sabato 21 maggio 2011

Antòn wins the most exciting Giro stage so far:

Motorbikes' engines exploding, mechanics shouting at each other, supporters booing at the Maglia Rosa, Riis driving past the jury car, the journalists angry at UCI. And then the race itself: Antòn getting the victory, Contador looking almost human, Kreuziger disappearing in the haze (and frost) of Zoncolan, Nibali, Menchov and Scarponi showing that they're still alive. Desperate, but not hopeless. This, and much more, was today's drama on the road to Zoncolan.

Today's stage was the most exciting stage of this year Giro d'Italia so far, no doubts about that. In it there was everything a supporter could desire: anger, drama, excitement, fear, anger, relief - and, most important, every rider (even Contador) this afternoon looked human.
However, let's start from the beginning of this stage. Or, better, let's start from what happened about 24 hours ago.
As you all know, the Crostis was taken out of the parcours of today's stage after that many ds complained about it with the UCI. Last week these brave men didn't tell the Giro organisers that they didn't want to face the Crostis, although they knew that just 5 teams were in favour of riding up that climb (and down that descent). In fact, they preferred to say that everything was ok in the official team meeting with Mauro Vegni. But then, without telling the other ds (Lampre and Geox's ds didn't know anything about it) and without telling the race organisers, these amazing people phoned UCI. Apparently, Patrick Lefevre phoned the Belgian UCI jury president at the Giro although he wasn't in Italy with his riders.
Since those guys couldn't say that Crostis had a dangerous road (Zomegnan made great efforts to make it become safer; actually, his efforts were so big that, when Lampre's ds went there by car on the rest day to check the descent, he said that it was 'one of the safest roads I've seen in the last years'), they decided to play the only card remaining: the sportive aspect of the race. In fact, they claimed that the stage wouldn't have been acceptable from the agonistic point of view because on the Crostis the team cars wouldn't have been able to follow the riders. Unfortunately for cycling, their claim was successful.
Actually, the ds had another meeting with Vegni (one of the Giro organisers) two days ago and during it they talked about the Crostis. Apparently, Riis got so angry at Vegni that, at a certain point, he even stood up and went in front of him, shouting. Then he met other ds in a bar and we all know what happened next. Actually it seems that, if the Giro organisers wouldn't have accepted the ds' will, some teams would have gone on a strike at the bottom of Crostis. If I had been Zomegnan, I would have told them that they were free to do what they wanted: those who wanted to go on, would have ridden up and down the Crostis. The other ones would have simply got off their bikes and would have been forced to leave the race. Simple as that.

The supporters were obviously very angry at what happened, especially because this decision was a very political one. In fact, it seems that UCI wanted to favour the 'bad' ds because, apparently, they are the same people who in the future would like to go against the UCI system. Because of this political reason, all the people who were waiting to get on Crostis this morning, those who worked (free) in order to make the descent become safe, those who worked (free) in order to asphalt the roads, those who had prepared all the cartels and pink balloons/bikes on the climb, well, all those people couldn't watch the race passing in front of them.
People obviously got really mad when they heard about UCI's decision. And since Riis was heavily involved in it, many supporters booed at Contador during today's stage. Nibali tried to defend his colleague by saying that: 'The poor thing hasn't got anything to do with UCI's decision', but there was no way to convince the tifosi.
In particular, Contador was booed when he collected his pink jersey at the end of the stage. In this way he became the only rider in history who, in less than 12 months time, managed to be booed both by the Giro tifosi and by the Tour supporters while receiving the leader jersey on the podium. Impressive record, really.
Personally, I would have booed at Contador just this morning, when he told Gazzetta: 'I'm very happy that the Crostis has been cut from today's stage. No one wants to lose the Giro because of a mechanical'. Really, this sentence made me wonder (for the third time in less than one year) whether Contador thinks we're all stupid. How can you say a thing like that when you won last year Tour (also) because your main rival's chain popped and you pretended you hadn't realised it? Did Andy Schleck really want to waste the Tour because of a mechanical? What's the difference between him and the other riders? Or does this rule apply just to the Giro?
Talking about the stage and angry supporters, yesterday evening the Giro organisers found another climb that the riders could have faced instead of the Zoncolan. Too bad that the road towards it was blocked by the supporters as a sign of protest so that, with 46 kms to go, the stage was shortened of other 20 kms.
Gadret at that point almost took a wrong road, causing Savoldelli (RAI's chronist) to say with a desperate voice: 'I really cannot understand what's going on, some riders have taken a road, the whole peloton has taken another one and I can't understand anything!' Poor, poor thing.

At that point of the race, Tankink, Brambilla and Rabottini were in a breakaway and they started the Zoncolan with 6 minutes of advantage on the following riders. They were welcomed in Ovaro by the following sentence, coming from the Divine Comedy (Canto II, if I'm not making a big mistake): 'Lasciate ogni speranza o voi che entrate' ('Abandon every hope you who arrive'). Encouraging, isn't it?
In the meanwhile, the peloton split in two parts and the only car who managed to follow the first group of riders was SB's one, who broke a rule by riding past the jury vehicle. According to UCI rules, the stage sould be neutralised because of that. What if someone would have had a mechanical there? As wise Conti says, 'no one wants to lose a Giro because of a mechanical', right?
At the bottom of Zoncolan then there were scenes of mass hysteria amongst the mechanics, who had to leave their team cars in order to get on some motorbikes (UCI, where are you? The team cars didn't follow the riders up the Zoncolan! This means that the stage isn't legal! Neutralise it, now!!). Too bad that the vehicles often risked to crash against one another and that the mechanics soon started to argue. And too bad that also Riis got on a motorbike, although he isn't a mechanic. How did that happen?
In the meanwhile, Rai's motorbike blew up, causing much entertainment to Davide Cassani ('It's Andrea De Luca's motorbike!!', he said, probably while producing a great grin).

With about 7 kms to go, Joaquim Rodriguez attacked. His attack was followed by Anton's one. Then Contador attacked too and in that moment I understood he wasn't feeling that well - or, perhaps, he wasn't going full gas. In fact he didn't drop everyone else, but Nibali slowly managed to get back on his wheel with about 4 kms to go. Also Scarponi, in spite of a chain pop (UCI, stop the other riders, now!), got back on Conti, whereas Menchov was keeping them under control.
With 2 kms to go, Contador attacked again. Scarponi got dropped, whereas Nibali could hold on. In the meanwhile, Igor Anton was riding towards victory and Kreuziger was drowning in the deepest abysses of the peloton. Then Contador attacked again, but Nibali went back to him again. At that point, he dropped him again.
In the meanwhile, Anton took his victory. Yesterday Euskaltel had worked hard for Contador and, according to some, in this way Alberto paid them back the favour. Antòn was really happy for his victory and my mum was just as happyas him. Yesterday in fact she had burst in my room screaming: 'Who's Igor? Where does he come from? HE'S A CUTIEEEEE!' (yes, Fangirlism is a genetic disease).

After the stage, as already said, Contador was booed, whereas Nibali attacked the Spaniard using words as weapons. 'He was disrespectful. I asked him to give me a turn at the front while we were riding, but he said no. Then he dropped me in the last km'. Given that on a steep climb like Zoncolan it doesn't matter who's leading on a climb and who isn't, I think that Nibali especially got angry by the fact that Contador eventually dropped him, thus gaining other 7" on him. It takes good legs to be an excellent rider, but it takes also something else to be a true champion...

Scrolling down the stage classification, we can see Menchov getting an amazing 5th (he said he had suffered from allergy on Etna, poor thing!), Nieve and Dupont getting 6th and 7th, Sivtsov (who'd like to win a stage for his wife) got 9th, Kruijswijk 12th, Niemiec 13th (love this man!). Stetina was a very good 15th, whereas Wyss was a great 22nd. Visconti was 29th (better than Pinotti and Lovkvist, wow!), whereas Kreuziger was 16th. Le Mevel (who in the morning had sung 'Le Marseillaise' for Italian tv) was 19th.
So, this was the Zoncolan stage. A Spaniard triumphed, another Spaniard was booed, the supporters were angry and I was happy for the final outcome for the stage. The Giro's GC riders may look desperate after every attack by Contador, but they won't be hopeless until they reach Milan.

14 commenti:

  1. Thanks for this summary Fede! I didn't get to see the whole race coverage so I was wondering what was going on. I have to say that whilst Contador isn't really one of my fave riders, I do feel sorry for him when I hear about the booing - I understand why ppl do it (& I prob would have done it after chaingate) but it must still hurt, no matter how thick skinned you are. A

    RispondiElimina
  2. I loved yesterday's stage :D I know I'm supposed to feel sorry for the riders with all that confusion in the end but it made great television :P

    I really like Anton (ha, ha, your mum xD) so I'm happy for him. And I'm glad Bertie was shaken a little even if it didn't make that much of a difference in the GC. Nibali impressed me too but the gap up to Bertie is already so big...

    Oh, about your mum and the fangirlism, I just realised the other day that my mum thinks Chris is sweet xD (And she doesn't even like cycling.)

    It is disrespectful to boo but I understand why people did it. And like you, A, I wanted to boo at him after chaingate. In fact, I laughed very unkindly at him that day :P (My brother said with a grin: 'They could at least make the podium girls clap' xD)

    RispondiElimina
  3. Thank you for the post Fede :-) To me the stage looked like a mess. And to cut more of the stage while riding? I actually got distracted from the Contador-Nibali ascending when I saw people on the motorbikes shouting at each other.
    I felt sorry for Contador to be booed, now I don't; nobody wants to lose for a mechanical, but somebody wants to win. He and Bjarne are a match made in heaven. I'm a bit miffed.

    Francesca

    RispondiElimina
  4. No one wants to lose the Giro because of a mechanical?

    I think there’s something worse than losing because of a mechanical; losing a Grand Tour because your opponent took advantage of your misfortune, like an unprincipled opportunist, and attacked while you were having a mechanical.

    *feels a need to use profanity, but remembers that it’s Sunday, and she’s going to church in an hour, and doesn’t want to confess to a priest that she wished that the bulls of Pamplona would stampede towards Contador as he ascends the Dolomites, so that he’ll be forced to turn around, and pedal in the opposite direction, back to Austria*

    I don’t pretend to fully appreciate, or understand cycling etiquette, but I remember Ryder Hesjedal being a bit unhappy with Joaquim Rodriguez after the Col du Tourmalet stage in last year’s Tour. Apparently, Rodriguez had ridden on Ryder’s wheel that whole afternoon, and Ryder had asked him to take the lead for a while, which Rodriguez refused to do, only to attack at the last minute, with about 500m to go to the finish. Really, it’s like benefitting from somebody else’s hard work. Though the circumstances are different, and between two general classification contenders, how the scenario unfolded on the Zoncolan yesterday, reminded me of this, with Contador refusing to take the lead, then attacking in the last km or so. Even though he was dropped a second time, I’m glad Nibali caught up, as it minimised the amount of time Contador gained on him for the GC.

    I realise it’s a race, and as competitors they need to have a killer instinct, but if you’re going to ride to win at any cost, you better be prepared to get booed, and jeered at, a lot. Really, what offended me about the Port de Bales incident isn’t that Contador attacked--again I accept that it is a race, and not a charity match—but that he denied that he was taking advantage of his opponent’s misfortune. If you’re about to do something that might not be honourable, either don’t do it, or commit to it fully. Shakepseare wrote: “Though I cannot be said to be a flattering honest man, it must not be denied but I am plain-dealing villain.” So either do the right thing at the time, or commit to doing the wrong thing, and don’t offer up an empty apology later on.

    Fede, you are right about fangirlism being a genetic disease. I just learned that my mum used to watch the Tour of Luzon (a continental race that takes in the Philippines) when she was in high school, so it was only a matter of time before I succumbed to the same hereditary defect :P I remember seeing Anton crash out of the Vuelta, so I’m gad to see him back in form. What is it with mums and Igor Anton? My mum saw him on the podium after one of the stages at last year’s Vuelta, and said the exact same thing as your mum!

    Oh, and for anyone who watches tennis, Roland Garros coverage starts today. So if you need something to take your mind off the stress of the Giro, you can watch the calm, soothing clay of Paris. Unless, like me, you were watching cycling to get away from the stress of watching Roger Federer play tennis, so now you have TWO sources of stress :P

    Oh, and a random, practical question about watching the Champ Elysees stage of the Tour, to anyone who’s ever attended in person. How early do people usually start lining up along the route, to secure a viewing spot? I read on the trip advisor forum that you should show up quite early in the morning, and make friends with the Belgian fans. Ha ha! Why Belgians I wonder? It just seems very specific :D

    RispondiElimina
  5. Fede, when you have the time, please check your spam filter. Sigh.

    RispondiElimina
  6. @ A: I think I wouldn't have booed at Contador yesterday. After all, he's just a young boy who climbs better than everyone else. On the other hand, I would have been happy to boo at Riis, at the other ds and at the UCI :P Supporters are the element that allows cycling to exist, but UCI seems to care more about itself than about the future of this sport.

    @ Susanne: I loved yesterday's stage too :) At first I didn't feel like watching it because I was too angry for what had happened with the Crostis. But then, when the riders hit Zoncolan, I really had a lot of fun.

    Bertie didn't look that great yesterday. Nibali and Scarponi have understood that, when they climb following their own rythm, they have more chance of limiting the gap from Contador. Moreover, Menchov is rapidly improving (he had problems with allergy on Etna) and even today there may be some chances to do something against Alberto.

    Tell your mother that she has a very good taste ;)

    After chaingate I was very shocked, but I wouldn't have booed at Conti. Actually, I would have booed at him after he said that he hadn't realised that Any had stopped because of a mechanical. I took that declaration as an authentic offence to my intelligence :P

    @ Francesca: The supporters had blocked the road that led up to the penultimate climb that the riders had to face, that's why Zomegnan was forced to change the route with just 46 km to go. Personally, I wouldn't have cut the stage again, because imo the ds and UCI should have taken their own responsibilities for what they had decided in front of the supporters. But still, I have to admit that riding in front of an angry crowd of tifosi might have been dangerous for the riders :P

    I did see the guys on the motorbikes arguing, but I couldn't understand who they were and what they were saying. Deep in my heart I wish they were Bjarne (who managed to get on a motorbike although he isn't a mechanic) and a Liquigas guy and I hope the Liquigas guy won the argument in the end!

    I have the feeling that Bjarne would have never done a thing like that if the Schleck brothers had still raced with him. I mean, last year he didn't call UCI to cut the cobblestones stage from the Tour :P

    Talking about Contador, I really cannot understand whether he says those things without realising that they're stupid, or whether he does believe that the supporter don't have a brain

    RispondiElimina
  7. Crazy, crazy stage. I'll remember that one for a long time.

    Regarding the Nibali incident: At the tour last year, Andy and Alberto were criticized for being 'too friendly' on some of the stages and not attacking each other. Now Contador is being criticized for not being a 'gentleman' by Nibali. He can't win no matter what he does. I guess that's the price you pay for being such a dominant rider. You're every move is scrutinized. (If I were Contador, I would have done the same thing; stay behind Nibali and watch him like a hawk to make sure he doesn't accelerate away from me).

    I think that, like Cavendish, Contador sometimes says what he thinks without thinking about the public relations consequences. I don't think he is intentionally insulting the intelligence of the fans. I also am not saying he is stupid, just a tad naive or innocent perhaps.

    Brenda

    RispondiElimina
  8. @ Figbash: Figgy, I really do apologise to you. My spam filter doesn't cancel true spams (as you all can see), but it does delete your comments :(
    Btw don't worry: I check the damn thing daily.

    I think there's something even worse than losing a GT because your opponent took advantage of your misfortune. For example, losing a GT because your opponent took advantage of your misfortune AND being forced to watch a YouTube vid in which your rival (who doesn't have the guts to talk to you directly, but decides to send you a vid on YouTube in order to look like the nice guy who's sorry for what he's done) claims that he's saddened by what happened in the afternoon and says that he didn't know that you had had that mechanical. That was the most stupid excuse I've ever heard - even worse than the cow excuse.

    I think that from the psychological point of view it is very hard to ride full gas on a climb, with your main rival glued to your wheel, unwilling to take a single turn at the front. If then this rival even drops you in the last km of race, well, I think that then he shouldn't complain if you call him 'disrespectful'.
    Yesterday Contador always stayed behind Nibali because he took advantage of the fact that the one who has to gain seconds in the GC is the Italian, and not him. But still, I think that in this way he can just lose all the respect that most of the supporters have for him.

    I'm really happy for Anton too. But still, the fact that now Contador may have another ally doesn't make me that happy :P

    Unfortunately I don't follow tennis, as I'm already busy enough with cycling ;)

    I'm afraid you must go to the Champs Elysées pretty early in the morning if you want to see something from the final stage. I think you should be there already at 9/10 am, if you really want to find a perfect place behind the barriers :P
    From my personal experience, I can tell you that the Belgian are the most organised supporters: they usuall have mega screens and they cook and drink beer all day long. So, if you ask them for something to eat, I'm sure they'll help you ;)
    If you're going to watch the final stage of the Tour, I also suggest you taking a lot of water bottles, a little chair and a hat with you :P

    RispondiElimina
  9. @ Brenda: I agree that Contador was right in following Nibali (it was the perfect thing to do in hat situation), but an Italian journalist had the feeling that, in the end, the Spaniard dropped Vincenzo, waited intentionally for him to get back, and then dropped him again just to show his superiority.
    When that journalist (who is also a former rider) asked Nibali how he felt in that moment, Vincenzo answered by saying that Contador was disrespectful to him because he had never helped him on the climb. But still, the journalist wasn't referring to Contador's strategy on the climb, but to the last km of race.
    Btw, the thing that surprised me the most is that Nibali seems a very quiet guy, so it's strange that he said something like that about Contador.

    In my opinion, Contador sometimes seems a bit sneaky :P When I watch him releasing interviews or wearing the pink jersey on the podium, I can't manage not to like him, but on other occasions I really can't stand him.

    Last year the one who was criticised the most for the 'fair play' thing (at least here in Italy) was Andy, because he was the one who had to attack. However, then we discovered that the hug on Tourmalet was an idea by Contador, who probably wanted to look as if he had made things up with the Luxembourgian.
    This year instead Alberto can behave as he wants and, in fact, he's ruling the Giro.
    Actually, I think that yesterday the supporters booed at him because it was a way to boo at Bjarne. Bjarne who, on the other hand, today has denied his involvement in the Crostis exclusion.

    I think that Cavendish and Contador have different personalities. Cav is arrogant and is aware that he may offend people by saying what he thinks. Contador, instead, never wants to create polemics, but on certain occasions he really comes across like a very naive person. I even suspect that, sometimes, he talks without thinking about what he says :P
    In an interview with Gazzetta, for example, he once said that he had spent a lot of money for his trial 'because in this way I can help also the people who aren't as wealthy as me and who can't afford wht I can afford'. Months later, I'm still asking myself what he really meant with those words :P

    RispondiElimina
  10. I think Bertie's problem, mainly, is that he's not very charismatic. To me, he always seems very uncomfortable in interviews and that's probably why he sometimes ends up saying weird or unfortunate things.

    Cav, on the other hand, says stupid things from time to time but mostly it's on purpose because he's, well, arrogant and probably think it's fun to see people's reactions :P
    Cav actually leaves an impression and you get a feel of his personality whereas Bertie is just bland and comes off a bit... weird because he's so clearly out of his element.

    RispondiElimina
  11. Fede, no need to apologise to me, I've set off Coug's email spam filter loads of times. I'm a bit of a Luddite--I've had the same mobile phone for over 10 years. So I think this is just technology's way of getting its revenge, because I also don't have a blogger, twitter, facebook, or any other social networking account :P

    Actually, not following tennis is probably good for your blood pressure. I probably earned a few grey hairs from watching Wimbledon all these years.

    Contador the person actually seems very mild-mannered, and benign. It's some of his racing tactics that I object to. As a private citizen, I have nothing against him.

    Is it okay to confess that, his arrogance aside, I find Cavendish funny? His tweets anyway, are very entertaining. i like what he said about Etna, and his legs exploding... :p

    Thanks for the advice about the Champs Elysées. I don't know if I have the endurance, or luxury of waiting there all day. If I was just visiting Paris for that purpose, and lived in a neighbouring country, that would be different, but I am on holidays after all, so time is money, and I must be practical. I'll probably just drop by quickly in the morning, or afternoon, take a few pictures of the crowd, and go sightseeing, or visit a museum. I'm sure the cyclists won't be offended by my lack of devotion :P

    I love the idea that Belgian fans are out there cooking food, and making a party of the occasion. That's wonderful :) Really, what I'll miss out on, more than seeing the peloton arrive, will be the festal atmosphere.

    RispondiElimina
  12. @ Susanne: It's true that Contador doesn't actually look at ease during interviews. Sometimes I have the feeling he always wants to seem nice and avoid polemics, but probably this makes him feel very nervous and even makes him say some very stupid things :P

    Cav seems much more self-confident than Conti and, even when he's wrong (see the Alba-Parma stage of this year Giro), he keeps on defending his ideas and creating polemics. As you say, Cav says weird things too, but at least he does it intentionally!

    @ Figbash: The same mobile phone for 10 years? You broke my father's record!! He had the same phone for 9 years, whereas I had the same one for about 7 years.

    I really don't have anything against Contador the person either, because he seems such a nice, simple and innocent person. But still, on some occasions he has some terrible 'gaffes'. Perhaps he doesn't realise it, but sometimes he does say strange and arguable things.

    I like Cav, so I'm not going to ban you from this blog ;)
    Mark is arrogant and I can't forgive him what he's done to his childhood sweetheart (and fiancé) Melissa, but the way he rides is amazing. Moreover, I've read his book and I know he's had a pretty tough past. He's also very funny and, in addition, he was very nice with me when I met him in Milan in 2008.

    Perhaps you could take a look at the last Tour stage not from the Champs Elysées, but from a less crowded place. Then you can go to the Champs at the end of the stage and take a few pictures. If you're lucky and you discover where the team buses are, I suggest you going there. In that way you should have higher chances to meet the athletes...

    I'd really like to go to the Champs Elysées stage in order to live the festal atmosphere. I was at the Mendrisio Worlds in 2009 and I really loved that experience. In fact in Mendrisio there were the Belgians cooking, the Irish and the Norwegians drinking, laughing, sitting on benches and wearing strange hats, the Italians singing the national anthem and waving their flags, the Spaniards screaming and making noise, the Kazakhistanis wearing their traditional clothes, the Dutch wearing orange jerseys, the Swiss supporting Cancellara, the Australians with flags and kangaroos... It was like a big party with people from all over the world, it was so cool!

    RispondiElimina
  13. Fede, between your account of the Mendrisio Worlds, and reading Natasha’s report about Stage 7 of the Tour of California (which you should read, if you haven’t already: http://trailsofangeles.blogspot.com/), I may just by a little chair when I arrive in France.

    Actually, my usually very practical mum, who insists that I not waste time, or money, said that if she were in my situation, she would wait at the Champs Elysées for the cyclists to arrive, and scream “Hi Andy” :p :p :p I think you can tell, my mum must have been quite the fangirl when she was watching the Tour of Luzon. I’m relieved she isn’t travelling with me, as she would tell the cyclists, to their face, that I like them *cringe of embarrassment*

    Anyway, I would feel kind of strange asking people for food, so I’ll probably just bring a baguette lunch, and perhaps an extra bottle of Rivella, and a bar of Toblerone ;)

    RispondiElimina
  14. @ Figbash: Natasha's post is great, I had a lot of fun while reading it!

    You really should buy a little chair in Paris. The other day I took my battle position in San Pellegrino at 2.30 pm and after 30 minutes my legs were already begging me to sit down :P

    Mothers are always much more fangirlistic than their daughters. It was my mum who pushed the Fangirl-who-is-in-me to stalk the poor Denis Menchov the other day :P

    I wouldn't like asking other people for food either, so I think you'd better bring a baguette along. And don't forget the water!

    RispondiElimina