Ja,der Jens ist immer der Best.Das ist sicher.Just take a look at the pic below: although he is almost 39 year-old,Jens still manages to rock races and get victories by riding past riders (like Rein Taramaae,for example) who are much younger than him.
Imo,this man should seriously be included in the list of "7 cyclistic wonders" because he's been one of the best riders out there for about 14 years now-and he still is.And as well as being a great rider,Jens is also a great person.I just tell you that,after a stressing stage like the Milano one at Giro 2009,he was the first one to arrive near to SB team bus and the last one to get on it.In fact,fans stopped him for autographs and pictures as soon as they say him arriving, and he kindly stopped to talk to everyone.Unfortunately,since I was in that state of mind known as "Fangirlistic trance",the only thing I could say to him in that moment was: "Jens,bitte...Ein Bild zusammen!",while showing him my little camera in order to give more power to my words.And although said words were pronounced with the worst German accent ever and with a terrible squeeky voice,Voigt didn't hesitate at all in front of my request and therefore I could have my pic with him taken.If I were him,I would have probaby ignored that fan who looked like a mole and got on the team bus without giving any signature-after all,I could have given the fans autographs and pictures after a good shower. And instead no,Jens made sure that everyone had his autograph aand/or picture before of getting on the bus and having a shower,because he's simply a great great great man.

DWARS DOOR VLAANDEREN:
Of course Jens' first place in today's stage is a nice sequel to Matti Breschel's victory in Dwars door Vlaanderen (Vlanderen or Vlaanderen? that is the question).
"To me,this victory is very important and for the team also",Matti said after the stage."We only have a few wins this season and the Classics have started.For me and for the team,we needed this for the morale.We knew that we had to stay in front there and we knew that it was me and Fabian-and then Fabian came to me and said he'd do this for me,just sit on my wheel.I didn't really attack,just went easy away,and I got the gap.I was dying at the end, had a little cramping, but I had Torsten [Schmidt, sports director] on the radio and he gave me the confidence to believe I could go all the way.I tried as hard as possible, and yeah - I won!"
As Breschel said,this victory was a nice morale boost to the team-especially if you consider that Danish ex rider Rolf Sorensen recently complained about the lack of SB victories so far in the year.Now,with 2 victories in 2 days,I think that even Rolf can be satisfied with the team's results.

SETTIMANA COPPI & BARTALI (PLUS MY OPINION ABOUT THE RICCO' SAGA):
In the last days Italian journalists are spending a lot of time reminding everyone that Riccò has come back in Cycledom.An interview with him yesterday,a page about him today...And the guy is still as arrogant as ever.Gosh. Considering all the interest that is given to the Cobra lately (and that I find completely undeserved),I had thought of avoiding watching Settimana Coppi & Bartali because I'm not able to read articles about Riccò and watch him racing on tv in just 3 hours after reading the newspaper.However,since I need to watch at least one cycling road race pro week to keep me going,today I gave up and therefore I was able to watch the race and to cheer for Przemyslaw Niemiec's victory.This Polish boy of 29 in fact is a really good cyclist and,although he's not very famous,he has already achieved many good results in his career.Second in the stage,and new leader of the GC,is Ivan Santaromita (whose surname was mispelled as "Santaromina" by the chronist).3rd was Riccò,who in the latest day is being seen like an hero by many Italian people."Go Riccò,you are the best,it's unfair that you can't race the Giro,Zomegnan is stupid,you're far better than everyone else,tifosi have to leave the past behind,we know you're clean,we trust you,we missed you,cycling missed you,etc.etc".Anyway,I'd like to give my little opinion about all this Italian euphoria:
1:ok,Zomegnan immediately welcomed Basso after his 2 yers ban,but Basso's case and Riccò's one imo were very different.In fact,Basso was never found positive at the anti-doping and was banned for more than 2 years.Riccò was caught positive at the Tour,denied having used doping,then changed his mind and apologised,then split up with his girlfriend because she resulted positive at the anti-doping as well,and he was banned from Cycledom for just 1 year and a half. Therefore,dear Cobra,don't go 'round the peloton crying "Zomegnan likes Basso and Sella more than me,booooh",because Zomegnan has a lot of reasons to like Basso more than you.And as far as Sella is concerned,his team hasn't been invited to the Giro yet.Therefore,shut up.
2: dear Riccò,please,don't pretend to be sad for your teammate's destiny by saying stupid things like "We should be invited at the Giro because we have guys like Noé who'd really deserve that". In fact,I believe that when you signed a contract with Flaminia you probably knew that you wouldn't have been invited to the Giro,so it's mainly your fault if Noé and the others won't be able to take part in the Corsa Rosa.Therefore,once again,I suggest you closing your mouth.
3: saying that a guy who was doped from his toes to his hair is the best rider ever is a bit an exaggeration imo,especially if you consider that in he peloton there are young guys who everyone ignores but that are much cleaner than Riccò. Unfortunately,some Italian tifosi think of Riccò as a hero (did they get brainwahsed,I wonder?).After reading this,I probably think you've understood why Italy has such a bad First Minister : as long as there are people who think that a doper is the best rider ever,no one should feel surprised about reading that a man with lots of problems with justice represents Italy in the World (oops,did I really type those things about our premier? If I did,ignore them...).
4: As a supporter,I don't leave the past behind.This worths for Riccò,for Sella,for Vinokourov,for Rasmussen and also for Basso.Everyone can get a second chance,but they have to deserve it.And if at the end it ends up with Riccò resulting positive again at the anti-doping,I'll be laughing as much as never before (you know how hysterical laughs sound,don't you?).

Yea, I understood all the Deutsch/German you used! As for Jens the 7th Wonder of Cycling, he must be the Cycling Wonder of the Universe who will inspire all the wins his team will be getting onto another Ardennes Classics win by one of the Schlecks...or both!? As for Ricco, he better hope Cavendish is not racing at any of the races he races. Mwhahahaha!?
RispondiEliminaI totally agree with you about Jens and I hope that he'll inspire not just the Schlecks during the Ardenne's classics,but also Fabian,Matti and Stuart during the other Classics and Chris Sorensen at the Giro.
RispondiEliminaAbout Riccò: It will surely be very funny to see what will happen the first time he meets Cav,but it will be even funnier to see him racing together with the Manx Mouth,Pinotti and McEwen.Who knows,perhaps Cav (with the help of Professor Pinotti) might have found a way to use braces as a weapon against cobras recently...
You're totally right about Riccò.The annoying thing about him is that,although he hasn't got any particularly great result in Settimana Coppi & Bartali so far,and although he should have been banned from Cycledom for at least 4 years,he's still so terribly arrogant.I think that after giving up CERA he should have tried some humility injections,although I don't know whether they would have worked on him.I know that everyone deserves a second chance,and that everyone can make a mistake,but to me it seems that Riccò hasn't learned the lesson yet.After hurting cycling so much,I think he should have returned in this sport in a much more modest way.Unfortunately,it seems that just few Italian people agree with me-all his tifosi are almost as arrogant and annoying as him.After all,"chi si somiglia si piglia"...
RispondiElimina