Temporarily back from the land of the Hard Studying, miss Fede has finally found the time to leave her 'studi leggiadri' and her 'sudate carte' apart in order to update her blog.
'What? Update your blog? Are you crazy? You have an exam coming up, you should be studying like hell, girl!!'. That's what I hear you, dear readers, scream as you read the first lines of this post. But still, you shouldn't get so nervous about my exam. In fact, today I've done a really good job, since I woke up pretty early (well, early for my standards) and I've spent the last 12 hours of my life studying.
Although it actually took me a lifetime to review Leopardi and Manzoni (damned Promessi Sposi, how can those critics have so many things to say about it?), I'm pretty happy with what I've done so far. And what I've done so far is: the whole Romantic period in Italy, life/death/miracles of the depressing duo Leo & Manzo (those guys couldn't stand each other, isn't that hilarious?) and life/death (especially death) and miracles of Petronius, Seneca and Lucanus. Considering that I wrote a super-detailled scheme of every author I've mentioned above (scheme including all the possible matchings between the different subjects), I think I can be satisfied with what I've done so far.
Talking about the matchings between the different subject: I've recently discovered that I have an amazing ability to match Martin Heidegger to everyone/everything I've studied this year. Isn't that amazing?
Anyway. Let's finally talk cycling. Here you have a little dialogue between me and my sister, which took place at half past six as we watched the final sprint of today's stage of TdS.
Sister: 'The rider who won has lots of muscles'.
Me: 'Yes, I know'.
Sister: 'I don't like men with too many muscles'.
Me: 'Well, sprinters have muscles...'
Sister: 'Yeah, but I prefer climbers. Also Sagan has too many muscles for me. Uhm...Do you know one thing?'
Me: 'What?'
Sister: 'The rider who's won... I've seen his face before. He reminds me a lot of Thor Hushovd. They look a lot to each other, don't they?'
Me: 'Really?'
Sister: 'Yeah, he really looks like Hushovd imo'.
Me: 'Well, perhaps he looks like Hushovd because he actually is Thor Hushovd...'
From this special dialogue you can understand that, even after 8 hours of studying, my brain can still manage to work better than my sister's one. Amazing, isn't it?
Anyway. Tour de Suisse. Andy Schleck lost a big amount of time in the prologue, but he had problems with his bike, so he's justified for that (poor boy, he has a mechanical every time he hops on a bike!). Yesterday however Our Glorious Leader entered a breakaway and worked hard on the final climb, which was very steep (and long). He eventually got dropped, but he did a good training while pulling at the head of the race.
On to another LT rider, Jakob Fuglsang seems in a great shape right now. Yesterday in fact he was in the breakaway together with Andy and today he's showed us his pretty face at the front of the race once again. Not that I complain, of course.
Jens Voigt looked very good too this afternoon, as he attacked with 4 kms to go. Also O'Grady showed his form in the finale and this is simply great.
Talking about Frank Schleck, instead, he did a great job on the second day of race, but yesterday he didn't attack. Btw, I'm positively impressed by the fact that he hasn't crashed yet in the race.
On to the other riders who are taking part in Tour de Suisse, some of them are already in a super condition. Cunego simply flew over the mountains yesterday, whereas Soler is finally back in shape. Hopefully he won't crash in the next stages.
Young guns like Van Garderen and Mollema are doing well too, whereas Di Luca seems to have gone back to the good old times when he was known as 'the killer'.
De Greef yesterday impressed everyone with his riding style ('He looks like a camel', the Italian chronist kindly said), whereas Leipheimer is always a dangerous threat for the GC. Bakelandts keeps on attacking every day (I wonder, has anyone ever told him that he's not forced to enter a breakaway once every 24 hour?), whereas Sagan has been showing his amazing talent once again.
On to the fast wheels, Zdenek Stybar (if he can be considered a fast wheel...) had a good 8th placement this afternoon, whereas Cavendish got dropped on the last little climb. He doesn't look very thin or is it just my imagination?
Talking about another sprinter, Matti Breschel has finally made it back to the peloton. Welcome back, Matti! We missed you terribly in the last few months!
Talking about another race, you all probably know that a race called Dauphine Libére took place somewhere in France last week. It is always a very good race, always very exciting and full of surprises. This time Contador didn't take part in it, but the Spaniard is going to take part in the Tour anyway. Oh happiness.
The winner of the 2011 edition of Dauphine Libére was Wiggins who, imo, can make it to the Tour's Top 5. I like Bradley, since he's always very ironical and since he's never afraid to speak his mind.
Second in the race was Cadel Evans. Will he finally make it back to his usual GC levels this year?
Third was Vinokourov (*cheerful screams from the members of AAVL*), who would like to win the Tour next month. Imo he can't make it unless Contador, Andy Schleck and other 10 guys all crash out of the race, but I think Vino has great chances of winning at least a stage. Apropos, did you know that he won the Champs Elysées stage a few years ago?
On to another rider, Van Den Broeck showed he's in a great shape and that he can make it to the Tour Top 5. A great surprise in the French race has been Cristophe Kern, winner of a stage and 6th in the final GC. Europcar will have a strong team at the Grande Boucle, since Kern is a teammate of Voeckler.
Talking about other French teams, next month you'd better look out for Coppel and Moncoutie. Moreover, pay attention to AG2R. This team is really growing on me and it has some very interesting young riders. Poor Nicholas Roche, however, was forced to leave Dauphine after a bad crash. Cyclingnews said he might have broken his elbow, but that his Tour partecipation wasn't at risk. Let's hope so!
Another interesting French rider who showed himself to the world last week is Thibaut Pinot. This boy (born in 1990, just like Sagan) won't take part in the Tour, but showed great things in the French race.
Also Bruno Pires from Leopard Trek was very good in Dauphine Libére (19th in the GC), since he rode better than guys like Gesink and Basso. Right now everyone in Italy is very worried for Basso, but you mustn't forget that the poor boy had a bad crash on Etna at the end of May. Also Samu Sanchez and Brajkovic were a bit disappointing, whereas Rodriguez won two great stages.
Talking about Saxo Bank, Chris Anker Sorensen was 11th in the final GC and 2nd on a stage. I'm very proud of him and I'm actually a bit sorry because, now that Contador is taking part in the Tour, Chris will have to work as a helper. 'It's logical!', Logic says, but the heart of a Fangirl is often immune to tactics and team gerarchies.
So, this is all from miss Fede for the moment. Have a good evening, as I go back to my 'mad and desperate studies' (ok, I'm joking: it's bed time also for me). Good night!

Ha, ha, ha, your sister makes me laugh!
RispondiEliminaOh, Vino. Yes, I think I know everything there is to know about Vino since Rolf Sørensen has a HUGE crush on him. Seriously! He mentions him all the time. Always. "And we mustn't forget Vinokourov!" is his standard line before practically every finish.
And I just noticed how late you wrote this - don't forget to sleep! :P
I suppose Cav is a bit fat, or at least too fat to win a stage like yesterday. The completely flat stages in the Tour, he'll surely win.
I like Bradley too, and I agree with you, I think he can get another top 5 finish in the Tour.
Since LT is doing so great in Tour de Suisse and Saxo Bank is... not... the Danish commentators have plenty of time to talk about LT which makes me very happy :D It has surprised me a bit, actually, how bad Saxo is doing. Some of these guys should be fighting for a place in the Tour team, non?
Chris :D Nothing to say, just my happy face :P
My sister can be annoying, but sometimes she says very funny things:)
RispondiEliminaRolf Sorensen has a crush on Vino?!? Well, who doesn't? (just kidding ;)
I'm not sleeping much these days, 'just' 8 hours pro night! Which, considering that it's June, isn't very much for me... ;)
Anyway, luckily the studies are going well for the moment. I feel a bit like a GT cyclist right now, riding up a very tough climb with my own pace, trying not to panick and without paying attention to the (few) people who are climbing faster than me!
Unfortunately I don't think it's possible to create a completely flat parcours in Switzerland, so it's not that surprising that Cav got dropped the other day... But still, he looks slightly fatter than in the Giro. I wonder what Cipollini thinks of it (he criticised Mark sharply during the Giro, saying he should eat less ice-creams)!
I think the Saxo Bankers are a bit shocked by the fact that Alberto will take part in the Tour ;) Sorensen is doing great, but the other guys aren't riding that well. Marycz has tried to attack the other day, but I don't think he'll be selected for the Grande Boucle (unfortunately he's too young and unexperienced). Really, I don't have a clue of how SB team for the Tour could look like. It will surely be formed by los Sorensens, Conti and Larsson, but I really don't know who the other guys on the team could be!
Talking about Tour de Suisse, I'm super-happy for Kruijswijk, what a great first win! But still, at the same time I'm very worried about Soler: he had a very bad crash, hope he'll recover completely from it!
Ok, enough for now: I had a 20 minutes break, now it's time to go back studying. Daaaante, I'm arriving!!!
If I was a Cavendish fan, I would buy him one of those sorbet / ice cream makers:
RispondiEliminahttp://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006ONQOC/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=1278548962&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00000JGRT&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0AHNGKYC096D9WVH5F40
But as I primarily enjoy Mark's writing, I will just aim to eat a scoop of Berthillon ice cream in his presence, and cruelly not offer him any, as he huffs and puffs up the Alpe-d’Huez :P Not really.
*waves a banana flag* Go Fede! Are you studying the Divina Commedia, or Vita Nuova? My copies of Inferno, Purgatorio, and Paradiso have the English translation printed alongside the original Italian--it's sort of fun to pretend to read Italian :P "intrai per lo cammino alto e silvestro" sounds less menacing than, "I entered on the steep and savage path"
Steven Kruijswijk: YAY!! But yes, Soler.. another incident in cycling, so sad. I hope he fully recovers..
RispondiEliminaGreat post btw, your sister is funny! Your exams are quite 'late', because here in the Netherlands students got their results back these last days and when they passed their exams they hang the national flag outside with their bag hanging on it ;) So lots of flags and bags here in the Netherlands right now.. Do you also have such a tradition?
Yesterday Tien and I went to the Ster ZLM Toer, it was fun even though it rained like crazy at the start haha - we sheltered from the rain under a building, the riders had the same idea and so we were standing there all together; fans, riders and journalists! Luckily it was sunny at the finish and we got to see Tyler Farrar win! We'll post the photos today or tomorrow :-)
Some extra motivation for you during your busy study schedule - we found some photos of Denis Menchov on our computer which totally proves that he can laugh and does have humour! Here they are:
http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/3374/raboploegloltour2009mon.jpg
http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/9092/raboploegmenchovlacht.jpg
Yes, the Sørensens, Bertie and Larsson would be my guesses too. Rolf Sørensen is going on about the Spaniards who followed Bertie from Astana (probably because he can't go on about Vino in tds :P). Bertie probably wants them in his Tour team but Rolf says (and I agree) that they still have to earn their place. I don't know what's going on with them. And to be honest I don't care all that much - except about Chris, of course!
RispondiEliminaTalking about Chris, he's fast becoming the number one cyclist in my family! Dad has started giving him nicknames which is a sure sign that he's beginning to like him :P
Soler's crash was really, really horrible. It sounds like he's very, very, very slowly improving. I guess that's better than nothing. Hopefully he'll recover!
And good stage in tds today for Andy - which I saw nothing of. But still happy, happy ^^
I read your post and I dreamt I was sitting for my Maturità, again! After the initial shock (oh no, not again!) I was comforted there wasn't any math paper and just the english one. As for french and german I would have despaired later :P
RispondiEliminaHow's going?
Francesca
@ Figbash: A sorbet/ice cream maker, I'd love to have one!! :O
RispondiEliminaActually, I like Mark also because he has problems with his weight. In fact I'm not that thin either , so it's great to see a top athlete like him having the same problems as me ;) In his book Cav actually says that, more or less, the process that makes him get fat is the following:
1. in the winter he gets fatter because he doesn't train
2. when the season starts he's fat and doesn't win.
3. he gets depressed because of the lack of victories.
4. he finds shelter from sadness in junk food.
5. he gets fatter and slower.
6. he wins even less races.
7. he gets even more depressed.
8. he eats even more junk food.
Poor thing!
Btw, if you like Cav's way of writing, you should read his book 'Boy Racer'. I bought it in London a few years ago and I really loved it (ok, I admit that I'd love every book that has something to do with men riding on bikes - Riis' biography included :P).
This year I had to study the Divine Comedy(canto I, II, XV, XVI, XVII and XXXIII of the Paradise). Last year I studied il Purgatorio, whereas two years ago I could enjoy l'Inferno and la Vita Nova.
It must be funny for you to study the DC in English! Here in Italy, Dante has been the greatest nightmare of the last 150 generations of students :P Almost every Italian knows the incipit of the DC by heart and everyone has made fun of Dante at least once in their life. The poor thing, in fact, had a lot of little problems: his nose was very big, his love life was a mess (he was in love with the late Beatrice, but at the same time he was married to another woman from which he even had some kids), he faints in every canto of l'Inferno (poor Virgilius, God should promote him to Paradise just because he could bear Dante both in Hell and in Purgatory!) and, moreover, he spent a meaningful part of his life looking for the rhymes with which he could have completed his poem.
As you can see, the man is a perfect subject of jokes for students who have to study everything he wrote :P
@ Marleen: Soler is still in an induced coma, but luckily his edema looks less worrying right now. The last few months have been terrible for cyclist and cycling lovers, let's hope we won't see any horrible crash for a while now! :(
The bag-flag tradition looks great! Here in Italy unfortunately we don't have a tradition like that. My sister actually threw her bag out of the window when she ended primary school, but people don't usually do this kind of things :P
My friends have been talking about burning all our schoool-books in a field, but I don't think they're really going to do it :P
Oh, Menchov laughing!!! Thank you very much, girls! <3
Denis does have a sense of humour, during the Giro 2009 he smiled very often! I remember watching a pic of him riding in a gondola and smiling, and that's when I first thought that he was going to win that Giro!
Italian tv interviewed him daily during those 3 weeks and he looked really cool, relaxed and funny. And when a journalist asked him whether he was going to follow Di Luca even at the seaside (Menchov was Danilo's shadow during that Giro and people didn't like this thing), Denis LAUGHED!! Really, it was strange to see him laughing on tv. He comes across like a very serious man, but I think he can even be entertaining sometimes :)
@ Susanne: Bertie brought those Spanish riders to Saxo Bank in order to race with them in the Tour, so I think Bjarne will surely insert them in the team line-up for the Grande Boucle. But still, I don't think this is fair towards the other riders on the team. Personally, I'd love to see Marycz in the Tour, he's doing some very good things in Switzerland!!
RispondiEliminaAs I once wrote after the Giro 2010, 'spreading the Chris Anker love all around the family is not just nice, it's also easy'! In fact, Chris is funny and strong at the same time, so it's hard not to love him! I'm very glad to know that your father likes him! :D Mine started to love Chris before the Zoncolan stage of Giro 2010, as he rode to the start of the stage with an Inter scarf in his hands (yes, dad supports Inter ;)
I couldn't see that stage of TdS either, but I watched the last 10 kms of it in the evening. Andy clearly did his best, but he made a mistake by ignoring De Gendt.
Talking about Thomas, I think we should keep an eye on him: he's a good climber, is a decent time trialist and he's very young. I bet he'll soon become a great Classic rider!
@ Francesca: No, not another Maturità!!! D:
My preparation is going quite well, although in the last days I had to abandon my 'studio matto e disperatissimo' because I didn't feel fine :P
Right now I have reviewed just the Italian and the Latin programme. But still, I have to review German, English, Spanish, Philosophy, History and Maths. Nice, isn't it?
Actually, it won't take me much to review the programmes connected to the three languages, but I'm very worried about Maths and Philosophy. I'm not that good in Maths and my teacher didn't come to school in the last 3 weeks, so I've already forgotten what a 'derivata' is. Luckily there is still a week before the 'terza prova'!
Btw, is it normal to keep on checking the 'date' of the Maturità proves? The thought of missing the prima prova really scares me D:
Moreover, I can't stop singing Waka Waka (the part that goes: 'The pressure's on, you feel it/ you've got it all, believe it') and Notte Prima degli Esami (the 'notte di lacrime e preghiere/ la matematica non sarà mai il mio mestiere' part). Shall I get worried?
A Maturità cannot be a Maturità without NPdE! I listened to it religiously the night before (you couldn't possibly guess :P).
RispondiEliminaFrancesca
I'm going to listen to it tomorrow evening, let's hope it will bring me good luck!
RispondiEliminaAnyway, talking about Maturità: have you already seen this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E9f3CEo9QY&feature=aso ? If not, I suggest you watching it! It's so hilarious!!!