lunedì 11 aprile 2011

A surprise winner for an exciting Roubaix:

The season of the outsiders continues. After Goss and Nuyens' victories, the third Monument Classic of 2011 was won by another outsider, the lanky Johann Van Summeren.
Not that I complain, of course. Actually, I was very happy to see Van Summeren (can I call him 'Summie?') triumphing in Roubaix because it was like a breath of fresh air for this Fangirl. In fact, me likes unpredictable races - and unpredictable races often have unpredictable winners. And yesterday race was really unpredictable, since crashes, punctures and motorbikes did their best to create more suspence.
Having to predict the name of the race winner, yesterday morning I would have said 'Thor Hushovd'. At the end of the day, however, it wasn't Thor who entered the velodrome first, but it was Van Summeren. At least, I had guessed the winning team.
Talking about Garmin, their race was really good. Hushovd was simply flying, while Van Summeren entered a very important breakaway right after the Arenberg forest. Said breakaway was formed also by Bak, Hayman, Quinziato, Guesdon (winner of 1997 Roubaix), Cooke (who was feeling very well) and Roelandts. After the forest, these 10men bridged up to the leading group, which was formed by Boucher, Engoulvent, Tjalingii, Docker, Oliveira, Veilleux, Seubert and Elmiger. Van Summeren & Co. however weren't amongst the last guys to join the main group at the head of the race: their example in fact was soon followed also by Degenkolb, Rasch, Rast and Leezer. Arenberg forest was one of the key points of the race also because it saw Hincapie and Boonen puncturing before/while facing it. Quick Step was actually chased by bad luck, since a few kms later Chavanel and Boonen even crashed and eventually said 'Adieu!' to their victory chances. Also Pozzato crashed, just like Sagan, and had to abandon his dreams of glory.
With about 35 kms to go there was the decisive moment of the race. With one of his usual attacks, Cancellara got rid of the other peloton guys. The only ones who could follow him were Hushovd and Ballan. The fate of the race seemed almost decided but, when the magic trio had a disadvantage of just 25" from the leading group, Cancellara (who hadn't received a single turn at the front yet) suddenly stopped pulling. 'I'm not going to bring you into the main group if you don't pull too', Fabian probably said to his fellows in that moment. Both Ballan and Hushovd looked a bit confused and in the end they decided not to help Fabian. That was the decisive point of Roubaix, since after that moment Fabian stopped pulling and the advantage of the breakaway guys went back to the previous 1 minute gap.
Imo both Hushovd and Ballan did the right thing in not helping Cancellara in that moment. Fabian is a very dangerous adversary and he had no one in the leading group. Garmin and BMC, on the other hand, had Van Summeren and Quinziato at the front.
Talking about Quinziato, he suddenly disappeared from the first positions of the race. This happened because he hit a motorbike on le Carrefoure de l'Arbre (right after Van Summeren had attacked) and he lost all his victory chances there.
Motorbikes often disturbed the riders yesterday, not just because of the dust that they caused (a necessary thing, unfortunately for the athletes), but mainly because of the obstacles that they created to the guys. Cancellara even had to stop one of his attacks because of a motorbike, that was a true scandal!!

Talking about the eventual results, I must underline once again the great race that Garmin managed to do. As well as putting a key rider like Van Summeren in the leading group, Vaughters' team also exploited the huge talent of Sep Vanmarcke, who worked hard for Hushovd and arrived 20th anyway. As you could read on my Twitter page, yesterday I was supporting Sep, since he's now become one of my favourites 'Cobble riders' (together with Breschel, Iglinskiy and Leukemans).
Still talking about Garmin guys, Hushovd paid a lot of attention to Cancellara and it was great to see someone being able to resist Fabian's attacks on the cobblestones. Poor Haussler instead abandoned the race after a crash. Talking about Van Summeren, he was simply amazing. He even punctured with 5 kms to go, but he kept on riding because he couldn't change his bike wheel. He held on and he won. Amazing.
People often say that Roubaix is the 'Hell of the North', but Johann actually found his own Paradise in this terrible race characterised by dust, cobblestones and risks. In fact, not only did he enter history by soloing to the finish-line of Roubaix alone: he also proposed to his girlfriend at the end of the race! Things couldn't have gone better for this lanky Belgian, right? ;)
Talking about other riders (and other teams), Fabian Cancellara was a great second. When he attacked with a few kms to go I thought he was going to catch Van Summeren! Unfortunately, Fabian didn't have a very strong/experienced team yesterday and that was a pity. If he had had a teammate at the front, things might have gone in a different way. Fab ad Mortensen in fact were the only Leopard Trek riders who finished yesterday race, while Nizzolo, O'Grady, Posthuma, Stamsnijder, Klemme and Weylandt all got retired.
Third in the race was a surprising Tjallingii, the only vegetarian rider of the peloton. Rabobank also had Boom and Langeveld who were in a great condition and this makes me wonder how things would have gone if poor Matti Breschel had been able to race.
4th in the race was Rast, who got one of the best seasonal results for Team Radioshack.
5th instead was Bak, a Columbia Danish rider. Columbia rode well, since Eisel was a good 7th and the young Degenkolb attacked after the Arenberg forest and eventually came in 20th. The boy has all the physical qualities that the North Classics demand and moreover he seems to have a great mentality. Therefore, I'm sure that in a few years time he'll surely take home at least one of the North races.
Talking about Bak, was I the only one who laughed when he made that gesture to tell the others that they all needed to take regular turns at the head of the breakaway?
The 6th rider to cross the finish-line yesterday was Ballan, whose team was very unlucky. In fact, as I already mentioned, BMC lost Hincapie because of a flat tyre and Quinziato (who had excellent victory chances) because of a stupid motorbike.
The best Sky rider instead was Flecha (9th), while Hayman was 10th. Poor Thomas crashed together with Boonen and other guys (I almost had a heart attack when I saw him crashing).
11th was the eternal Frederic Guesdon, whereas 13th was a surprising Mirko Selvaggi. Vacansoleil team leader, Leukemans, crashed a few times during the race and he eventually got retired (just like De Gendt, Mol and Bozic). Stijn Devolder instead was 105th, but at least managed to cross the finish-line.
Also Hoste and Pozzato got retired and Pippo said that he had lost all his victory chances when Katiusha's car punctured. Actually, I must say that I've seen him at the front on a very few occasions in this year North classics.
Quick Step was cursed by bad luck as well, although Sylvain Chavanel managed to cross the line in 38th, together with his brother Sebastien. Also Liquigas didn't have a lot of luck, since Sagan crashed when he was in a very good position.
As far as Saxo Bank is concerned, Cooke had high ambition for the race, but he was stopped by bad luck too.
Talking about Riis' team, I'd like to point out Marycz's performance: the Polish rider went on a breakaway in the very first kms of race and then he managed to cross the finish-line in 93rd. Chapeau!

So, these are my opinions about the 2011 edition of the Queen of the Classics. There was dust, there was blood, there was sweat and there was excitement. And in the end, there was also a wonderful (although surprising) winner. Well done Johann - and best wishes for your marriage!

PS: If you haven't done it yet, check out Marleen's post on Bananas About Bikes (the one about the Bourg Saint Maurice stage of 2009 TdF). And remember that, if you have tales from old/recent cycling races, you can send them to bananasaboutbikes@gmail.com and see them published on our wonderful blog!

12 commenti:

  1. Okay, I realize that my third consecutive first comment must make it seem like I have nothing better to do in my life, but my maternity leave is already started, so that is kind of true. ;-) I'm just sitting on my behind and waiting for Olivia.

    Van Summeren was a surprising winner, but I thought he'd well deserved it, even before I knew he'd finished with a puncture. Amazing indeed. Congratulations to him and his girlfriend.
    Fab's second is also great. Speaking of, am I the only one who sees nothing really wrong in the wholr pull-gate thing? It seems to be causing uproar on internet forums, but for me it's clear - everyone did the best for themselves. Hushovd and Ballan were right in not helping such a dangerous adversary, but Cancellara was also right in refusing to do all the work for them.
    I laughed my heart out at Boonen's bad luck. Not like evil laugh, more like the sympathetic laugh that only someone's bad luck can bring. Seriously, who punctures with four kilometers left of Arenberg and then crashes just as he was beginning to chase the peloton? Poor thing. Also chapeau to Chavanel for even bothering to finish. I wouldn't have.
    Quinziato also had major bad luck. The whole time in the front and then dropped like that. :-( And while I'm at it, I was impressed by the organization of such a large group in the breakaway. I kept expecting them to dissipate and get caught, but they surprised me. Even shifts on the front, good organization - way to go!
    Is it just me, or did I see Pozzato crash somewhere? The chronist wasn't even sure if it was him, but he thought it was a broken collarbone for whoever it may be, and then the camera left him and nothing more was heard of that.
    Something similar happened with Leukemans too. For a while I saw him on the front and then he vanished too without the chronist bothering to mention that.

    On a side note, this race showcased what I think is one of the main problems of Leopard Trek as a team - the lack of support for the team leader. Virtually everyone else (at the front) had a teammate at least until the very finish and/or a car within sight, while Fab lost his team even before the first attack and I didn't spot the Leopard car anywhere near. Maybe I'm wrong and that's the camera, but if I'm not and there wasn't a car nearby, he'd have lost a lot of time should a mechanical happen. And we saw something like that in RVV as well, asking for water from the car that wasn't there and breaking away teamless.
    This isn't even about Fab, I'm using him as the most recent example.

    Many times during the race yesterday I wondered about the need for so many motorbikes, especially as some seemed to have particularly dumb people riding them. Two almost crashed into each other for no reason at all, with the group following right behind. Seems like they cause more damage than good.

    RispondiElimina
  2. I'm sad for Fab, but very happy for van Summeran and I thought it so sweet that he proposed to his girlfriend that same day as well. I have to agree with Cristin - where is the team support from Leopard Trek?! I seriously hope they get that problem sorted come TdF! A

    RispondiElimina
  3. @ Cristin: third consecutive first-comment in a row? Well, I think that Olivia will be a great cycling fan since her birth!! Btw, my fingers are crossed for the 'big event' dear! Best of luck!

    I don't see anything wrong in the whole pull- gate thing either. Cancellara didn't want to give the victory 'on a silver plate' to Hushovd, whereas Ballan and Thor didn't want to put Fabian in a situation from which he could have launched one of his great attacks. They all acted selfishly and they were all right in doing so (at least in my opinion).

    I can understand your sympathetic laugh for Boonen :) I actually screamed in a very squeaky way after every crash on Sunday and, when Chavanel crashed, I felt so sorry that I had to call my sister to tell her about Quick Step's bad luck ('sis, Chavanel and Boonen have crashed and Tom has even punctured! Poor things!!!!')

    I don't think I would be able to end a Roubaix if I crashed during it. So, chapeau to Sylvain!

    Pozzato crashed too, but he didn't break anything.
    There were so many crashes on Sunday that they actually didn't manage to show them all. Ballan for example crashed twice, while Thomas fell 3 times. When I read about it, I asked myself whether the reportes and I had watched the same race :P

    Motorbikes are important because they offer us good images, but there's a limit to everything! I hope there won't be scenes like these in the next races!

    @ A: Perhaps we should make a poll about the 'best cyclist's proposal' ever. Right now the question is: who was better at dropping the question, Frank Schleck or Van Summeren? ;)

    @ A. and Cristin: I agree with you both about LT's lack of support for Cancellara.
    I don't know what happened with the team car in RVV, but I think (hope) that the ds probably had a serious excuse for not giving the water to Fabian.

    Talking about the Tour, I don't think the team will have problems there. In the Tour in fact there will be all the team line-up will surely be formed by all the most experienced and strong riders (los Schlecks, Fuglsang, Voigt, O'Grady, Cancellara, Feillu, Bennati, Gerdemann, Wegmann...).

    As far as the RVV and Roubaix are concerned, imo LT had a bad line-up for them. Guys like Posthuma, Weylandt and Stamsnijder are good riders, but they're not particularly strong on the cobblestones. Moreover, imo athletes like Nizzolo and Klemme lack of experience.

    Cancellara is strong, but in Roubaix he could rely just on O'Grady (who, after doing his job, was too tired to help him again) and that wasn't enough. Garmin, Quick Step and BMC all had a Plan B and they successfully managed to isolate Fabian without many problems.
    Imo, Leopard Trek ds overestimated Fabian's talent. He's the most complete rider of the world, that's for sure, but he can't do everything on his own.
    Last year at Saxo he was more relaxed because there was Matti Breschel as well as O'Grady, Cooke and Larsson. This year instead he had to do everything on his own.
    Perhaps LT guys should have thought more carefully about this fact during the marketing season, since imo they concentrated more on le Tour and on the Ardennes rather than on the North Classics. And this isn't actually very nice when you have a champion like Cancellara in your team.

    But well, now it's too late to complain. Next year Fabian will hopefully receive much more support from a more experienced team!

    RispondiElimina
  4. Hey Fede! Lovely post, I really enjoy the way you have made the team names different - and appopriate - colours, so we can tell which team anyone featured belongs to - if you'll pardon that bad sentence construction!

    Not quite sure what SaxoBlank would think about being pink.....

    Van Summeren proposed? (*shrieks with excitement*) Wow! I've just ("only" just) done my blog entry for this race, and I commented on his wonderful post-race meeting with his girlfriend: I was so struck by it that I commented at length, and I am still reliving it in my mind. (Except with me playing her part, and Andy playing Johan's part, of course. And yes, I have been through the time machine in this little daydream.)(Oh dear, back to Andyhab for me)

    So he was proposing, d'aaaw, so romantic. That knocks Frankie right out of the water, in my opinion.

    Cristin, A and Fede, you are all right, Team Leopard haven't really quite got it together yet when it comes to supporting the leader. It's a bit disloyal to say it, but I did read the team roster for this race and think "who?" for most of them. It's pretty disgracful to send Fabu out to a race he's won twice, with really only Stuey as support.

    Oh well, we have to assume that they know what they are doing....

    Coug

    RispondiElimina
  5. Coug, I think all fangirls who saw Johann in the velodrome with his gf (sorry, fiancé) started replaying it in their minds with themselves in her place and Andy (or Frankie, Jakob, Fab, Chris or Matti...)as Johann. I know I did ;) although Roubaix was replaced with Paris and the rock was now a yellow jersey... Mrs Andy Schleck. Has such a nice ring to it, no? Ah one can dream right? Oh, and I think Johann's proposal takes the cake since it was such a momentous occasion for him. Now if we only knew what Frankie said when he was proposing he could make a comeback for the 'best proposal' prize. A

    RispondiElimina
  6. @ CG: Hi Coug!!!
    I actually thought a lot about the possible colour with which I could highlight the name 'Saxo Bank'. If I had done it black, it would have disappeared, whereas if I had done it white, it would have been confused amongst the other words. Therefore I went for pink :P Hopefully Uncle Bjarne won't get angry at me if he finds out about it!

    Who hasn't relived that magic moment between Summie and his girlfriend? It was so sweet and romantic!!!! After watching it, I took a decision: I need a pro cyclist as a boyfriend. A handsome pro cyclist, if possible. The question now is: shall I go for a 'cobblestones' rider or for a Grand Tour one? :P

    Frankie's proposal was very romantic too (in Curaçao, with the sun going down and so on), but perhaps it was a bit too classic for my taste :P

    Leopad Trek's guys for P-R did their best, but unfortunately the team needed someone that could help Fabian in the key moments on the cobblestones. And, unfortunately, in the LT team there is no one (apart from O'Grady) that can do this task.

    @ A: After reading the comments that you and CG wrote, I feel much more relaxed: in fact, it seems that I wasn't the only one who relived that moment many times, with different protagonists and with a different scenario (last mountain stage of the Tour, if you're interested :P)!
    Mrs. Andy Schleck does sound good indeed! I wonder who'll be the lucky one ;)

    The season has just begun, so we could have more proposals coming up! Will someone be more romantic than Summie? Let's wait and see!! However, the guys will surely have to work hard with their fantasy if they want to steal the 'best proposal prize' from Johann!

    RispondiElimina
  7. Oh me me! Pick me Andy! I like your idea of getting a pro cyclist Fede - I wish I actually had opportunities to meet some :( classics or grand tours? It's a hard choice...A

    RispondiElimina
  8. Haha, I don't think any of the riders will propose now Summie has done it already.. then it will be like: look, he's copying Summie! Not quite original.. ;) But I totally loved that moment, it was so sweet! And Summie winning was already awesome, I mean: all us cycling fans got to see some wonderful, unpredictable races lately! It's really awesome.. Just like you said Fede, unpredictable races with surprising winners are the best! :)

    I couldn't watch today's Brabantse Pijl, but it seems like it was a nice race.. with one of my fave teams, Vacansoleil, being amazing and Philippe Gilbert showing his skills once more and winning from Björn in the sprint (I don't think you could call it a sprint, haha, Philippe was superb!) Amstel on Sunday! I wish I could go there, but it's so far away from where I live and/or my parents live.. maybe some other year/time.. well, on tv you see it better anyway ;)

    And yay for Maarten Tjallingii and Johnny Hoogerland!! :)

    RispondiElimina
  9. @ A: I don't have any real opportunity to end up with a pro cyclist either, but a fangirl is allowed to dream, isn't she? ;)
    Classics or Grand Tours, what a dilemma!! I adore Flanders, Sanremo and Roubaix, but I love GTs too!!

    @ Marleen: There are just a few riders whose ways of proposing were made known to the great public in the last years and they were Frank Schleck, Mark Cavendish (he wrote about it in his book) and Johan Van Summeren. That makes an average of about a proposal pro year. Therefore, I think we'll have to wait until next year before another rider pops the question or decides to tell the world about how he proposed to his girlfriend :P
    In the meanwhile, Johann surely takes home the 'best cyclist's proposal' prize ;)

    I watched just the last kms of Brabantse Pijl and, as you said, Philippe was superb! Leukemans and Hoogerland were really good too. I can't wait to see what Johnny will do at Amstel! And on Sunday there will be even guys like los Schlecks, Vinokourov and so on, wow!!

    It's a pity that you can't go to Amstel, but I'm sure you'll be able to watch other exciting races live this year :)

    Tjallingii was amazing on Sunday, yay for the Dutchies!!

    RispondiElimina
  10. I just wanted to say something re the LT support for Fabian. Yes, it was odd that he was left all on his own. And I really only ever saw Stuey helping him early on. I think I also saw Neo and Tom at some stage at the front of the peloton, but that was it.

    As far as sending more experienced riders in to support him - Dominic may be young but he placed 14th at P-R and was very good support for Fabian last year (see video + cuteness http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/video-klemme-on-joining-leopard-trek-and-the-classics). It's just a pity that he crashed this year and didn't finish (Leela sad).

    Also Robert Wagner was supposed to ride P-R, but couldn't because he fractured his leg before Flanders, but if he had have ridden I think he would have been of great assistance to Fabian.

    To be honest I think that Fabian contributed a great deal to his not winning P-R this year. I think he was silly for sitting up when he was arguing with Hushovd and Flecha. If he hadn't, maybe we'd be reading a different story now. Having said that I am amazed that he managed to come in 2nd... I still think though, if he'd attacked maybe 5km earlier than he did right at the end, I have no doubt he would have caught JVS! I am really pleased though that JVS won. :D

    RispondiElimina
  11. Hey! It's Frankie and Leea's birthday! Happy birthday to them :) A

    RispondiElimina
  12. @ Leela: you're right about poor Wagner, he would have been an important support rider in P-R if he hadn't crashed before Flanders :(
    And apologies to our banana man, I had forgotten about his 14th place at Roubaix (shame on me)! :S

    Fabian was probably very pissed off during P-R because everyone was following him and because the situation didn't look good for him. The other top riders seemed able just to rely on him!!
    But still, I agree with you: perhaps, if he had attacked 1 or 2 kms earlier, he could have won, especially if you consider that Summie had a flat tyre in the last 5 kms of race.

    @ A: With a huge delay (for which I apologise), I wish a happy birthday to Frank and Leea! Hopefully daddy will bring home a great present for the whole family on Wednesday or on Sunday!

    RispondiElimina