venerdì 24 settembre 2010

Bennati to Team Luxembourg, Porte wants freedom and random marketing reflections of mine:

To everyone's joy, miss Fede is pretending she doesn't have any history homework for tomorrow and is here to delight you with a new great post of hers. In fact,it seems that the riders' exodus from the former glorious Team Saxo Bank may continue with Richie Porte's exit from the team and so me feels in need of commenting on this news. If things continue this way, in fact, I'm afraid that the only guys who'll take part in Saxo Bank's first training camp next year will be Chris Anker Sorensen and Alberto Contador. Or, perhaps, Chris will get fed up by Riis before of the end of this season too, will decide to create his own personal team with the help of Nicki Sorensen (the events of the last months show that you need to be in two and have the same surname to create a new successful team) and his new team will steal some other riders from Bjarne Riis as well. Obviously, the name of the team will be the Danish translation of the sentence 'We Sorensens aren't brothers, keep it in mind!'
I'm obviously trying to joke, but the latest news about Richie Porte (who may leave Saxo Bank too,although his contract expires at the end of next year) really leaves me speechless. If I were Bjarne, I would probably be very angry right now and my favourite dream would probably be Alberto Contador's 4th Tour de France triumph.
Actually, what's happening to Saxo Bank reminds me a lot of the Murphy Law. I don't have a big knowledge of it but, after all, who has never heard famous sentences like 'Everything that can go wrong, goes wrong' and so on? Actually, there is one application of the Murphy law which says that 'Everything goes wrong at the same time'. Well, imo these words seem born to describe what's been going on at Saxo Bank over the last months.
Talking about Porte, btw, the young Tasmanian has told Cyclingnews that, although he's got another year of contract with Riis, he hasn't decided yet whether he'll ride for SB or not next year (http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/porte-considering-his-options-for-2011 ).
Obviously Riis exploded with anger at the news and complained about the behaviour of Richie's agents and managers. 'The problem is that managers and agents are pushing the riders to their limits and advise their riders wrong. Contracts must be respected', Bjarne said. 'Richie's manager continues to provoke and try to push us. We have told them that it cannot happen. He cannot be bought off. Yet they continue.It's fair enough for a manager to ask,but when he is told no, he must stop. He pushes lawyers and everything at us,but according to the rules you don't come out of a contract unless both parties agree” (full article on http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/porte-must-stay-with-saxo-bank-riis-declares ).
Poor uncle Bjarne. Two days ago I thought nothing else could go wrong for Saxo Bank and instead, here comes this new problem. And the trouble is that, even if Richie eventually stays with Bjarne, I don't think his manager will have a good relationship with Riis in the future...
Anyway, although this is a very bad period for Saxo Bank (luckily for Riis the end of the marketing season is getting closer everyday!), we can't say the same about Team Luxembourg (or how the hell it is called) and its riders. The team in fact is always very active on the market and the other day Bennati said he's going to ride for it next season. Also Jens Voigt has been linked to this team very often, although he said he can't confirm any rumour yet.
Apropos, I don't know what your opinion is, but all this secrecy about this nre team is really annoying me. I mean, we're talking about a cycling team, not about a new top secret way of avoiding terroristic attacks to important places in the World! Supporters want to know which athletes are going to ride for their new favourite team next year, they want to know what the name of said team will be, they want to know which the colours of the new team kit will be (well, at least some do)!! I understand that guys at Team Luxembourg want to create suspense, but aren't they exaggerating a bit? I mean, Leif Hoste signed for Katusha the other day and everyone already knows about it.They didn't create any mistery or so and nobody complained about it, right?
Also Taylor Phinney, after some very long reflections, decided to join BMC, but didn't behave in a mysterious way as almost everyone who's leaving Saxo Bank is doing. After he had taken his decision, Phinney simply told the press and the supporters about it. And no one complained for the lack of suspense, right?
Luckily for Fangirls, however, there are also guys (a few ones, to say the truth) who have already admitted they're joining Team Luxembourg next season. One of them is the lanky Brice Feillu, the other one is Daniele Bennati (http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bennati-to-luxembourg-team-for-two-years ). Logic doesn't like Bennati very much, especially because she had great hopes for him in the past but, unfortunately, those hopes have been disappointed over the last years. 3 years ago in fact it seemed that Daniele was going to become the new Petacchi, but nowadays instead he's a decent sprinter and nothing more. Hopefully he'll find new motivation at Team Luxembourg and will offer us good sprints like those he used to show us in the good old days.
On the other hand, however, Fangirl is completely happy to read that Bennati's joining SB. 'With him, the Schlecks and Brice Feillu, the team is already very good-looking! And the level of handsomeness of the team will become even higher when Fuglsang and Cancellara join it!!! Oh, I can't wait to see the new picture of the team's riders all together!!!', she's been screaming for the last twenty-four hours. 'Hopefully, this new team won't be just hot- it will also be strong. Because remember darling, that to win races you need fast legs and a clever head, not a good-looking face and a pair of blue eyes!', Logic replied her. Unfortunately, I'm not sure Fangirl has received the message yet...

8 commenti:

  1. Very funny post Fede!
    Don't you know Bjarne is called "Mangiafuoco" (the marionette theatre director in the adventures of Pinocchio, for those momentarily disconnected from their inner child :P) by Cicloweb? I find no nickname is more accurate ;-) It makes you think that everybody is leaving at the same time, once they had the opportunity. Or the Schleck brothers have such an enormous amiability, which I do not doubt, but come on this is business.
    About the secrecy, the less everybody knows, including rivals, the less they can harm :P
    Pity because I really want to know the colours on their jersey!!! :P I want to know if I have to squee or cringe :P

    Francesca

    RispondiElimina
  2. Thanks for leaving the schoolstuff! I like your posts. But now...
    Too much fangirl in my head! Is Richie trying to join the Lux-team as well? He's so cute! I was a little bit sad when I heared Niki Terpstra wasn't going to the Lux-team. He would make the team even better looking.
    I know handsomeness has nothing to do with cycling but... come on... as long as we're not saying someones is too ugly, there's no problem with screaming fangirliness.. Right?
    The presentation of the team was planned somewhere in Octobre, I heard.. Can't wait!

    RispondiElimina
  3. @ Francesca: glad you liked my post, Francesca :)
    Cicloweb always comes up with very interesting nicknames. I think that the Mangiafuoco one perfectly suits Bjarne and the situation he's living right now.
    The funny thing about SB's exodus, imo, is that almost everyone on the team has always said that they were happy there, that they were riding for the best team in the world, that everyone on the team wasn't just a colleague but a good friend...And now that they've got the chance, a lot of the guys who used to say these things are leaving. The possible conclusions (imo) are two: 1) Bjarne's boot camps built a very strong friendship between the riders,so strong that lots of guys decided to follow their best friends (the Schlecks) in their new team rather than keep on riding for Riis 2) a lot of the people who used to say these things weren't sincere. Or,perhaps, the true exaplanation is a mixture of both these reasons.

    I don't actually think the rivals could get advantages by knowing the names of Team Luxembourg's riders and so on. But still,if they've decided to keep all those info secret, there must be a reason (or,at least, I hope so).
    Let's also hope that the team jersey will be at least as good-looking as Saxo Bank's 2010 one,which I absolutely loved.I can't imagine how Fangirl could react if the new team kit looked like Footon Servetto's one!


    @ Mar: glad to know you enjoyed my post,too :)
    Niki Terpstra is indeed a very good-looking boy while, from the 'hotness' point of view,I don't like Porte a lot. Guys like Matti Breschel or,say,André Steensen are much more good-looking than him imo (perhaps I see things in this way because I have a weakness for blonde boys...).
    Logic actually disapproves it when I talk about the beauty of the riders rather than about their riding skills. But I'm a human being too and a pair of wonderful eyes and a nice face can definitely attract my attention a lot.But still,I try to consider riders just because of their skills and not because of their hotness (otherwise, I don't think I'd be a Chris Sorensen's supporter...).
    Btw I'm really looking forward to the team presentation too! :)

    RispondiElimina
  4. I wasn't thinking only about riders and team's names, but sponsors and financial backing. Anyway, if I'm not mistaken, Pegasus team has the same mysterious approach :P
    I was hoping for a grey or silver jersey, but the Footon Servetto one has its advandages: could they be any more "naked"? ;-) Anyway, I'm joking.
    Let's wait for team presentation then :-)

    Francesca

    RispondiElimina
  5. Yes, I know we should be talking about cyclingskills ;) So talking about that, I think their building a very good team. Talented mixed with experienced. A lot of age differences (Great old Jensi!) but I think they are about the same age in their head ;)

    (Is it just me or are there any others who are afraid of Nicki Sorensen's face? Oops, I said in my other comment I didn't want to say someone is too ugly. But that's not what I mean right now! He's a good rider..)

    RispondiElimina
  6. @ Francesca: You're right when you say that team Pegasus (and new cycling teams in general) always have a very mysterious approach to their first season, but still I find this very annoying. Or, at least, Fangirl does :)
    Footon's kit surely has that advantage that you mention. But still, I prefer more traditional jerseys: a silver,a blacka blue or a grey kit would be very nice,but I wouldn't complain if the jersey were similar to the red one of team Luxembourg either.

    @ Mar: the team already looks very strong indeed and,as you say, there is also a good mixture of more experienced athletes and younger guys.I can't wait to know all the names of the riders!!

    Talking about Nicki, I think he actually isn't one of the most good-looking guys of the peloton and you're not the only one who thinks he's a bit frightening.But at the same time I don't think pictures actually make him justice, since I had the chance of seeing him live on some occasions and,believe me, he looks much less frightening in reality.

    RispondiElimina
  7. According to wielerland.nl, 19 riders are more or less sure:

    BENNATI Daniele
    DIDIER Laurent
    FEILLU Brice
    FUGLSANG Jakob
    GERDEMANN Linus
    KLEMME Dominic
    LUND Anders
    MONFORT Maxime
    MORTENSEN Martin
    O'GRADY Stuart
    POSTHUMA Joost
    SCHLECK Andy
    SCHLECK Fränk
    STAMSNIJDER Tom
    VIGANÒ Davide
    VOIGT Jens
    WAGNER Robert
    WEGMANN Fabian
    WEYLANDT Wouter

    Of course there is a big chance Fabian Cancellara can also be added to this list. Brian Nygaard said he was aiming for a team of 25-26 riders.

    Also, Luca Guercilena, DS at Quick-Step, will move to Team Luxembourg.

    RispondiElimina
  8. Thank you very much for the precious list, Anonimo. There are some really good names in it (Gerdemann, Wegmann, Weylandt, Posthuma, Feillu, Bennati just to mention some who didn't race for SB this year) and so I think we can expect plenty of good results from this team next year. I'm really looking forward to it!!!

    RispondiElimina