The epilogue of today's stage probably surprised many supporters. Not only Phil the Cannibal didn't win, but Thor Hushovd managed to keep the yellow jersey. And guess who won? Cadel Evans, who right now has become one of the most dangerous contenders for the final victory. However, what impressed me the most today was the way Evans got his victory: by outsprinting Contador in the very last meter of race.
Yes, Contador. I thought he could have done something good today, especially because he wanted to give a strong signal to those who have already counted him out of the race for the podium. Therefore, he was in the first positions of the peloton even before the start of the Mur de Bretagne.
Until that moment, few things had happened. Cunego had crashed before the beginning of the race, LL Sanchez had punctured and Johnny Hoogerland (together with Izagirre, Kadri, Erviti and the engineer Jeremy Roy) had gone on a breakaway. A pretty normal day at the Tour, in other words.
The few particular things to point out this afternoon were the funny pursuit of the peloton starring Romain Feillu in the last kms of race and, most important, Van De Walle's retire from the race. Jurgen abandoned the competition as a consequence of his crash on the first day of race and is now on his way to Belgium to have his left aductor examined.
Actually, Italian spectators had another thing that made today's stage pretty peculiar. In fact, Rolf Sorensen spent a few minutes of his busy afternoon in the van of Italian tv, commenting the race and remembering his goold old times in the peloton as a teammate of Davide Cassani.
As predictable, as soon as I saw Rolf I started screaming: 'Susanne, where are you??' and I also started to think about how Sorensen managed to escape from the van of the Danish tv in order to go chatting with Cassani.
After some minutes, Rolf had to abandon the Italian comment of the race because his colleagues were looking for him. But still, before going he said that Danish tv is doing a great job with broadcasting the Tour and added that they're broadcasting it all. One of the Italian chronists let him say those things but, as soon as Rolf disappeared from his sight, said that, in reality, no one broadcasts more hours of race than the Italian tv. Now me expects Rolf to give a reply to this statement in the next few days ;)
Anyway, back to the stage. In the last 10 kms of race, LT took the lead of the peloton. In the meanwhile, also Mollema showed himself at the head of the race.
When the final climb began, everyone could see Contador getting closer and closer to the head of the peloton which, in that moment, was controlled by the Lotto guys (Vanendert, Sieberg and Lang did a great job this afternoon). Unfortunately, LT wasn't visible anymore, although Frankie managed to reappear at the head of the race very soon. But still, Andy had already lost his way in the peloton and so, when Contador attacked in the steepest part of the climb, the young Luxembourgian leopard couldn't do anything but watch.
Gilbert, on the other hand, immediately jumped on Alberto's wheel and was followed by Evans, Kloden, Frankie (yay!), Uran, Samu Sanchez, Vinokourov, Van den Broeck and Hushovd (!!). Then it was Uran's turn to attack, although his try didn't have any luck. Therefore Contador tried escaping again, but he was followed by the other riders also on this occasion. As a consequence the race ended in a sprint, which saw Cadel Evans getting the victory right in front of Alberto. Alberto who, thinking he had won, raised his arms to the sky before being frozen by a bad stare coming from Evans (I'm exaggerating).
Talking about Contador's second placement, I think we can all say that it was caused also by the fact that he kept his hands on the upper part of his handlebar while sprinting - a beginner's mistakes, according to Cassani, which made him miss the stage victory.
Scrolling down the stage classification, we can see that third this afternoon was a great Vinokourov, 6th was a super Hushovd (the rider who impressed me the most this afternoon, there are no words to describe what he did!) and 7th was Frank Schleck. All those riders had the same time as the winner.
Wiggins and Basso, on the other hand, crossed the finish-line 6" after Evans, whereas Horner, Leipheimer and Schleck finished the stage 8" after the first 10 riders.
Of course, everyone has already started to say that today's stage showed us that Contador is very strong and that Andy Schleck is really weak. Personally, I feel like underlining the fact that Andy doesn't like short climbs, so he doesn't usually ride that well on them. But still, I must admit that, imo, OGL made a mistake at the start of the climb: he wasn't in the first positions of the peloton. As a consequence, when Conti attacked, he couldn't follow him.
I found Andy's wrong position inside the peloton a bit strange, since LT had been at the head of the group for some kms before the start of a climb. But still, all of a sudden, it became impossible to spot Leopard riders at the head of the bunch. In the following seconds, Frank had to struggle hard to go back to his original place, whereas Andy didn't make it. Actually, I'd like to know what caused the guys to get so scattered through the peloton in the last kms of race.
Anyway, although Contador gave a good signal, I think we can say that today's stage wasn't completely negative for los Schlecks. In fact, Frank was simply fantastic, whereas Andy (in spite of everything) could limit his time loss in a great way.
(Pic by Sirotti)
(Pic by Sirotti)


Hushovd really impressed me today! Wow, just wow.
RispondiEliminaRolf visited you? :D Isn't he just fun? xD I have no idea when he had time to leave... Oh, wait! Technically, TV2 doesn't broadcast everything as they seem to find it necessary to show the news at 2 and 4 (like, thirty minutes total, with commercials and all). And today Rolf said at some point (after the 2 o'clock news, I think) that he'd been talking to his "Italian friends" as he calls them (he does that almost every day) - must have been there. I didn't know he was actually joining them, though, I just thought they were talking a bit outside before going on but apparently not :P
I'm not worried about Andy's time loss. As you say, it's not really a climb for him and he was boxed in when Bertie attacked. That was the only mistake really. I don't understand that at all 'cause they were all up there and then suddenly they were gone... But I guess things like that happens and everyone wanted to be up front.
Thor was simply amazing today, I was speechless when I realised he had managed to keep the jersey! He's such a great man (and a great rider too, of course) :)
RispondiEliminaYes, Rolf did visit me! :D When the Italian chronists said that he was there with them, I immediately thought of you!
We were talking about him the other day, and today I get the chance of listening to him commenting part of a Tour stage for Italian tv. What a priceless experience :)
Sorensen seems a really nice guy and I laughed a lot when he said that one of his old ds used to say that 'the true champions are those who never crash, never puncture and never get ill'. Moreover, I was really impressed by Rolf's Italian: it is flawless!
Now I understand! Rolf probably talked with his Italian friends at 2, and promised he would have met them later in the afternoon. And at 4 o'clock, he escaped the van of Danish tv in order to visit the RAI's one. In fact, now that you make me think of it, I remember he appeared on my screen exactly at 4 pm - and he had to leave 15 minutes later. However, he promised he would be back in the next days ;)
I can't understand why LT made that mistake either, but I think that, after all, it can happen to have problems like that during the first week of the Tour.
Hahahah, the true champions-comment is a classic - he probably says it at least once every day. During Paris-Roubaix he said it, like, five times or something, mostly in relation to Tom Boonen who didn't have the best race. The other commentators always laugh at him when he mentions it :P
RispondiEliminaAnother of his fave comments is "They're never seeing him again!" Usually accompanies Fabian or Vino when they attack. So funny when he's wrong :P
Once during... OK, can't remember which race... it was Belgian :P Anyway, he mentions crosswinds and says something like "Look at the trees how windy it is!" There's a silence where I look at the screen and think "Am I missing something? It's all flat - there are no trees what so ever!" Then Rolf says, slightly embarrassed: "Well, of course, right now there aren't any trees..."
OK, I've rambled on long enough about him, there are just so many fun things to tell about him! And I love him :P (And I'm a bit bored, sorry!)
He's lived most of his life in Italy so I expected his Italian to be good. Actually, he's more Italian, you know, personality-wise than Danish.
Listen for Rolf's ever-present mention of Vino - he believes he can win every single stage :P
It was such an interesting stage today.. lots of things happening, especially in the last k's :-) I thought it was really cool that Cadel Evans won, since Phil was the favorite for the win. Now I'm going to watch tv, Steven Kruijswijk is a guest in one of the two Tour shows and so he visited the Tour today! :D
RispondiEliminaFede, these days I love your blog more than ever. You are my window on Tour because I still can’t watch it live (I’m going to explain you everything, you know where, but tomorrow morning). I was so frustrated because I couldn’t see TTT and I really love this kind of race (it looks so... aesthetically, doesn’t it?). What’s more Leopards did it great... and Tour seems so exciting from the very beginning this year! Still without me (*crying awfully*).
RispondiEliminaI’m happy for Hushovd and I’m not that surprised that he is still in yellow. He can do quite good in mountains... well today it wasn’t mountains... And I’m glad that Bercik (Alberto... I call him that way. It’s nothing bad, only his name in another form) didn’t win (now you can recall Andy’s laugh in car in Spa, that’s something I did also when I saw the results of first stage ;) ). As for Andy today, we all know what he’s like... he loses things, he forgets... Today he got lost in the peloton and forgot who to follow. Or at least that my point of view.
Could you, girls, cross your fingers for me, please? Maybe then I’ll finally watch some race live on Saturday.
@Ania
RispondiEliminaLol, got lost and forgot who to follow. You're a funny one, I see. Fingers crossed ;-)
Awww... I'm missing on all the chronist fun. Not fair.
I must mention that I'm having a nice laugh at PhilGil. The guy has either a really good sense of humor or a really good sense of fashion. Either way, good thing. And, happy birthday to him!
The finish today was great. I actually believed that Contador had won until they played the photo-finish. The angle made it look like that. Personally, I like it better this way :P
I had a nice little laugh at Feillu panicking after his puncture. Not a snide laugh, but compassionate one. The poor thing was all but jumping in place as he waited for his new wheel.
Oh, you tagged the wrong Feillu on the bottom of the post, dear ;-).
Am I the only one who hoped that los Schlecks were going to pull a CI when LT took the lead? I was a little bummed when they scattered around, but Frankie's 3rd overall sure saves the day. :D
These first few stages have been entertaining, if not exciting, so it will be disappointing if the next few flat days have nothing except Cavendidh wins; please, oh please, let the breakaways succeed!
RispondiEliminaFinally, I was able to see a stage live, so now I can comment usefull things because I know what I'm talking about :P
RispondiEliminaI anonymously hoped Vino would win, but I found myself cheering for Cadelleke (Belgian tv) because I did not want Contador to win.. I was happy to see Vino and Thor in the final!
Fränk was also very good, in my head I kept saying: I told you he is better than his brother! But then another voice started saying: Wait for the long climbs, just wait.. Andy will come.
I'm really not worried about Andy. It was weird to see LT disappearing from the front, but things like that happen in a nervous final. Bam bam bam and you lost a few places. Eight seconds isn't much and Andy (Jakob Frank and Linus) is still in the top 10, lovely!
Both Gesink and Andy said that this is nothing to worry about.. Just wait, people... The real mountains are yet to come.
Fede, nice to see you blogging so much! I can barely keep up with reading!
Girls, your crossed fingers work! Thanks :) Thanks Cristin!!!
RispondiEliminaI hope Tom Boonen makes the time limit--this is the thing about cycling that astonishes me. In almost any other sport, an athlete would pull out of a competition to tend to their injuries, but cyclists just grit their teeth, and push on. Amazing.
RispondiEliminaCome on Tom!
@ Susanne: Ahah, right now I'm wondering how many times Rolf said his famous sentence yesterday!
RispondiElimina"They're never seeing him again!", I actually say that too every time Fabian attacks ;)
LOL at the three anedocte!
Good old Rolf is really growing on me, I hope he'll soon comment other stages for Italian tv!
Surprisingly, the other day Rolf never mentioned Vino - he was probably too busy remembering his goold old times with Cassani ;)
@ Marleen: Kruijswijk on tv, how lucky! Unfortunately the only Italian (former) rider who seems to visit the Tour in these days s Mario Cipollini :P Yesterday he talked about Galimzyanov and he seems to have fallen in love with that guy!
Actually, now that I think of it, the other day Ulissi watched the TTT from the RAI studios of Milan, but he didn't say anything particularly interesting. Did Steven say something interesting / funny?
Imo Cadel has improved a lot since his Worlds victory in Mendrisio. People used to call him 'wheelsucker', but now he's become a very attacking rider!
@ Ania: I'm very happy to know that my posts have been useful for you :) And I'm even more happy to know that now you can see the race too!
The first TdF stages have been exciting, but the last ones will be even better (and, of course, miss Fede won't be able to see them because of her cursed holiday in Spain).
Thor is such a great rider! The other day he managed to keep the wheels of Gilbert, Evans and Contador on a steep climb, he was simply amazing!
To say the truth, when I saw that Contador hadn't won I felt relieved too... Otherwise, the press would have surely started to put Andy under pressure and right now everyone would still be talking about 'the Great Contador from Beefland, the one who won the Giro and is now doing great at the Tour - whereas his adversary Schleck just focuses on one race pro year and isn't even in the best form'.
LOL at the 'Andy forgot who to follow' remark!
@ Cristin: PhilGil is a nice guy with a great love for details- he has a different wrist watch every day, according to which jersey he's wearing!
I was happy too when I saw that Evans had won, also because this was Cadel's first Tour de France 'true' victory (he was awarded with a stage win in 2007 after Vinokourov got banned from the race for doping).
Thank you very much for making me notice the tagging mistake! I wrote 'Feillu' at the moment of tagging, but the computer tagged the wrong brother ;)
Romain seems such a nice guy, I hope he'll manage to win a stage!
When I saw LT at the head of the peloton, I didn't think the brothers would attack (Andy doesn't like this kind of uphill finishes), but I did believe that Frankie was going to attack in the last meters of race - after all, he's a good puncher, although he's not very fast. Instead, he didn't attack. Apparently, the brothers are doing everything they can to save energy for the upcoming weeks -and, imo, that is a very good strategy.
@ Sansenmag: Luckily, Cav isn't the only sprinter in the peloton - what about a victory by Galimzyanov? Or one by Swift? Really, that would be a nice surprise for this fangirl.
RispondiElimina@ Mar: I anonymously cheered for Vino too, the other day. Although, actually, in the last kms of that stage I was in a very 'Anyone but Contador' mood :P
Frank is better than Andy in short climbs that require power, but Andy is slightly better in TTs and in long climbs. But still, I do believe they both have a chance of winning this year Tour.
Ahah, I'm blogging so much because I didn't blog at all in June!
Actually, even before creating this blog I used to write little resumes of the races I saw. The only difference between those resumes and my blog posts is that the latter ones are made to be read, whereas the other ones were stupid things written in Italian with a very ironic / funny style.
@ Figbash: Boonen was a true hero yesterday. He grit his teeth and today he's on the road again. There are no words to describe the resistance and the passion of these guys <3