domenica 24 aprile 2011

King Philippe gets his 4th consecutive victory:

Amazing, wonderful, great, epic, destined to enter cycling history.
These are just some of the words/sentences that people could use to define Philippe Gilbert's victory in today Liége - Bastogne - Liége. The Belgian was the strongest rider of the field once again and on the podium he was sandwiched between the Schleck brothers. In fact, for the first time since 2009, this afternoon a Schleck (actually two) came back on the podium of a Classic. But still, the brothers seemed unable to do anything to beat Gilbert, who brought his little son Alan on the top spot of the podium once again. And so, after less than one year of life, Gilbert jr. can already say that he's been on the top spot of both AGR and LBL's podiums. I'm sure there would be lots of older people who'd pay very big sums in order to have those experiences too.

Today race was really exciting, at least if seen from the (impartial) point of view of a Schleck supporter. For the first time I could see Leopard Trek working as a team at the front of a Classic, although the pulling style of one of the riders made me ask some questions about the team preparation. That rider (who I didn't recognise) was pulling with about 30 kms to go and looked simply desperate: open mouth, grimacing face, up on his pedals... Unfortunately, in spite of his efforts, the breakaway guys weren't losing any second of advantage. Actually, their gap on the peloton was increasing. Ops...
Talking about the breakaway, it was formed by very good riders and that's why it lasted a lot. Said riders were Vorganov, De Gendt, Gallopin, Frank, Sivtsov, Garate, Ten Dam, Van Avermaet, Kadri, Cataldo, Pineau, Caruso and Gasparotto. After the Redoute, some of these guys were still at the front of the race, whereas Van Avermaet got dropped by the 3 strongest riders with just 6 kms to go, on the Cote de Saint Nicolas (which is located in the 'Little Italy' of Liége and is also called 'the cote of the Italians').
With about 20 kms to go, on the Roche aux Fauçons, the race seriously started getting exciting. In fact on that climb there was an attack by Andy Schleck, who could be followed just by his brother Frank and by Gilbert.
In the meanwhile, poor Vinokourov had a mechanical problem and also had a misunderstanding with Iglinskiy ('Give me your front wheel, Maxim!! Now! Be fast!' 'Ok Vino, give me a second and I'll give you my wheel' 'Oh no, it's taking you too much to take that damn wheel off your bike, give me your bike!' 'What? My bike? But the wheel has almost come off! And you had said you wanted just my front wheel!' 'Ok, I'v changed my mind, now just give me the BIKE!!!'). By the time Iglinskiy and Vino ended the mute, imaginary discussion that you've just read here, poor Alexandre had already lost all his victory chances. What a bad way to end his love-story with LBL... :(
While Vino was facing this little drama, los Schlecks were riding up the Roche aux Fauçons with Gilbert and Van Avermaet, whereas Gasparotto had already got dropped.
As you may know, Roche aux Fauçons is a climb formed by two parts. I expected an attack by one of the brothers in the second part of the climb and instead I got nothing. 'Well, perhaps they'll attack on the flat terrain between this climb and the next one', I thought. I expected an attack there, and I got nothing. Before the Cote de Saint Nicolas, I thought: 'Well, it looks like Frank is going to attack here!' and instead I got nothing. On the Cote de Saint Nicolas, I thought: 'Well, one of the brothers should really do something now, apart from turning his head backwards'. This time, I eventually got something. In fact the brothers (Andy in particular) tried to increase the pace, but then they and the supporters were surprised by an attack. A strong attack. Too bad that the rider who did it was Gilbert, and not one of my beloved brothers.
Frankie had to struggle to follow Phil, while Andy had some problems and Van Avermaet was dropped for good. Luckily Andy soon reached Frank and Phil again and he started pulling hard. In fact, behind the first three riders there was now a group of chasers formed by strong guys like Kreuziger, Sorensen (YAY!), Anton and Uran.
With 4 kms to go, I still thought that a victory was possible for the Schleck brothers. I thought Andy could have attacked, leaving Gilbert with the hard task of chasing him at the end of a 250 kms long race. 'If Phil reached Andy, then Frank could attack and try to win the race!', I thought optimistically. But apparently the brothers were too tired / too impressed by Gilbert's strength to try doing something. In the last km I still hoped that one of them would have done something, but eventually Frank tried to attack Gilbert just in the final 200 meters. And so Phil Gil could cross the finish-line in a calm way, after an easy sprint, with two Schlecks as side dishes.
4th was Roman Kreuziger (this made me ask what results Scarponi could have got if he had raced this afternoon), while 5th was Uran and 6th was a great Sorensen (YAY!). 7th was an exceptional Van Avermaet, while 8th was Nibali, 9th Leukemans and 10th Samu Sanchez.

The podium was the best looking one of the year so far, no doubts about that. Ok, Phil Gil isn't the most good-looking guy of the peloton (although he isn't bad-looking either), but Alan, Frank and Andy contributed to making the podium look great. I was hoping to get a glimpse of little Leea on the podium, but Frank and Martine decided to avoid that. Good choice, if I can say it.
Both Frank and Andy were really nice towards Gilbert. Frank bowed in front of him, while Andy shook hands with the Belgian right after the finish-line. This fact (and the brothers' declarations after the race) made me think about one thing. After last year Chaingate, in fact, some people complained about the fact that Andy hadn't got angry at Contador in the last Tour stages. At the time, some people said: 'It's Riis who made Andy behave in this way, he had no choice'. Well, I actually think that this afternoon we could finally understand that that behaviour wasn't imposed by Riis. Simply, Andy is a nice, classy guy who plays it fair. And the same goes for Frankie.

Talking about the teams, from my race report you might have understood that I wasn't completely satisfied with the eventual outcome of the race. In fact, I had the feeling that the brothers, especially after the Cote du Saint Nicolas, were racing for the second and for the third place, rather than for the victory. According to Andy, he did try to increase the pace on the penultimate climb, but I thought that then Frankie could have tried something too. Or perhaps, the brothers could have tried attacking already in the second part of the Roche aux Fauçons, so that they would have forced Gilbert to get a bit tired while chasing at least one of them.
However, I understand that talking from a couch is always simple and that there's a reason why I'm not a ds. Liége is a 250 kms long race and Gilbert's attack on Cote du Saint Nicolas was terrific, but I still have a bittersweet taste in my mouth. In some ways, I think the brothers could have raced better. At least, they could have been a bit more brave.
Talking about the rest of Leopard Trek, Jakob Fuglsang was simply amazing. Also Stefan Denifl worked very well, just like Monfort, Wegmann and Voigt.
Omega - Pharma Lotto, on the other hand, didn't look that great today, especially because for the first time Phil Gil found himself alone with 20 kms to go. However I'd like you to notice that a great Jelle Vanendert was 17th also today. The boy has talent, believe me.
A team who raced very well, although it didn't have good luck, was Astana. Gasparotto was simply amazing and I really liked his post - race comments ('I wanted to ride on the top of the Redoute first at least once in my life'). He joined the breakaway, was first on the Redoute and he even helped his teammates in the final kms. Simply great.
Kreuziger was really good too, while Vinokourov and Iglinskiy were both victims of the bad luck. I'm sorry for Vino, especially because this was his last Liége and he managed to come in 33rd anyway.
Another team who raced well this afternoon was BMC. I had scolded this team off in my last post, saying that they had been invisible in Fleche. Today instead they rode much better, since Frank joined a breakaway and Van Avermaet was a super 7th.

As far as the other teams are concerned, Rabobank sometimes pulled at the head of the race, but eventually the best rider was Martens, 13th (hey, Paul has been riding very fast lately!). Freire instead was 15th (Oscarito, are you sure you want to retire this year?!?).
Also Katiusha and Euskaltel pulled at the front of the race for some kms. The team from the Paìs Vasco got a good 10th with S. Sanchez and a good 14th with Igor Anton, whereas Katiusha had Kolobnev as its best rider (11th). A good result, although Joaquim Rodriguez was a bit disappointing.

Other riders instead managed to do well although they didn't have a good team. Sky was very good, since Uran got 5th and Gerrans 12th. Still, the team riders never pulled in the last kms.
Saxo Bank instead had the two Sorensens as its best riders. Nicki tried to break away, while Chris was a super 6th. This boy will entertain us in July, that's for sure.
Liquigas best rider was Nibali, 8th, who is in a very good shape ahead of Giro. Basso instead was disappointing, but he's not going to take part in the Corsa Rosa.
Leukemans (9th) was excellent once again, while Van Garderen (18th) was a good surprise.

So, this was 2011 Liége and this was 2011 Campaign of the Classics. Now the hills and the cobblestones of Belgium, France and Holland are ready to leave the stage to the Italian roads, that will soon be the theatre of the Giro d'Italia.
But still, we have to wait some weeks before of that ;) In the meanwhile, let's enjoy the last days of Easter holidays and let's talk LBL all together ;)
(Pic by Bettini)

26 commenti:

  1. Okay, I just had to share this video with people who would appreciate it. It's truely awwwwwww inspiring.
    http://nos.nl/video/235396-andy-schleck-zit-stuk-na-luik.html

    RispondiElimina
  2. @Fede, first of all I completely disagree with you about the brothers not trying to attack. In my mind they tried and tried but Gilbert just was as strong as them and at one moment even stronger than the bros.
    Second, it made me a little sad (and somewhat mad) that you're calling them not brave. So tell me what or who do you classify as brave? (e.g Hushovd and co in P-R?) Or did we maybe see a different race?
    To my opinion this LBL was a fair and open race and the best/strongest cyclists were at the podium and Gilbert should be glad that he wasn't treated like Cancellara in the cobblestone races; he even got water from another team.....
    And for baby and tears, here you go:
    http://nos.nl/video/235396-andy-schleck-zit-stuk-na-luik.html

    RispondiElimina
  3. Unfortunately I didn't see the race so I can't comment much about the brothers' tactics, but I don't think there's a need to come out swinging at Fede just because she expressed disappointment with Los Schlecks. BTW that video is SO sweet! I melted twice watching that - first to see Andy so upset and second just seeing him with Leea (everyone say AWWW!) A

    RispondiElimina
  4. Noooooes, it wouldn't publish my comment! D: And it was really long too... I'll try recreating it :P

    It can be hard to tell from the couch if they're really trying or not. Like you, Fede, I was waiting and waiting for the Schlecks to attack but nothing seemed to happen and at first I was a bit disappointed. But afterwards I thought about it and it can be really hard to spot those long increasings in tempo on TV. I think the Schlecks did everything they could to win, Phil Gil was just too strong.

    I was really happy to see the team that strong ^.^ In my opinion they can be really proud of their race.
    The rider you're referring too who didn't seem in the best shape was Fabian Wegmann, as far as I know. Only a few minutes before he came to the front you'd seen him in the very back of the peloton, fighting to hold on. When he came to the front, he was probably giving the very last he had (which clearly wasn't that much :P).

    Oh, and Chris was awesome :D (Danish commentators are already talking about him winning someday. Well, there's a long way from sixth to first :P)

    I haven't seen that video yet so I'll just do it now...
    Oh my god, that was the cutest thing ever! <3 I just need a minute to start breathing again...

    RispondiElimina
  5. @ VirtKitty: Awwww, that vid is truly amazing!! Leea looks so nice and Martine looks so sweet with Andy!
    The poor boy was so tired after the race, it just makes me want to head over Luxembourg and give him some hugs! Hopefully Our Glorious Leader will now have some days off, so that he can relax and clear his mind out for a while.

    @ A: All together: AWWWWWWW! That vid is really nice indeed, it showed a super cute moment inside the Schleck family! :)

    @ Susanne: So sorry for your comment!!! When you write long comments and Blogger doesn't let you publish them, cut them in two parts: it should work that way.

    I believe the brothers when they say that, in their opinions, they did everything they could to win. I mean, who would find himself in the last 20 kms of Liége and wouldn't try everything he could to win the race?

    I agree with you about the team, they all raced very well. And yes, I think it was FabWee the one pulling at that point of the race. I didn't recognise him because he had such an exhausted expression and his face was so red! Moreover, at that point of the race I thought that FabWee had already been dropped. Of course, now that I know that it was him who was pulling, everything changes. Apologies to Fab!!!

    Ahah, I totally understand the enthusiasm of Danish commentators! As soon as Chris crossed the finish-line, I said: 'Oh, Chris will win Liége next year!' and my father looked at me as if I had just said the worst thing of the year :P

    Eheh, Andy + Leea = Lethal Cuteness ;)

    RispondiElimina
  6. @ Barbara: As far as I could see, Andy and Frank attacked on the Roche aux Fauçons (when they were followed just by Gilbert) and then they attacked on the cote de Saint Nicolas. These were the only two attacks that I saw although, as @Susanne said, it's hard to see Andy's tempo increases from your couch.

    As I said, I was a bit disappointed by the way the brothers raced and even today, 21 hours after the end of LBL, I still have some doubts about LT tactics in the last 20 kms.
    In my opinion, if they still had some energy, the brothers should have attacked in the second part of Roche aux Fauçons or in the flat terrain before Saint Nicolas. Imo in fact attacking on Saint Nicolas, with just 6 kms to go, was too predictable and too unlikely to succeed (in fact I don't think that Gilbert would have ever let one of the brothers escape from him with just 6 kms to go). Then, after Gilbert's attack on Saint Nicolas, it just looked as if the brothers were so scared of the Belgian and satisfied with taking the podium that they didn't even try to attack Phil another time. I actually wasn't that happy with this way of racing and that's why I said that I was disappointed and that the brothers weren't that brave yesterday. In fact, I believe that one of them could have attacked at least with 500 meters to go, rather than wait for Gilbert to take such an easy victory at the sprint!

    However, this is just the impression that I got from the race and everyone is free to disagree. Anyway, I'd like to point out that I wasn't the only one who expressed a disappointed judgement about the way the brothers raced yesterday.
    An Italian website, Cicloweb, even said that the brothers committed 'a tactical suicide' yesterday, whereas Twisted Spoke ( http://www.atwistedspoke.com/gilbert-beats-both-schlecks-in-leige-bastogne-liege/ ) wrote that 'the Schlecks simply escorted Gilbert the rest of the way to the finish. Like Gilbert had two pet trained leopards along for the ride. You can’t say those Luxembourger guys aren’t polite. They never made another move, didn’t even bother with a half hearted sprint. Not even a small jump for the cameras'.
    As you can see, I wasn't the only one who watched a certain kind of race. Actually, in comparisons to these two examples, I think that I pointed out my opinion in a more respectful way. If someone instead thinks that my comments on the race were unpolite, I immediately apologise: it wasn't my intention to be rude to the brothers (or to any other cyclist) because I know that they are human beings too and that it's never nice to be criticised.
    Moreover, I believe los Schlecks when they say they have no regrets. They're satisfied with their results and, at the end of the day, that's the most important thing.

    Of course I don't know whether the Schlecks could have managed to beat Gilbert if they had attacked more times. Actually, Phil simply seemed the best guy of the field yesterday. And he seemed the best one not only when he attacked on cote de Saint Nicolas, but also during the rest of the race.

    RispondiElimina
  7. @ Barbara: As far as braveness is concerned, yesterday imo it would have been very brave for one of the brothers to launch a solo attack before Cote de Saint Nicolas. Perhaps it would have been just another way to commit a 'tactical suicide', but I probably would have been happier with that.
    However, I'd like to underline that I'm not saying that the brothers aren't brave in general. Just, yesterday they weren't brave enough in the last 20 kms, at least in my modest opinion.

    As far as concrete examples of braveness are concerned, here are some: Andy Schleck in last week AGR and during 2009 Liége, Frank Schleck (just to make examples known to everyone) in AGR 2006 and on Alpe d'Huez 2006, Vinokourov in last year Tour, Gilbert at last year Worlds, Cancellara in Roubaix 2010 and in Flanders 2011, Chavanel in this year Flanders. I can go on, if someone wants me to.

    Gilbert couldn't be treated like Cancellara because Phil and Fabian have a very different winning style. Fab must drop the others in order to win, while Phil must be dropped by the others. If the guys try to follow Phil whenever he goes, Phil wins anyway because he's very fast. If a fast guy like Hushovd follows Fab whenever he goes, in the endHushovd wins at the sprint because he's faster.

    RispondiElimina
  8. I love the video too, so cute!! :-) I think that the Schlecks did everything they could, LBL is a very tough race and it's hard to attack multiple times. Though, I think that the LT team is not as strong as the Saxo Bank team used to be. I also got that impression in the other classics (with Fabian). But, it's a new team and they still have to "form" etc. It's actually pretty amazing that they're the #1 team in the ranking at the moment, I mean, for a new team that's incredible! Philippe Gilbert is in an amazing shape at the moment and it seems that no one can stop him. I'm a fan, so I was really happy that he won again :-) 4 in a row, it's wonderful.

    I think there's going to be a new tradition in cycling: bring your sweet kids along ;) I can't get enough of these sweeties on the screen.. First Alan, now Leea. #girlygirl

    RispondiElimina
  9. I agree with you: LT doesn't look as strong as SB, probably because it's a new team. In SB there are new riders every year, but the other ones already know how things in the team go. At LT instead everything is new for everyone (I hope you understand what I mean :P), so it is taking a bit longer to build a very strong team for every race. In spite of this, LT has some of the best riders of the world and has been on the podium of 3 Monument Classics out of 4 so far, which is simply great!

    Gilbert is amazing and now he's even said he wants to wear the yellow jersey in the first week of the Tour. Shall we start to get worried?

    Awww, kids! They can be so cute! <3
    Btw, what if Jens Voigt decided to bring his sons on the podium of a race he won? Would there be any space left for the other riders and the podium girls? ;)

    Hey, Dancing Matthews won today, isn't that great? ;)

    RispondiElimina
  10. Yay for Michael BLING / Dancing King Matthews! ;)

    Yes, exactly, that's what I meant too about LT :) Uhoh, Gilbert.. he might just do that! He's unstoppable at the moment, but he's still human (I think? :P) so I bet he's pretty tired now.. well, he has some time to prepare for the Tour :) Phil riding there does make the Tour even more interesting.

    Haha, Jensi.. that'd be awesome, bringing all his 6 kids along on stage :)

    RispondiElimina
  11. @Susanne
    Maybe Blogger doesn't like us. It wouldn't publish my comment either, a few hours ago. :-(

    I'm beyond happy I managed to watch at least the sorry 50 km to go that Eurosport calls a streaming. I love LBL (as I may have already mentioned, Andy winning in 2009 was what got me hooked in the first place), but this year I have a one-week-old-tomorrow :D and it's Easter, so I was completely resigned to not watching at all. Luckily though, Easter turned out to be a good thing, seen as my grandparents came over (with food!) so we all watched and took care of Olivia together.

    All I have to say is - I'm royally amazed. Gilbert sure can hold his form for a long time.

    In fact, the moment Gilbert and Los Schlecks broke away, I was satisfied because I'd be happy with either of the three winning. At the time, I did think that Los Schlecks could've tried something else, somewhere else... But looking back, Gilbert is just very strong and it probably wouldn't have made a big difference. Still, second and third is awesome.

    One thing I was glad for was seeing LT finally working as a more solid team. Fede, I do understand what you mean - they need a lot more fine tuning, but I think they'll improve by the time Le Tour rolls by and then next year this time, may the sky be the only limit. :D

    Oh, and if Gilbert enters Le Tour with this form, then we should definitely be worried.

    I never get to see any podium cuteness, seen as my Eurosport considers the moment when the first ten cross the finish line as the right one to switch sports. Ugh! I'll just have to find a less annoying place to watch.
    But the nice behavior doesn't surprise me. I expected no less.

    That video is just cute cuteness :-)
    Lol at the very thought of all Jensi's children standing by his side on a podium.

    RispondiElimina
  12. Happy remains of Easter holiday to everybody! It's soooo good to sleep till mid morning and then relaxing because you hadn't had enough :P The days before Easter are always frantic with exams, family and everything and now I can enjoy even being bored.

    I totally agree with you Fede, you and Cicloweb said it very well. I'm very perplexed: 2 against 1, right kilometres and right climbs to go and nothing. Moreover this kind of tactic isn't unfair or unsportsmanlike, it's the mother of every cycling strategy. They could try imo, or were risking the podium with a forcing? Then again I don't believe they were tired and Gilbert was fresh as a rose, everybody was holding their soul with the teeth :P Anyway, congrats to Gilbert, he's becoming a new cannibal!

    Kawaii video! I suspect a lot of people wanted to be Leea that moment ;-)

    Francesca

    RispondiElimina
  13. @ Marleen: I don't think Phil can win the Tour (not this summer at least), but perhaps things will change in some years time.
    For the moment it seems that Phil will try winning Roubaix in the next seasons. This is a very exciting news imo, since I love riders who try winning all the 5 Monument Classics!!

    And before I forget: MICHAEL MATTHEWS BOOGERS! (in case you hadn't understood yet, I'm not completely ok :P)

    @ Cristin: Happy first week of life to the little Olivia!!! And so the little one has already watched her first cycling race, eh? That's great! Did she express any interest in Gilbert jr, by chance? ;)
    And good to know that you had a nice Easter! :D

    I do believe that LT will kick lots of asses at the Tour, they'll surely be the strongest team there. Actually, with guys like los Schlecks, Fuglsang, Cancellara and Voigt, a GT team would be extremely strong even if its other riders would be as weak as me :P

    Eurosport guys really do not understand anything at all. How can they cut the podium ceremony of a race where los Schlecks have both reached the top 3 and in which there is also Gilbert jr?
    Really, you need to look for a better channel where to watch the race. Unfortunately I can't give you any suggestion about it, since I'm not an expert of online streamings and I usually watch races on Italian tv.

    Gilbert is truly amazing, he's been winning races since October 2010 and this year he kept a top level of form for a very long time! :O

    @ Francesca: I'm really enjoying the Easter holidays too!
    Actually, I'm afraid I've been procastinating too much in the last days. The holidays will be over in 24 hours time and I still have most of my homeworks to do! :P

    I was perplexed by the way the brothers raced too. Sometimes they make great attacks one after the other, other times (like on Sunday)they just seem unable to do it. I can understand that they were tired but, as you say, Gilbert wasn't as fresh a rose either.

    But hey, the brothers and the ds were happy with their results and that's the most important thing.

    Gilbert was just great, you're right in calling him 'a new cannibal!' The boy has no limits and imo this is quite scaring!

    'A lot of people wanted to be Leea that moment'. By chance, did you read my mind while I was watching that vid? ;)

    RispondiElimina
  14. @Cristin, big congratulations with Olivia! How did the delivery go?

    @Fede, I know about all the agressive reactions in the papers and on internet and I'm just somewhat surprised why they're aiming their critics so strongly at the bros in particular and at LT in general. I think it's so unfair. Instead of appreciating that they were the ONLY ones who tried something against Phil, they only find themselves ridiculised.
    I've never been a cyclist, but engaged in another sport at quite a high (national) level and I know the feeling so (damn) well that despite your wishes and your mental state that sometimes other people are stronger/faster and you can do nothing about it. You could blow up yourself completely or you could choose to try to get second. I really can't see any cowardness in this...

    RispondiElimina
  15. Fede,
    I agree with you and others that have expressed disappointment at the LT tactics. Sure, the Schlecks stuck with Phil when he took off, but they didn't try anything to 'break him'. Maybe they were tired or were given uninspired direction from the DS in the team car,but it was disappointing to me.

    If another team (ie. Garmin, Rabobank) had been in the same situation, 2 cyclists against 1, they would have also been roundly criticized by the press and fans. I don't think LT and the Schlecks are being singled out simply because they are the Schlecks.

    Sometimes I think Schleck supporters are too sensitive to criticism of the team or the brothers. BTW, I am not talking about comments on this blog in particular. I am seeing this kind of reaction on various forums and blogs.

    Brenda

    RispondiElimina
  16. I felt really disappointed at the end of lBl and felt the schlecks didn't really try the basic tactics of cycling when there is 2 against 1. fair enough Philgil is superb at the moment but that shouldn't mean they shouldn't try. They just seemed to give up.

    However I will give them credit for being the only two who did attack and keep pace.

    I think LP would do well to stop talking themselves up before these events as it seems to be putting a lot of pressure on the riders. Better to say little and let results speak.

    I think Schleck fans are a bit to sensitive but as regular reader of many cycling blogs it does appear LP have a lot of haters especially of Andy. There seems to be a lot of criticism of how close Andy and Frank are and how it may hold them back. Their cycling ability appears respected but their tactics not. I am worried about the TDF as I think there are a number of riders who are real contenders and have good teams behind them. I think Andy and LP publicists should keep quiet and let the media pressure be put on other teams. Anyway just my opinion.
    Jen

    RispondiElimina
  17. Jen,

    I know there is a lot of criticism of the Schlecks tactics in races, but I would not go as far as to say that they are hated.

    I do agree with you that LT does tend to create bad feeling because of their PR, always taking themselves up (particularly Brian Nygard) and acting like they are the 'NEW BIG SUPER TEAM' and it does tend to tick people off. Better to let their pedals do the talking.

    Brenda

    RispondiElimina
  18. @ Barbara: The brothers were strong enough to remain alone with Gilbert on Roche aux Fauçons but then, as @ Jen said, they just seemed to give up. Perhaps, as you say, they just realised that Phil was the strongest and they were happy with their podium placements. But still, I don't think that attacking with one km to go would have made them blow up.

    Anyway, on to the 'sharp critics' topic, I do agree with you about the fact that there are some people who don't like the brothers and that are very negative in their comments about them. Here in Italy, when someone must mention a rider who is competitive just for a few races pro year, they immediately mention los Schlecks, saying that 'they aren't the kind of riders that the public loves'. When Cancellara stopped the riders in Spa during last year Tour, some journalists said that he and the brothers had just made a big offence to cycling (instead, when Contador attacked when Andy was having troubles, everything was ok, because 'in cycling races there mustn't be any compassion for the adversaries'). There were many sharp critics also when Andy tried to bring Frank on the Tour's podium in 2009. That year the last mountain stage was on Mont Ventoux and the stage winner was Garate. People said that his victory was 'a shame' and blamed los Schlecks because, according to those people, 'they had let the Spaniard winning'. It was so annoying!

    But still, I think there's a difference between those stupid critics and the ones they received on Sunday for their way of racing and I think hat the brothers are intelligent enough just to care about the 'right' critics.

    @ Brenda: Watching the race, I had the clear feeling that the brothers weren't racing for winning. It was so strange! Btw, I really do hope that the brothers didn't follow anyone's suggestion during the finale of Liége, otherwise their tactics would be even much more disappointing...
    Actually, hearing LT ds saying that the race had been amazing for his team almost made me go mad. 2 against 1 in LBL, your riders take 2nd and 3rd and you said that everything went well? Geez...
    And then, I don't want to sound like a paranoid fangirl, but didn't Andy look pretty sad in the vid that VirtKitty kindly pointed out to us? I don't know if it was just a temporary bad moment caused by the idea of having to face all the journalists after the podium or something like that, but I actually had the impression that Baby Schleck wasn't actually that happy with how things had gone during the race... Anyone else had this feeling?

    About the 'hatred' (what a strong word!) towards the brothers, I actually think that Barbara and Jen are right about it. Perhaps it depends on the country you live in / websites you read, but there are some people who seem unable to tolerate the brothers (and Andy in particular) and there are even some cycling forums that always refer to the brothers in a very irrespectful way.

    Btw I agree with you about the 'sensitivity issue' of some of the Schleck supporters. I remember Beergate and Chaingate way to well to forget about certain comments in forums and other websites (not here, don't worry)...

    @ Jen: Welcome in the comment area, Jen!

    I agree with you about LT's behaviour. Since the team was created, they've been saying that they're the best team in the world, that they're a whole new concept in cycling, that no one organises training camps in the mountains better than them (and who cares if a rider breaks a rib while skiing)... And then, they created thousands of ridiculous secrets about the team. Sometimes I find them so annoying!
    Sometimes I think that LT guys (not the riders) should really just let the results talk. It would be better for everyone.

    RispondiElimina
  19. Again, I can't comment about the racing tactics as I didn't watch the race (and am frankly, a little to lazy right now to find/watch a replay) but I think its easy for everyone who was not one of the brothers to make comments on what they should have done, or to judge whether or not they gave up and raced only for second and third. Don't get me wrong, I don't think there's anything wrong with doing this (that is, debating the race), provided it doesn't go too far, e.g. ppl become disrespectful. I'm just saying that the only people who know what was really going on are the boys themselves and maybe the DS too, and in the end, the race is still over and Gilbert is still the winner. Next race please?
    I do agree however, that LT need to stop promoting themselves so much. If anything, I think they set themselves up for even bigger falls by all their big talking, when they don't come up with the wins. I guess that's the problem though, when the manager (is that what Nygaard is?) comes from a Marketing/PR background. Gosh, can you imagine what it'll be like come TDF? Someone needs to tell them to shut up before then! I wonder how many of the riders would prefer they just shut up and let them do their jobs, ie ride?
    Andy looked really upset in that vid, and I'd say it was probably out of frustration at coming third.I'm sure he probably put enough pressure on himself to win or help Frank win, and to come so close but be so far would make me cry too. A

    RispondiElimina
  20. @ A: You're completely right. We should really get over Liége. The race is over and there's no point discussing this issue forever and ever. Thank you for making me understand it :P

    Talking about other topics, have you read about Bennati's dreadful injury? If so, what changes do you think that LT will make some to their team? And have you read about Kiserlovski's cracked vertebrae?
    Poor guys, if you're scheduled to ride the Giro this is the worst possible period to crash so badly (actually, Robert's injury dates back to P-N, but he's discovered it just now) :(
    I'm so sorry for Bennati, he's always so unlucky! He and O'Grady should organise a race for the 'most unlucky rider of the last 5 years' competition :(

    In my opinion Leopard Trek riders already have a lot of pressure on their shoulders (they're a new team and they were n.1 in the UCI rankings even before of the beginning of the season), so I think there's no need for their PRs to keep on praising them. It just adds more pressure and, as you say, it prepares the road to great falls, rather than to big achievements. There were so many people laughing when Cancellara remained all alone in Roubaix ('are we sure that this is the strongest team of the Earth?', some medias commented), it pissed me off so much!

    I think you're right about Andy's reaction. I've seen him crying for frustration a few times in the last months, now I just hope I'll be able to see him crying for joy on the Champs Elysèes! The boy would deserve it so much!

    RispondiElimina
  21. Here in Italy "Gazzetta dello Sport" (the newspaper that invented the Giro, so not one almost unknown) loves to hate the Schlecks, probably because chances of an interview with them are very slim, so they are playing it safe in the end ;-) If I remember correctly, they have a different attitude towards Cancellara for example.
    Speaking of Cancellara, the difference I see with the brothers is that his fights are blatant, he's not Spartacus for nothing; you don't doubt him and you can't blame him anything.
    On a slightly different tone, my bf sarcastically says Bjarne has fatten up by sheer joy these past Classics, because LT is still lacking "teamness". I was wondering if Bjarne's input used to produce more consistency.

    Poor Bennati! And poor me, reasons to go seeing a Giro stage are fewer and fewer :P

    Francesca

    RispondiElimina
  22. So I wasn't the only one who had that impression from Gazzetta! I feared I had become a bit paranoid in the last months :P
    And yes, Gazza journalists do have a different attitude towards Cancellara. But hey, after all journalists are human beings who have their favourite (and less favourite) riders too. Just, they should try being impartial when they talk about them or when they comment on races. Unfortunately, some of them really seem unable to do it. After LT's presentation, I was very disappointed when I read a comment of a Gazza's journalist about Viganò! That journalist in fact wrote that Davide 'has a very good ability in finding super teams even without getting good results'. How can you say something like that about a young boy like Viganò? I bet that that journalist has no idea of the problems that Davide had to face in the last years, he was so disrespectful!

    I think that LT is probably having some problems with getting the riders to know each other. I mean, Voigt, O'Grady, Cancellara, los Schlecks and Fuglsang (aka the riders who are going to race the Tour) already knew how it's like to work with one another and with Kim Andersen, but there are also riders that still need to find their place inside the team. Moreover, guys like Wegmann or Bennati are already quite experienced, whereas for some guys (and not only for the neo-pros) racing at such a high level is a novelty, so they need to get used to it.
    Btw I have no doubts that Bjarne has had some evil grins while thinking about the Classics Campaign of LT. However, I remember reading that a guy who rode for Riis said that Bjarne had a very particular approach to races as far as 'teamness' is concerned. For example, he used to make the riders scream all together in the team bus before every race, probably to make them enter the 'right atmosphere' for the race (I remember this fact because it pretty shocked me at the time). And this poor rider (was it Lombardi?) said that he hated those things and the training camps so much that he ran away from Bjarne as soon as he could :P

    I think you should go watch a Giro stage, if you get the chance. If you can't go to a mountain stage, try going at the start or at the finish-line of a random stage. It won't be as boring and useless as in T-A, I assure you that! Especially if you go to see the start of a stage, I think you'll enjoy that experience very much.
    After all, at the Giro there isn't just LT, there are also interesting guys like Kreuziger, Menchov, Sastre, Cavendish, Nibali, Farrar, Lovkvist, Hoogerland, Bos...

    RispondiElimina
  23. Thanks for the welcome Fede-Ive read your blog for a while now.
    I agree put lbl behind but it still does not set them in a positive way for TDF. I still think Frank and Andy messed up their race and I think that was why andy was so frustrated. I also think Frank is past his best days and was probably grateful for a 2nd place whereas Andy wanted a 1st in at least one of the trio of races-made worse by the talking up of the team by the PR.

    I honestly think they should sack their PR team and start again as if they are a new team.

    I also think Andy (although I think hes great) has yet to live up to the expectations of him ie this new wonderkid of riding. He's 26 this year and yet to win anything other than Liege of note. Yes TDF 2nd is great but critics say Contador was below form in last years tour and if on form this year will wipe the field out. The male dominated forums argue that Andy is a whiny pretty boy who can't ride tactically and only focuses on the TDF.

    Some have said Andy is back (not sure where he went) to his old self and is happy and smiling again. I don't see this- I just see a guy under increasing pressure to live up to the hype generated by the PR of LP, Nygaard etc who have basically built a team around Andy and added to this massive expectation that he is going to dominate the cycling world. I feel very sorry for him and each event that he doesn't win must escalate this pressure. I really believe that he probably won't even podium at the TDf and it will be other young riders coming through from lesser known teams who will be the ones who feature. I hope Im wrong.
    Jen

    RispondiElimina
  24. I applause everyone's reflected opinions and analyses of the race. Without elaborating too much I think that the race should have been done differently in order to win against Gilbert. It was uninspiring the way the team raced... Jakob Fuglsang looked really good - why not see if he could have done something interesting in a break away. He would have been strong enough to lay pressure on Gilbert and the Lotto-team... Well, I don't know, just a thought.

    Beautiful Freak

    RispondiElimina
  25. @ Jen: I agree with some of the things you said, but I think you're a bit too pessimistic about others :)
    For example, I do agree with you about the cause of Andy's post race frustration, but I disagree about Frank. I don't think he's past his best days, but I actually believe that he's in his best years as a rider. He has the right age to win important races, he has the right skills and he also has a great family ready to support him. He just needs better riding skills to take home important results :P
    Actually, I think that Frank even has high chances of ending up on a GT's podiums one day, since he's a very good climber and he seems to have improved also in the TTs.

    As far as the PR issue is concerned, I think that the guys actually should be given a second chance. They have good advertising abilities, no doubts about that, so I think they should 'just' learn to be more modest about the team's strength.
    I've taken a look at the LT line-up for the Giro and, honestly, I'm not amazed by it. Imo the 'strongest team of the world' shouldn't send a team without a GC rider to a race like Giro d'Italia :P

    I agree with you about Andy. I think that his achievements so far have been great, but now people excpect him to win at least a GT. He has the right age, the right skills and, according to the PRS, the right team to do it. If Andy doesn't win this year Tour, I'm afraid the pressure on him could become even bigger. Some people already dislike like him and, if he failed to live up to their expectations, I think they may be even ruder to him (don't worry Andy, we'll be defending you from these rude people! Even if sometimes we criticise you, you are and you will always be our glorious leader ;)!)

    Talking about Contador, I think that it was just Alberto's fault if he didn't peak in the right moment during the last season. Therefore, critics should just shut up and say that Alberto made a mistake in timing his form, whereas Andy Schleck was intelligent enough to peak in the perfect moment of the year.
    Moreover, I don't think Contador would have won last year Tour without Chaingate. But still, what has been has been and we can't do anything about it.

    I don't think that people who post on blogs like mine actually know Andy. Therefore, every time I read something like 'Andy has changed, he's depressed, he doesn't laugh anymore', I always grin skeptically. The only ones who can realise whether Andy has changed or not are his friends and his familiars and I'm sure they'd help him immediately if they noticed there's something wrong with him.
    Of course, it's true that Andy has changed since 2007 (who doesn't change in 4 years time?), but I don't think supporters are able to say whether he's just become more mature as a rider or whether he's changed from the personal point of view. It isn't up to us to say that, imo.

    I actually don't share your pessimistic preview for the TdF podium: the adversaries aren't many and if Andy has a good form in July, I think he'll surely end up on the podium. In addition, right now I don't see any young rider as strong as him.

    RispondiElimina
  26. @ Beautiful Freak: Welcome back in the comment area, dear :)
    I think that we could go on discussing LT's tactics in Liége for a very long time. Imo the team made lots of mistakes (if anyone is wondering, I did see the race on channel 246 of Sky), but now it's useless to keep on pointing them out.
    I don't think that Fuglsang could have helped the brothers that much. Actually, we can't even know whether he tried or not to go on a breakaway and I actually don't think the other teams would have let him break away from the group. Moreover, I think it was necessary to have him in the peloton, ready to pull at the front and to become the new captain if something had happened to the Schlecks.
    Perhaps LT could have sent Lund at the front, rather than someone as 'flashy' as Jakob.

    RispondiElimina