this stage gave us strong emotions not only during the sprint, but also in the last 35 kms of race. ''How nice! Why do you say 'unfortunately', then?'', I hear some of you ask. Well, the problem is that those emotions were produced by different crashes which involved many different riders.
A few kms after the beginning of the race, the first sad moment arrived when Boonen decided to give in and abandon the Tour. Too much sufference for the Belgian, who was really down when he had to leave the race. Hopefully, he'll be back in his top shape soon.
Then, with 35 kms to go, a very big crash (caused by the riders' lack of attention) put an end to Bradley Wiggins' dreams of glory. The English champion looked great at the start of the race, since I had never seen him so skinny (this year he weighted 2 kgs less than in 2009) and motivated. Unfortunately, for him the Grande Boucle ended on the way to Chateauroux.
Also Remi Pauriol was involved in the same crash as Wiggo and had to abandon the race. Horner, on the other hand, managed to keep on riding, although he crossed the finish-line with 12 minutes of delay. Levi Leipheimer instead had a mechanical after being involved in the crash and lost about 3 minutes in the GC. The same happened to Kreuziger.
As you can see, it was another bloody day at the office for some of the Tour riders.
Hoping to cheer you up a bit (this evening I'm in hurry), here I share with you some useful links.
http://blog.tv2.dk/chris.anker.ol/entry405528.html : as my most faithful readers already know, in July Chris Anker Sorensen writes on his blog more often than usual. Therefore, me links his blog to mine much more often than usual. In his last two posts Chris revealed us that he's rooming with Richie Porte, who teaches him a lot of Australian slang and snores a bit. Nicki Sorensen, on the other hand, is sharing a room with Brian Vandborg.
http://sansenmag.livejournal.com/: if you want to have some fun during the Tour, I suggest you taking a daily look at miss Sansen's blog. On it you can even find an exclusive list of 'who is rooming with whom' during the Tour :)
http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/nicolas-roche-robbie-williams-was-in-my-room-giving-it-socks-2812834.html : thanks to miss Sansen, miss Fede has recently come across the blog of Nicolas Roche. The guy is not only good-looking - he's also very good at blogging. And yes, he can ride bikes too. In this post, Nicolas tells us about a misadventure that he had after watching 'Finding Nemo' the other evening.

Enjoy!

6 commenti:

  1. Yes, I can also recommend Miss Sansen's blog - really funny and interesting posts! :-)

    Tour de Crash.. actually, now I'm thinking about it.. this whole year has been pretty much full of nasty crashes :(

    Nice blog by Nicolas Roche, thanks for sharing Fede :-)

    RispondiElimina
  2. Chris Anker and Richie are the best roomies ever! Oh, I'd love to sneak in to that room and hide myself behind a curtain and then watch them :P I'll probably give myself away because I'd start giggling...
    Oh oops, imagination starts talking
    Nice to read your posts everyday :)

    RispondiElimina
  3. @ Marleen: I've always liked miss Sansen's blog - she's very hilarious and she always manages to point out special stuff! I'm so happy that she's blogging so often in these days!

    According to the Italian chronists, the many crashes are a consequence of the fact that nowadays there are too many riders at the start of Grand Tours. Still according to them, allowing the teams to take 8 riders rather than 9 to the GTs could be a solution to this problem (I don't know if they are right or wrong :P)

    Nicolas Roche is such a funny guy! I love it when he talks about the atmosphere of his team in his posts! By reading his posts, one gets the impression that AG2R considers the Tour like a kind of funny (and tough) school trip!

    @ Mar: Ahah, I'd love to do that too! Listening to Richie teaching Chris some Australian slang would be simply great!

    Talking about roomies: do you know who is sharing a room with Jakob in this Tour? If it is Gerdemann, I can't imagine how much time they spend in front of the mirror!

    I'm trying to write something every day, I enjoy writing these things! :D

    RispondiElimina
  4. This is by far the funniest tweet conversation (between riders) of the week ;)

    Phinney: ‘The last four movies I have watched: Sucker Punch, (500) Days of Summer, No Strings Attached, Forgetting Sarah Marshall. #pattern #questionmark’
    Sutton: ‘All good films. I’ve got Michael Barry into Gossip Girl!’

    RispondiElimina
  5. Could someone explain me what is going on in the Tour this year? It’s getting more and more ridiculous! I’m so sorry for Vino, most likely it’s the end of his sport career. I hoped for stage win yesterday, while today this stupid accident. It was first thing I saw from today stage and it was really bad start of bad event. About car hitting the riders… I have no words.

    Good thing was Sanchez, who I like, so I’m happy for his win :) and Hushovd going in the dignity to the finish line in the best possible company…

    I would say something more about crashes… and about those who wisely keep themselves in front of peloton… but I don’t want to jinx, so I’ll say nothing… hush.

    RispondiElimina
  6. @ Marleen: Ahah, that's a very funny conversation! Gossip Girl, what a manly programme!!
    I'm really starting to have doubts about the movies watched by the riders :P One watches Gossip Girl, the other one watches 'Finding Nemo'... I believe the best ones are los Schlecks, whose saddles show that they know who the Blues Brothers are!

    @ Ania: Unfortunately, I'm afraid no one can explain why there are so many crashes. It's a matter of fact that nowadays roads are more dangerous than they were some years ago, but I don't think this is a decent excuse... Some blame the crashes on the riders' nervousness, but so far most of the crashes have been caused by rider lacking of attention... Perhaps the organisers should reduce the number of riders who take part in GTs and they should also try to include a difficult mountain stage already at the end of the first week. In that way, the gaps between the riders in the GC would become pretty big after a few days and, in theory, those who lose time should stop fighting for the top positions in the peloton.

    I didn't write anything after yesterday's stage because I was still too shocked, angry, worried and depressed. Vinokourov ended his career and Hoogerland was hit by a car, it was one of the worst TdF stages I've ever seen!

    Sanchez won and Voeckler got the jersey, but I can't help wondering how things would have gone without that car :(

    My mum keeps on asking me why the Schlecks never get mentioned in the post-stage news and, considering that so far only those who have crashed have been mentioned there, I always tell her to stop talking :P

    RispondiElimina