On Saturday the first one day Classic of the year,la Milano-Sanremo,will be raced.The parcours is the one of the last 2 years (the one with Le Mànie climb) and,according to the last weather forecast,tomorrow it will probably rain in Milan.Of course me,with my egocentic mania,feels like trying to make some predictions about the race podium and in order to do so in this post you can find the favourites of mine and the start list of the race with relative comments.
First of all,I must say that I believe that the race will end in a bunch sprint.If this happens,my favourites for the victory will be Boonen,Freire and Petacchi (in this order).In fact they've showed good form in this part of the year,they are experienced riders and they've already got good results in La Classicissima (Petacchi and Freire have actually already won it in the past).
Although a part of me has been screaming :"Boasson Hagen will win!" since Monday,Logic thinks he can't beat the 3 guys I mentioned above in a bunch sprint.And then,considering that in the last Worlds he completely disappeared although he was one of the favourites,I think that Edvald might have problems with the length of the race and the media pressure on him (many people in fact have already chosen him as "personal favourite").
If the race ends up in a bunch sprint then I obviously hope in a surprise by Matti Breschel.In fact I think he may surprise lots of people tomorrow and get a good result (I'm sure he can make it at least to the Top 10).This because Matti has already shown he's a resistent and fast rider in the 2008 and 2009 Worlds,which were both hard and very long races (and the Sanremo is very long as well).
Of course also Hushvod can't be left out from the list of favourite riders,although not a lot is said about him in these days.
Talking about another sprinter,Tyler Farrar,I believe he's not ready to win a big one day Classic yet and that the Sanremo is probably too long for him.
Last year's winner Cavendish isn't in form in these days,or at least it seems so.In fact I don't trust him a lot because I remember that last year lots of people thought: "If he gets dropped on every climb at T-A,he can't surely win Sanremo" .And who won Sanremo in the end? Mark Cavendish from the Isle of Manx.Funny.
If the race ends up in a bunch sprint then I obviously hope in a surprise by Matti Breschel.In fact I think he may surprise lots of people tomorrow and get a good result (I'm sure he can make it at least to the Top 10).This because Matti has already shown he's a resistent and fast rider in the 2008 and 2009 Worlds,which were both hard and very long races (and the Sanremo is very long as well).
Of course also Hushvod can't be left out from the list of favourite riders,although not a lot is said about him in these days.
Talking about another sprinter,Tyler Farrar,I believe he's not ready to win a big one day Classic yet and that the Sanremo is probably too long for him.
Last year's winner Cavendish isn't in form in these days,or at least it seems so.In fact I don't trust him a lot because I remember that last year lots of people thought: "If he gets dropped on every climb at T-A,he can't surely win Sanremo" .And who won Sanremo in the end? Mark Cavendish from the Isle of Manx.Funny.
Of course these are the sprinters names.As far as the "attacking guys" are concerned,I think that guys like Pozzato,Cancellara or Gilbert will surely try to play their cards before of the final meters of the race.Also guys like Ginanni or Paolini may show something interesting during the race,just like Garzelli,Visconti and Cunego (although Lampre's captain will be Petacchi and not Cunego).
Unfortunately then there are some very good riders who won't take part in the race (I'm not talking about sir Lancelot).They are Haussler,Greipel and Sagan.Few days ago in fact one of my picks for the Sanremo podium would have surely been Heinrich Haussler.But since the Australian/German rider is injured,he won't take part in the race.What a sadness.
Talking about Greipel,I think he would have been a good alternative to Cavendish,but apparently something's wrong with him.
Talking about Sagan,I've been pretty disappointed by Liquigas' decision of leaving him out of the team line-up for the Sanremo.I know that Liquigas ' captain is Bennati,that Peter is young and that perhaps his ds doesn't want him to be too much under pressure,but I think that for Sagan racing the Sanremo would have been a chance of improving and becoming more experienced.And then I believe he could have done well in a breakaway and that he would have been able to work hard for Bennati in the main peloton.By the way I'm not Liquigas' ds,so here I stop complaining.
Talking about Greipel,I think he would have been a good alternative to Cavendish,but apparently something's wrong with him.
Talking about Sagan,I've been pretty disappointed by Liquigas' decision of leaving him out of the team line-up for the Sanremo.I know that Liquigas ' captain is Bennati,that Peter is young and that perhaps his ds doesn't want him to be too much under pressure,but I think that for Sagan racing the Sanremo would have been a chance of improving and becoming more experienced.And then I believe he could have done well in a breakaway and that he would have been able to work hard for Bennati in the main peloton.By the way I'm not Liquigas' ds,so here I stop complaining.
If you want to know more about the riders who are taking part in the race,here's the start list (source : http://www.milan/sanremo.co.uk/2010/2010-start-list.html ).
TEAM COLUMBIA:: Cavendish, Albasini, Eisel, Goss, Monfort, Rogers, Roulston, Peter Velits. I've already written what I think of Cavendish and of Greipel.As everyone knows,the Manx rider didn't show a great form in Tirreno-Adriatico (but he did the same also last year),has lost a month of training because of his teeth problems and fell during the last stage of T-A.In spite of all these things,I think he's a dangerous contender for the victory.The alternatives to him in the team are Eisel and Goss.If Cavendish gets dropped before of the finale,Michael Rogers (who is already in a very good form),Monfort or someone else might try to break away from the peloton.
ACQUA & SAPONE MOKAMBO: Garzelli, Paolini, Failli, Andriotto, Marzoli, Codol, Andrea Masciarelli, Palumbo. Paolini is a strong and pretty fast rider and I think that he and Garzelli can be considered good contenders for the final victory.
AG2R LA MONDIALE: Hinault, Bouet, Vladimir and Alexander Efimkin, Champion, Mandri, Kadri,Mondory.I believe that,between these riders,the only ones who can do something dangerous during the Sanremo are los Efimkins and Mondory.
TEAM COLUMBIA:: Cavendish, Albasini, Eisel, Goss, Monfort, Rogers, Roulston, Peter Velits. I've already written what I think of Cavendish and of Greipel.As everyone knows,the Manx rider didn't show a great form in Tirreno-Adriatico (but he did the same also last year),has lost a month of training because of his teeth problems and fell during the last stage of T-A.In spite of all these things,I think he's a dangerous contender for the victory.The alternatives to him in the team are Eisel and Goss.If Cavendish gets dropped before of the finale,Michael Rogers (who is already in a very good form),Monfort or someone else might try to break away from the peloton.
ACQUA & SAPONE MOKAMBO: Garzelli, Paolini, Failli, Andriotto, Marzoli, Codol, Andrea Masciarelli, Palumbo. Paolini is a strong and pretty fast rider and I think that he and Garzelli can be considered good contenders for the final victory.
AG2R LA MONDIALE: Hinault, Bouet, Vladimir and Alexander Efimkin, Champion, Mandri, Kadri,Mondory.I believe that,between these riders,the only ones who can do something dangerous during the Sanremo are los Efimkins and Mondory.
ANDRONI-DIQUIGIOVANNI: Scarponi, Bertagnolli, Ginanni, Loddo, Serpa, Bertolini, Piemontesi, Jackson Rodriguez.Imo this is a very good team,with lots of experienced riders (Scarponi,Bertolini,Bertagnolli) and some younger athletes like Ginanni.Scarponi may try to attack in the finale of the race,whereas the team sprinters should be Ginanni and/or Loddo.I'm particularly interested in watching what Ginanni will do,since I believe he's a really promising rider.
ASTANA: Davis, Gasparotto, Bazayev, Dmitriyev, Grivko, Maxim and Valentin Iglinskiy, Selvaggi.Davis is the team sprinter,but Maxim Iglinskiy and Gasparotto may try something in the finale of the race as well.In particular,me feels that Gasparotto is sooo going to attack on the Poggio.
BBOX BOUYGUES TELECOM: Arashiro, Bonnet, Chainel, Claude, Haddou, Pichot, Turgot, Voeckler.Me thinks that the most dangerous rider on this team is Voeckler.Anyway,where is Fedrigo?
BMC: Hincapie, Ballan, Burghardt, Kroon, Schaer, Wyss, Louder, Bookwalter. Until last year Kroon was a Saxo Bank rider and had to work for his captains in almost every race.Last year he could ride for himself (with good chances of winning) just during the Amstel Gold Race and that day he came 2nd.Of course me's looking forward to see how he'll ride tomorrow,whereas I think that it's still too early to see Hincapie and Ballan in action.Btw: why wasn't I aware of the fact that Wyss has gone to this team?
CAISSE D'EPARGNE: Bruseghin, Amador Bikkazakova ,Kiryenka, Lastras, Rojas Gil, Erviti, Uran, Zandrio.Kiryenka might attack,but the team captains should be Rojas Gil and/or Lastras.
CARMIOORO-NGC: Ventoso, Sella, Ratto, Berthou, Kocjan, Beuret, Piechele, Ferrara.If cycling was like Italian football,considering that I'm convincted that Sella should have been banned from Cycledom for at least 4 years,I would probably try to bring bad luck to him and to his team for the next 3 seasons (yes,I'm evil).Luckily for Carmiooro-Ngc,cycling isn't Italian football.
CERVELO: Hushvod, Hammond, Hunt, Florenzio, Klier, Lancaster, Rasch, Reimer.Attention to Thor.
COLNAGO-CSF: Gavazzi, Belletti, Canuti, Modolo, Marangoni, Frapporti, Pavarin, Contoli. Modolo and Gavazzi are promising riders,but imo they are still too young to be dangerous in a race like Sanremo.
EUSKALTEL EUSKADI: Urtasun Perez, Isasi Florez, Koldo Fernandez, Txurruka, Perez Moreno, Perez Lezaun, Oroz, Azanza.Not a very strong team,imo.
FRANCAISE DES JEUX: Bonnaire, Cherel, Guesdon, Geslin, Hutarovich, Offredo, Roux, Vaugrenard.
GARMIN-TRANSITIONS: Farrar, Julian Dean, Fischer, Hunter, Maaskant, Millar, Van Summeren, Wilson.Fischer,Dean and Farrar are good sprinters,whereas Maaskant and Van Summeren (if they are already in good form) could try to attack on the final climbs.
ISD-NERI: Visconti, Scognamiglio, Scarselli, Longo Borghini, Caccia, Clarke, Vona, Gatto.Gatto is the team's sprinter,but I believe that Visconti is the best one in this team.
LAMPRE-FARNESE VINI: Petacchi,Cunego, Da Dalto, Bernucci, Gavazzi, Hondo, Lorenzetto, Pietropolli.The team will probably try to bring Petacchi to the final sprint in the best possible way.If a dangerous beakaway gets clear from the peloton in the last kms,Cunego will probably be ready to join it.
LIQUIGAS-DOIMO: Bennati, Nibali, Kreuziger, Oss, Pellizotti, Quinziato, Sabatini, Willems. Where is Peter Sagan?!?
OMEGA-PHARMA LOTTO: Gilbert, Cretskens, Hoste, Delange, Lang, Loewik, Roelandts, Van Avermaet.Gilbert will try to attack on the Poggio,but I think that also Greg Van Avermaet can be dangerous.
QUICK STEP: Boonen, Chavanel, Barredo, Devenyns, De Weert, Reda, Tosatto, Velo.Velo and Tosatto know how it feels to be part of the Sanremo's winner's team.Of course they'll be ready to give everything to feel that joy again,this time for a Tornado Tom's victory.
RABOBANK: Freire,Boom,Flens, Langeveld, Nuyens, Stamsnijder, Tankink, Tjallingii.Oscarito doesn't seem to have a good lead-out train,but he knows how to win even without any help from his teammates.
SKY: Boasson Hagen, Barry, Flecha, Hayman, Lovkvist, Stannard, Sutton, Henderson.Everyone on this team will probably work for the blonde Edvald from Norway,but a fast guy like Henderson might enter a final breakaway (if he doesn't have to work in Boasson Hagen's train,of course).
KATUSHA: Pozzato, Bandiera, Ignatiev, Ivanov, Kirchen, Mazzanti, Trussov, Brutt. Pozzato is in good form,but don't worry:I'll avoid putting a pic of him on this blog even if he wins.
MILRAM: Gerdemann,Fothen,Frohlinger, Knees, Knaven,Sentjens,Terpstra,Wegmann.This team doesn't convinct me a lot.
RADIOSHACK: Impey, Beppu, Irizar, Lequatre, Murayev, Rast, Rosseler, Steegmans.There are some good sprinters in his team,butthe question is: are they good enough to win Sanremo?SAXO BANK: Cancellara, Andy Schleck, Cooke, Lund, Hoj, Larsson, Breschel,O'Grady.If the race ends in a bunch sprint,Breschel and Cooke will be ready.If a dangerous breakaway gets clear from the peloton in the last kms,O'Grady and Cancellara will be ready.And don't forget Andy Schleck.
ASTANA: Davis, Gasparotto, Bazayev, Dmitriyev, Grivko, Maxim and Valentin Iglinskiy, Selvaggi.Davis is the team sprinter,but Maxim Iglinskiy and Gasparotto may try something in the finale of the race as well.In particular,me feels that Gasparotto is sooo going to attack on the Poggio.
BBOX BOUYGUES TELECOM: Arashiro, Bonnet, Chainel, Claude, Haddou, Pichot, Turgot, Voeckler.Me thinks that the most dangerous rider on this team is Voeckler.Anyway,where is Fedrigo?
BMC: Hincapie, Ballan, Burghardt, Kroon, Schaer, Wyss, Louder, Bookwalter. Until last year Kroon was a Saxo Bank rider and had to work for his captains in almost every race.Last year he could ride for himself (with good chances of winning) just during the Amstel Gold Race and that day he came 2nd.Of course me's looking forward to see how he'll ride tomorrow,whereas I think that it's still too early to see Hincapie and Ballan in action.Btw: why wasn't I aware of the fact that Wyss has gone to this team?
CAISSE D'EPARGNE: Bruseghin, Amador Bikkazakova ,Kiryenka, Lastras, Rojas Gil, Erviti, Uran, Zandrio.Kiryenka might attack,but the team captains should be Rojas Gil and/or Lastras.
CARMIOORO-NGC: Ventoso, Sella, Ratto, Berthou, Kocjan, Beuret, Piechele, Ferrara.If cycling was like Italian football,considering that I'm convincted that Sella should have been banned from Cycledom for at least 4 years,I would probably try to bring bad luck to him and to his team for the next 3 seasons (yes,I'm evil).Luckily for Carmiooro-Ngc,cycling isn't Italian football.
CERVELO: Hushvod, Hammond, Hunt, Florenzio, Klier, Lancaster, Rasch, Reimer.Attention to Thor.
COLNAGO-CSF: Gavazzi, Belletti, Canuti, Modolo, Marangoni, Frapporti, Pavarin, Contoli. Modolo and Gavazzi are promising riders,but imo they are still too young to be dangerous in a race like Sanremo.
EUSKALTEL EUSKADI: Urtasun Perez, Isasi Florez, Koldo Fernandez, Txurruka, Perez Moreno, Perez Lezaun, Oroz, Azanza.Not a very strong team,imo.
FRANCAISE DES JEUX: Bonnaire, Cherel, Guesdon, Geslin, Hutarovich, Offredo, Roux, Vaugrenard.
GARMIN-TRANSITIONS: Farrar, Julian Dean, Fischer, Hunter, Maaskant, Millar, Van Summeren, Wilson.Fischer,Dean and Farrar are good sprinters,whereas Maaskant and Van Summeren (if they are already in good form) could try to attack on the final climbs.
ISD-NERI: Visconti, Scognamiglio, Scarselli, Longo Borghini, Caccia, Clarke, Vona, Gatto.Gatto is the team's sprinter,but I believe that Visconti is the best one in this team.
LAMPRE-FARNESE VINI: Petacchi,Cunego, Da Dalto, Bernucci, Gavazzi, Hondo, Lorenzetto, Pietropolli.The team will probably try to bring Petacchi to the final sprint in the best possible way.If a dangerous beakaway gets clear from the peloton in the last kms,Cunego will probably be ready to join it.
LIQUIGAS-DOIMO: Bennati, Nibali, Kreuziger, Oss, Pellizotti, Quinziato, Sabatini, Willems. Where is Peter Sagan?!?
OMEGA-PHARMA LOTTO: Gilbert, Cretskens, Hoste, Delange, Lang, Loewik, Roelandts, Van Avermaet.Gilbert will try to attack on the Poggio,but I think that also Greg Van Avermaet can be dangerous.
QUICK STEP: Boonen, Chavanel, Barredo, Devenyns, De Weert, Reda, Tosatto, Velo.Velo and Tosatto know how it feels to be part of the Sanremo's winner's team.Of course they'll be ready to give everything to feel that joy again,this time for a Tornado Tom's victory.
RABOBANK: Freire,Boom,Flens, Langeveld, Nuyens, Stamsnijder, Tankink, Tjallingii.Oscarito doesn't seem to have a good lead-out train,but he knows how to win even without any help from his teammates.
SKY: Boasson Hagen, Barry, Flecha, Hayman, Lovkvist, Stannard, Sutton, Henderson.Everyone on this team will probably work for the blonde Edvald from Norway,but a fast guy like Henderson might enter a final breakaway (if he doesn't have to work in Boasson Hagen's train,of course).
KATUSHA: Pozzato, Bandiera, Ignatiev, Ivanov, Kirchen, Mazzanti, Trussov, Brutt. Pozzato is in good form,but don't worry:I'll avoid putting a pic of him on this blog even if he wins.
MILRAM: Gerdemann,Fothen,Frohlinger, Knees, Knaven,Sentjens,Terpstra,Wegmann.This team doesn't convinct me a lot.
RADIOSHACK: Impey, Beppu, Irizar, Lequatre, Murayev, Rast, Rosseler, Steegmans.There are some good sprinters in his team,butthe question is: are they good enough to win Sanremo?SAXO BANK: Cancellara, Andy Schleck, Cooke, Lund, Hoj, Larsson, Breschel,O'Grady.If the race ends in a bunch sprint,Breschel and Cooke will be ready.If a dangerous breakaway gets clear from the peloton in the last kms,O'Grady and Cancellara will be ready.And don't forget Andy Schleck.

Nessun commento:
Posta un commento