giovedì 16 luglio 2009

Nicki Sørensen!!!!!

After Fabian Cancellara's stage victory,today there was another big win for Saxo Bank team.
This morning I was thinking a bit about today's stage and I suddenly had a strange ide : "Today Sorensen goes in a breakaway",I thought.Actually I was thinking about the other Sorensen,not about Nicki,but when I turned the tv on this afternoon and I saw that there was a Sorensen in the breakaway,I smiled.
Nicki's breakaway companions (the Saxo Bank rider was actually the last one to join the breakaway) were Lefevre,Egoi Martinez,Pellizotti (whose main goal of this year Tour is the polka dots jersey),Pauriol,Calzati and Fothen.The 7 riders soon gained some minutes on the peloton and,with 30 kms to go,their advantadge was still of 3 minutes and some seconds.
With about 22 kms to go,Nicki attacked and was followed by the only Calzati.I don't know why,but Sorensen's attack reminded me of Voigt's winning move in last year Giro,during the stage of Varese (that was finally won by His Amazingness).
The 2 riders remained at the head of the race for a lot of time thanks to the few seconds of advantdge that they gained with Nicki's attack.
With about 5 kms to go,on a little climb,the gap consisted of just 9 seconds and Sorensen decided to attack.He managed to drop Calzati and keep an advantdge of about 30-40 seconds on the following riders,so that he could cross the finish-line alone (and with a very surprised look on his face).
"I would like to have been in yesterday's break and today I grabbed the opportunity by riding to the front group on my own.But I had the strength and believed I was able to complete the plan to win.I was obviously a little nervous because Pellizotti was very strong but I did the right thing by attacking first.Of course I was tired by the end but everything worked out perfectly for me today.Now,maybe my chances of getting a job next year will be increased”,said Nicki after his first victory at La Grande Boucle.The Dane rider also won "the most combactive rider of the day" award.
Second was Lefevre,while Pellizotti came in 3rd.As you can imagine,during the last kms of the stage the Italian chronists were supporting Pellizotti in a great way.That was funny because of course I was supporting Nicki,so there was like a little battle going on between the chronists and me.
With about 1 km to go,Evans and Leipheimer crashed but didn't suffer any consequence.They arrived at the finish-line after all the other GC contenders but their delay hasn't been considered in the GC because the crash happened during the last 3 kms of the stage.
Tomorrow's stage (during which the riders will be allowed to use their radios) is supposed to be a tough one.Of course me hopes it will end up with another Saxo Bank's victory.
(Photo AP)

4 commenti:

  1. And I thought Jens will be in break:) But I'm very glad for Nicki, he deserve it!
    Btw, I can't enter Saxo site... Dunno why, it just doesn't work...

    RispondiElimina
  2. Nicki really deserves it,last year he rode an amazing Tour and helped a lot the Schleck brothers.
    It's strange that you can't enter Saxo website,I'm not having problems with my computer.Perhaps it's just a temporary thing.

    RispondiElimina
  3. Tomorrow Jens may unbottle his Breakaway Special since they are getting closer to Germany and the team may also have the ambition of preserving its lead in the Best/Fastest Team award.

    RispondiElimina
  4. I think that today there are high chances to see a Saxo Banker in a breakaway.And of course,if that someone turn out to be His Amazingness,I'll be very happy and I'll support him just like I supported Nicki yesterday.

    RispondiElimina