sabato 16 maggio 2009

Bergamo's stage!!!!!!

I'm sorry but at the moment I’m still a bit too euphoric to talk decently about the 6th and 7th stage of Giro.In fact in all my life I’ve been happy to live in Bergamo just for 3 times and one of these 3 times was today.Anyway,let's talk about the other two times I've been happy to live here before.
The first time was in 2007,on the 26th (if my memory doesn’t fail me) of May.That day the Giro arrived in Bergamo.I wasn’t very expert in cycling at that time,but I had already started to follow a certain cyclist whose name was/is Andy Schleck.That day,2 years ago,he rode through my town,wearing his white jersey of best young rider and I managed to see him.I couldn’t believe it:he was there,at 10 meters of distance from me,riding his bike.In my town. Unbelievable.That year anyway I didn’t recognise just Andy:I also managed to see very well Savoldelli,Mazzoleni,Cunego,Bruseghin,Petacchi,Bettini and a Csc rider whose identity I haven’t found out yet (I believe it was Arvesen,anyway). The second time I was happy to live in Bergamo (or at least near to it) was in 2008.On a Friday of May that year I decided not to go to school,woke up at 6 am and went to the Monte Pora in order to see the Giro’s stage.At 8 o’clock I was already at my “battle place” on the climb. Fortunately there was a little bar near to the finish line,so I got there with my family at 11 o’clock (after having walked ‘round the finish line for some hours) and I stayed there until 5 pm.Ugh.Of course we ordered a lot of thing: ice creams,coffee,water,meat (at 3 pm...)...I remember that every time Savoldelli’s face appeared on television,the tifosi used to scream a lot.The Savoldelli’s fans also gave me 3 flags (yes,3) with their logo on.”Ehi,I’m a Schleck fan!! I don’t like Savoldelli that much!!” I wanted to say that,but I was very frightened by those men (believe me,an old angry Bergamask is something of very scaring) so I just took the flags and abandoned them somewhere here at home. Anyway,I remember that in that ocasion I saw a lot of riders: Kiryenka (who won),Siutsou,Riccò,Di Luca,Menchov,Contador,Sella, Pozzovivo, Baliani, Bruseghin, Bettini,Matthew Lloyd,Visconti,Iglinsky,Leipheimer,Blaudzun,Nicki Sorensen,Bello Benna,Gasparotto,Bruseghin...I actually managed to see the whole Csc Team while they were riding on the descent towards their bus,but I couldn’t say “which-is-who”,so I was pretty disappointed because I couldn’t recognize Chris Anker Sorensen and Jens Voigt (what a drama!).The third time I’ve been happy to live in Bergamo has been today.Oh yes.First of all,I didn’t go to school because it was impossible to come back home with the bus.At 1 pm I arrived in the city,ate something,caught a free Liquigas hat and waited for the riders until 14.50 in Borgo Santa Caterina.I saw very well the riders of the breakaway,Visconti in particular.Then the main group arrived and I saw Di Luca,Petacchi,ARMSTRONG and CANCELLARA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wrote sir Lancelot’s surname in capital words because I was one of the few people who managed to see it and that made me feel proud of my eyes's skills.He actually looks as old as he does in tv.Btw,his bike is nice.Oh,and Cancellara:he’s amazing.He was wearing his Holy Orange Oakleys,that’s why I managed to recognise him.I was sooo happy! And then,for the 3rd time in 3 yers,I saw Bettini.-In fact now he’s a chronist for the Italian tv and so he rides on a motorbike behind the riders.It was funny to see him on that motorbike.
Anyway as soon as the last riders have gone away I went to Città Alta (Upper City),on the Boccola climb.The plan was to get there,see how the situation was and go in a bar to see the race on tv.Unfortunately for who-had-made-the-plan,we immediately realised it wasn’t possible. There were just too many people on the climb and so we sat on a wall and stayed there from 3.30 to 5.30 pm.What happened then was just unbelievable.When Siutsou arrived,I believed it was Rogers (what a shame...) but then I read the number on his jersey and realised I was wrong.Then the other riders came.I recognised Di Luca,Basso,BOASSON HAGEN and LOVKVIST.I didn’t see Menchov at all,but I did see Thomas Lovkvist.He’s very good-looking also when he’s climbing,sweating and suffering.My sister was going to faint in that moment and was speechless.Emo Boy’s powers...Then I saw Visconti,Soler,Lars Bak,Cataldo and,among others,VOIGT and (again) CANCELLARA.I immediately recognised Voigt because of his nose and his glasses,so I even managed to scream “Go Voigt!!!” while he was riding in front of me.Then I saw,for the second time in one day,Fab Fab.I screamed “Go Cancellara!”,but he was probably too exhausted to show he had heard me.
The one who surprised me most was Cavendish.My sister and I were standing on a wall near to the climb,and as soon as she saw him,my sister screamed “Go Cavendish!”.I screamed that as well,he heard us and he watched us for a pretty long time. That was really funny.
Btw,compliments to Siutsou and good recover to Pedro Horrillo.He had a horrible crash,but fortunately he’s not in danger of life.Hope he’ll be able to recover soon. (Photos Bettini,Sirotti,Mendrisio 2009 and CorVos).

3 commenti:

  1. Alas, no Pozzatolocks? Lucky lucky you! Very lucky to see so many of the pretties I idolize so obviously I am so jealous.

    RispondiElimina
  2. OMG- he felt 80 meters in a ravine and he survived the crash :s
    You saw a lot of pretty cyclists lucky you, i'm just a little bit jealous ;)

    RispondiElimina
  3. I'm happy that Horrillo now feels better.

    I couldn't escape Pozzatolocks twice,in fact yesterday I went to see Milan's stage and I saw him a lot of time.My mum even tried to get his autograph...Pretty scaring I must say.

    Perhaps we could organise a Schleck/ Cancellara/ Lovkvist/etc. meeting at some important race (for example at the Tour),so we can all see the riders (and we can also see each other "live").

    RispondiElimina