And then:yes,I know,it's nearly Giro time and I'm pretty euphoric,even if the Schleck brothers are not racing.One of the riders who are taking part in this race is Vandevelde.If you're interested,there's an article about him on this link: http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2009/giro09/?id=/features/2009/american_giro_stage_winners_may09 ).Anyway,in this post I'd like to focus my attention on someone who will not race the Giro: Simeoni.
He's 37 year-old and he won the Italian championship last year.Even if he won that race,his team hasn't been invited to run the Giro.Why? Well,the official excuse is "His team (Ceramica Flaminia) is not enough strong to be invited at the Giro".In my opinion,also some teams of the last Giro weren't really strong,but they were invited to the race anyway.But maybe the thing that got more importance in this no-invitation is the fact that Simeoni "argued" with mr.Armstrong at the Tour 2004.Here's a short description of what happened:Simeoni was a doped rider and he once said some sentences against the doctor of the Texan rider,mr.Ferrari.Aafter having been disqualified by the UCI in 2002,Simeoni took part at Tour 2004 and there one day he decided to enter in a breakaway formed by other 6 riders.And do you know what happened? Armstrong followed him,so that the other teams of the main group started to pull hard in order to catch the riders who were on the breakaway. Of course the 6 riders and Simeoni weren't very happy,and they asked Armstrong to come back to the group.And d'you know what sir Lancelot said to those guys?: "I'll let this breakaway go just if Simeoni comes back in the peloton with me.Otherwise,I'll stay here and won't let you form a breakaway".Of course Simeoni had to let the other 6 riders go,got back in the peloton and decided to retire from the race.
Now,5 years after,Simeoni hasn't been invited to the Giro of sir Lancelot's comeback.Is it just a coincidence? Giro director,Zomegnan,said some words about Simeoni's exclusion from the race. "We (Giro organisation) gave to Simeoni two chances.In fact we invited him at the Tirreno-Adriatico and also at the Milan-Sanremo.At the Tirreno Simeoni got retired and didn't ride well.At Sanremo,he didn't find the time to meet Armstrong and to talk with him about what happened in 2004 even if they rode together for 7 hours.That's not the way people behave in a civil society". Are you kidding meeee???!? This sentence,in my opinion,means that if someone gets on well with Armstrong,they can ride;otherwise they can't.
Perhaps you won't understand a lot of what I wrote (when I get angry my English becomes particularly difficult to understand),but I think that Simeoni should ride.If you've got some opinions on this bad story,let me know.

i prefer simoni abovve amstrong.
RispondiEliminaand i think it's weird that they didn't invited his team. i've seen the startingslist and i can't imagine that his team is weaker than some teams who will ride this giro.
I like the car link ;-)
RispondiEliminaI prefer anyone above Armstrong. The tour just got much more interesting since he left. Anyway, if you look at it from the Simeoni vs. armstrong point of view, it is only fair to let Simeoni ride the Giro as well, but I have a thing against ex-dopers and I think his history is one of the reasons he didn't get invited, but on the other hand, Fuji-Servetto gets to ride while it has a much bigger doping history...
RispondiEliminaPerhaps also Simeoni's history has influenced Zomegnan's decision,but there are also other ex-doper whose teams have been invited (see David Millar and Garmin).I think they haven't invited Simeoni just because of Lance.And that's not fair at all,in my opinion.
RispondiElimina