venerdì 29 aprile 2011

Some cycling news plus Royal Wedding Fever (yes, I've come down with it too)

Almost one week after my last post, here I am writing a few things about cycling and about (guess what?) the Royal Wedding. Oh yes. You thought you could break free from the 'event of the year' by ending up on this blog, didn't you? Well, sorry to disappoint you, but I've come down with 'the Royal Wedding Fever' too. If you feel you can't stand another long comment of someone about the 'marriage of the century', go to the second part of my post: I won't be offended by your decision.
Actually, in the last months I did try to ignore the royal marriage as long as I could. After all, I don't know Kate and William, so I thought that I shouldn't have cared so much about their wedding. 'Just leave them a bit of privacy, poor things!', I thought every time I heard news about their marriage.
Just this morning I abandoned my indifferent attitude and I started feeling pretty excited about the wedding. So excited (and curious) that, as soon as I came home, I abandoned my dignity in the garden, entered the house and immediately asked: 'What was Kate wearing this morning?!?' to the first person I saw (who was my dad, aka the only creature in the house who hadn't watched the wedding). Ok, perhaps I've exaggerated this part. Actually, I must confess that the first thing I asked as soon as I entered the house was: 'How many seconds of advantage does Sorensen have on the peloton?'. Then, I asked about the wedding :P

In the last days I've tried to give a reason for all the big interest around weddings and , in particular, I've thought a bit about why women love marriages so much.
In my opinion, there are at least three elements that make most of us women go crazy about weddings. First of all, there's a 'historical' reason, if we can call it this way. In fact, girls start hearing stories like 'Snow White' and 'Cinerella' when they're 3/4 year old and they don't forget about them until they eventually come down with Alzheimer. These fairy tales enter our girly genes as soon as we start understanding things, just like they entered our mothers and our grandmothers' genes in the past. And how do these fairy tales always end? Well, simple: there's a commoner who marries a gorgeous prince and has an amazing wedding. An amazing wedding with 4 WHITE horses pulling a carriage, the prince wearing his best uniform, the bride wearing the most beautiful dress ever and the church bells ringing happily as soon as the married couple leaves the church. Now, compare this typical 'happy ending' of a fable to the story (and the marriage) of Kate Middleton: there isn't any difference,is there? (No, the fact that William is becoming bald can't be considered a difference). Imo, that's what we girls love so much about important weddings: every time, it's like watching a fairy tale that comes true.
Another important 'marriage love' factor, imo, is that there's a truly important wedding just once (or twice) every 30 year. Watching it (even if on your own little telly) makes you feel like you're part of the history of the world, it makes you able to say 'I was there!' when people in the future will talk about the wedding of William of England and his wife. After all, who doesn't love being part of the world history?
As we girls grow up, actually, another 'wedding love' factor makes its appearance on the stage: the love for dresses. And where can you see more dresses than at a wedding? And where can you see more dresses than at a royal wedding?
I think it's because of these three reasons that many people (especially women) couldn't help watching the wedding this morning (or catching up with it this afternoon). Apropos, thank you BBC News for the super long coverage!!!

Anyway, I realise I'm digressing. Talking about the Royal Wedding, I must say that I really liked it. Kate looked very nice and natural and with William she forms a very nice couple. Talking about the Prince, my mother's best comment about the ceremony was: 'Poor guy! And to say he had so much hair when he was a kid!' Btw fear not, William: you can ask Berlusconi what treatment he used to make his hair reappear on his head again. If it succeeded with him, it will surely succeed also with you.
Talking about fashion, I really liked the dresses worn by Kate (of course), by her sister, her mother and by Victoria Beckham. As far as the Queen is concerned, my sister said 'she looks like a banana'. I actually found her very sweet, in her yellow dress, looking like a normal granny who goes to her nephew's wedding. Actually, this morning the most discussed issue at school was: how does William address to her grandmother? I mean, does she call her 'Dear Grandmother'? Or does he refer to her as to 'Her Majesty'? Or do Harry and Will simply call her 'Betty the Granny'? (It's a fascinating topic of discussion, isn't it?)
Still talking about today's topics of discussion at school, one of the most 'successful' ones was the following: 'which prince am I going to marry?' Here you have some pictures of the Princes that haven't got married yet. Most of my friends went for Harry, but I'm afraid that they're not the only ones who had this idea today, while watching the marriage...
Talking about the nobles who took part in the ceremony, it was nice to see the faces of some people whose existence I had ignored until this morning. I was really curious to see the Grand Duke of Luxembourg (of course) and I was shocked when I saw the dresses of two of the members of the Royal Family (the Duchesses of York, perhaps?). However, I was very relieved that no one from Italian government attended the ceremony. Otherwise, we would have distinguished ourselves in a negative way even today. Moreover, I was very happy to see that no one from Casa Savoia went at the wedding either. I wouldn't have beared it if Emanuele Filiberto had started singing and dancing at the post-ceremony party. In fact, whereas Holland has a guy like Boogerd taking part in 'Dancing with the Stars', the Italian edition of the programme has had the Prince Emanuele Filiberto amongst its most famours performers. Thanks God Italy's no longer a monarchy.


CYCLING NEWS:
After expressing my few trivial thoughts about THE wedding, let's finally talk about cycling. Today was a joyful day for the whole AAVL, who could cheer for Vinokourov's victory in Neuchatel stage of Tour de Romandie. Vino followed Toni Martin (who had attacked with 2 kms to go) together with Cherel and he eventually won the eventual 3 men sprint. Cherel complained about Vino's way of sprinting, but imo the Kazakhistan rode in a correct way. The Frenchman tried to pass where there was no space, it's not Vino's fault if he made that mistake!
Still talking about Tour de Romandie, yesterday stage was won by Damiano Cunego and everyone was very happy about it (at least here in Italy). Moreover, CA Sorensen tried to escape from the peloton yesterday and he tried again this afternoon. Today he's even remained alone at the front o the race for some time, before being eventually caught with just 10 kms to go. Chris looks very good in these days and this makes me ask why he's not taking part in the Giro (and the same goes for Vinokourov and Cunego).
A rider who certainly won't take part in the Corsa Rosa is poor Daniele Bennati, who crashed two days ago in Romandie and broke his right collarbone and 4 ribs. I wish him a fast recovery and I hope he'll be able to race problems-free in the second part of the season.
Also Kiserlovski has had some physical problems lately. The Croatian rider in fact has just discovered that he has a cracked vertebrae, which is a consequence of his Paris-Nice crash (the one in which he ended up under a truck parked at the side of the road). Hopefully he'll be able to take part in the Giro, since I have high expectations on him.
Talking about another race that is going on right now, Tour of Turkey is a goldmine for sprinters. In fact, every stage of the race so far has been won by a sprinter. Today it was the turn of Andre Greipel, whereas Saxo Banker Jaroslaw Marycz, who attacked in the last km of race, couldn't get to the top 3. However, chapeau for trying.
So, these are some of the cycling news of the last days. As you can see, it isn't much. In the next days I'll probably post something about the Giro, so stay tuned!

12 commenti:

  1. I must admit I loved the wedding. We sat and watched it here in Oz and even though we want to be a republic I think we all love the pomp and pagentry of a british royal wedding. I thought Kate looked divine-elegant but still a standout-very much like Grace Kelly's dress. Her 2nd dress was beautiful to. Pippa looked beautiful and the men in our room suddenly got interested in the wedding when she appeared.

    I think Wills probably calls granny liz- hrh or your majesty coz the brit royals are like that. Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie had the over the top hats/blue peacocky outfits on=quite horrid.

    Eligible princes- definately not Harry.I like Princess Carolines oldest son- Andreas? Posh looked okay but I wish she would stop looking so miserable all the time.Really when you have David Beckham as your hubby i would be smilimg a bit more-as long as he didn't speak.

    Anyhow loved everything about the wedding and hope they have a happy marriage.

    jen

    RispondiElimina
  2. Well, here I go again, a comment not about cycling… sorry!

    Fede, I don’t think your observations about the wedding were trivial at all. I agree with you that girls especially are inculcated from a very young age to find fairy tales appealing. Fairy tales are part of that same tradition of oral storytelling, like the Iliad before it was written down. The folk-tales compiled by the Brothers Grimm especially, had a lot to do with preserving / documenting local stories, because of a revived interest in German culture. If you can find a compilation of unedited Grimm’s tales, you’ll find that the brothers edited out a lot of the grisly endings—the two evil step-sisters get their eyes pecked out by doves in the unabridged version!

    Personally, I just enjoy the spectacle of a wedding. The carriages, the horses, the amazing abbey. Also, as someone who took European history this year (I finished my exams on Thursday, yay!), it just appeals to me as a kind of continuation of what I’ve been learning about. It amazes me to think that William can be ancestrally linked to the Tudors, Stuarts, the Hanoverian line etc.

    Also, marriages are symbolic of that wholeness we’re all looking for, aren't they? We’d like to be happy, and content, and we’re desirous to find that other half of ourselves that Aristophanes / Plato were talking about, “Human nature was originally one and we were a whole, and the desire and pursuit of the whole is called love.” Perhaps that’s very impractical, silly, and romantic, but I feel like the word practical shouldn’t even apply in matters like these (this, from someone who is probably going to die a spinster, surrounded by dogs).

    Also, a comment on your last post about Liege-Bastogne-Liege. I wish the press would lay off Andy a little, and that Leopard Trek’s PR team would be more modest—I agree with Brenda, showing-off your team, and declaring them the best thing in cycling since the invention of the wheel, before the racing season even begins, is going to tick people off. It also gives your opponents extra motivation to try and kick your ass. My apologies for the language.

    Yes, Andy has the capability to do very well, but if one looks at his palmares thus far, and his UCI ranking, I think it’s unfair to expect him to win, or even reach the podium of every race he enters. I think half the problem is that he peaks at the Tour de France—arguably the sport’s most high profile race, even people who don’t usually watch cycling, know about the Tour—so it creates this somewhat distorted impression that he’s the kind of rider that can achieve the same result at every race. Again, I’m a novice to cycling, so I can’t comment on technicalities, or tactics, I just find that more than any other sport, cycling is very particular. There are all around riders, climbing specialists, sprinters, and some people who just push themselves to the very limit, until they burst, like the wonderful Jens Voigt.

    I’m looking forward to watching the Giro… on the internet :P

    Jen: Ha ha, on the, "As long as he doesn't speak comment". My mum thought the exact same thing when she first heard David Beckham. I loved the Grace Kelly-inspired dress too...

    RispondiElimina
  3. I spent weeks making fun of the wedding and yet I ended up watching it ALL day! It was wonderful and beautiful and now I regret not watching back when our crown prince got married :P
    I do like Harry, he's so sweet and he has great hair - although he's getting a bit bald too (OK, I'm not that shallow xD)
    About what Harry and Will call the queen, I think Jen is right, they're probably pretty stuck up about it. But it has made me wonder what the Danish queen is called by her grandchildren. I know that her sons call her "Maman" (weird mix between Danish and French) so she's probably not that fussed about the titles in private?
    Anyway, I thought the Lizzie looked nice and sunny and sweet in her yellow dress (and only slightly banana-ish :P)

    I'm ashamed to say that I was ever so slightly offended when I found out that the crown prince and the crown princess of Denmark wasn't even invited (!) to the wedding. The Danish queen was there all by herself and she wasn't even interesting enough to show on TV xD

    To add something remotely cycling-related: one of the Danish journos who commentated on the wedding kept comparing it with the Tour de France. And when he didn't do that, he talked about David Beckham and football :P

    Oh, and happy to see Chris in action :D

    RispondiElimina
  4. Fede,

    I have to admit I had very little interest in watching the wedding. Being in Canada, it was broadcast live between 4am and 10am. My husband, for some strange reason, was determined to watch it. He recorded it and insisted we watch it after we got home from work.

    For the most part I found it boring, but I agree Kate's dress was lovely, simple and classic, and it suited her to perfection. It seems all the men in the Royal family start going bald at a young age. As my husband said, poor William, he used to be so handsome.

    I too am looking forward to the Giro. Figbash, if I remember correctly you said you were from Canada. If you have access to Shaw Direct or Bell Exressvu satelite, you can see the Giro on RAI (an Italian channel). They show 2 hours daily and although the commentary is in Italian, it is still great to be able to watch it on television.

    Brenda

    Brenda

    RispondiElimina
  5. Brenda, thank you so much for the info! Actually there is an Italian channel on Rogers cable called TLN, but it seems to mostly consist of melodramas, beauty pageants, and programmes of an x-rated nature. Yikes.

    I didn't know there was an RAI International channel. It's not free (as in everything with Rogers cable), but I can always drop it after the Giro. :P

    Thanks again!

    RispondiElimina
  6. @ Jen: Although I had tried to ignore the wedding as long as I could, yesterday I spent the whole day watching it and I found it absolutely lovely!
    After all, it was the first royal wedding that was broadcasted live on Italian tv since 1981, so I was very curious about it. And then, as @ Figbash said, it was great to watch the wedding in a church as great as Westminster (where many important people are buried) and think that William is the heir of the first English king :P

    Kate's dresses were amazing, although the wedding one looked a lot to Grace Kelly's one. Some said that it wasn't a very original choice, but I didn't care about originality. I couldn't watch Grace Kelly's wedding, so the dress was new to me anyway. And then, Kate simply looked gorgeous in it.
    Pippa looked amazing too, I loved her second dress! Camilla's second dress, on the other hand, looked like a long pijama :P

    Liz, what a cute nickname! My friends and I have actually started calling the Queen 'Betty the Granny', since we can imagine Harry calling her in that way without problems ;)

    Imo, Beatrice and Eugenie were a mixture between the horrible step-sisters of Cinderella and the noble version of Lady Gaga.
    The beige dress actually wasn't that bad, but the hat was ridicolous. On the other hand, I didn't like the blue dress at all.

    Andrea is the hottest eligible prince also in my opinion. Btw, don't William and Harry have any hot cousin available for me? Really, I don't need a prince, I'd be satisfied even with a Duke or an Earl or something similar ;)

    I have the feeling that Kate and William will have a happy marriage. They look so cute together and they really seem to love each other! I wish them all of the best :D

    Victoria looked great imo (did you see her shoes?!?) and I was shocked when I discovered she's 6 months pregnant! But still, you're right in saying that she should smile much more often.

    @ Figbash: Figbash, you don't have to excuse for writing comments not regarding cycling! After all, mine is a random blog, isn't it?

    Do the step-sisters really end up in such a bad way in the original story? Wow, I didn't know about that (just like I didn't know about the sad ending of Andersen's 'Little Mermaid' until a few weeks ago :P)!
    I've recently studied the Grimm brothers and the work they did, which was just amazing. Actually, I think that girls who were born in the tv era owe a lot to Walt Disney as far as their love for fairy tales is concerned. And, obviously, Walt Disney owes a lot to the Grimm brothers.

    I completely agree with you about the 'wholeness' concept. Everyone starts looking for their soul mate when they're 3 and they never cease as long as they're alive. Wedding has always been incredibly important in our world: just think about the fact that most of the women consider ending up as a spinster as the worst thing that could ever happen to them!

    Don't apologise for the language. 'Kick someone's ass' is one of my most used expressions, although it is actually a bit rude :P
    I completely agree with you about LT.

    Cycling is a very complicated sport, especially at the beginning :) Btw I do think that Andy can win most of the races on the Calendar, especially because in the past he's already showed he can win them. For example, he's already won Liége and Fleche, he was second in the Tour and in the Giro and he was 4th in Lombardy. Imo he can win all these races, if he's in a good shape. As far as races like Flanders and Roubaix are concerned, I'd love to see him racing in De Ronde, but I'd be too worried if he took part in Roubaix ;)

    RispondiElimina
  7. @ Susanne: I've spent weeks making fun of the wedding too and, actually, I haven't stopped yet :P But still, yesterday I watched it all day long and this afternoon I was disappointed when I didn't see it in the main news on tv (right now most of the Italian tv programmes are about the Pope Johann Paul II).

    Harry looks a bit like a bear, imo. And I'm not that keen on red-haired guys, so he isn't actually my kind of guy. But still, he isn't that bad looking ;)

    Lizzie's dress had a very strange colour, but I think she looked like a normal granny at her nephew's wedding :)
    Actually, I've read on a newspaper that her high heels were 6 cms tall, does anyone know if it's true? 6 cms are a lot for a 85 year-old woman! :O

    That's why I didn't see anyone from the Danish Monarchy at the wedding! Oh gosh, how could the English Royals not invite them? I mean, they invited people from Brunei and they forgot about Denmark! I can understand why you're slightly offended by that!

    Well, the only similarity that I could see between the wedding and the Tour was the dominant colour: YELLOW!

    @ Brenda: So there is someone who found the wedding boring! My father actually didn't care at all about it, this afternoon he told me that he has 'no idea of what Prince William looks like' and he even asked what clothes the Queen Margaret was wearing at the wedding :P I was shocked by his behaviour!

    I don't think I'll be able to stand the sight of Harry the Red becoming bald D:

    Your husband is right, William was very handsome as a kid. Too bad that he's now having that little problem with his hair :P

    RispondiElimina
  8. Andrea Casiraghi isn't too bad looking is he? I once read that he liked to collect Swatch watches, which I thought sounded like an endearingly eccentric--and expensive!--hobby. Then again, these are people for whom money is probably not a concern. Is it okay to admit that I sometimes entertain the wish to become a duchess? :P

    Yes, the evil step-sisters get their eyes taken out by birds in the original version of Cinderella. The Pied Piper of Hamelyn leads the children to their deaths, by drowning them all, and in the Charles Perrault version of Little Red Riding Hood, she gets eaten by the wolf!

    I just found out that there was a small race, the Queen's Park Grand Prix, held in Toronto last year, right on the University of Toronto campus. I apparently missed the chance to see Ryder Hesjedal! I was so mad at myself when I learned this, Queen's Park is right in the centre of where I go to school.

    Speaking of Ryder Hesjedal, and since we're on the subject of marriage, has anyone read this lovely story about how Ryder met his fiance?

    See: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/other/article_89f905c4-5c43-5e01-b671-8011bf7f358d.html

    I would consider attending the UCI ProTours in Quebec in September, except that Canada is so ENORMOUS, that even though it's only one province away, it would take an eternity to get there by car. Consider that the whole of Italy, which is roughly 301,000 square km, and then Ontario, which is 1,076,000 square km.

    RispondiElimina
  9. We're talking about the Royal Wedding, yay!! When it comes to weddings, I'm such a girly girl too ;) I loved Kate's dress - just perfect.. I did find it a very strict wedding, but the Brits have this loooong tradition and I guess the couple respected that.

    In my opinion though, another director should've directed the broadcast, because this one missed so many important shots!! Rudolf Spoor for example who directed Prince Willem-Alexander and Princess Maxima's wedding, the Royals of my country, The Netherlands :-) That was an amazing wedding, in 2002! I also loved Princess Victoria and Daniel's wedding (from Sweden)..

    RispondiElimina
  10. Anyway, I'm drifting off.. I couldn't see the wedding live, but after class I went to the train station and surprise, surprise, there was a big screen (already put up for Queen's Day) on which they showed the Wedding!! So I saw them leave the church :-) Then later on that day I watched all the re-caps ;) The most fun part of it all in my opinion was when they - unexpectedly - showed up after the reception in a car with balloons behind it - so cool!! "Ju5t Wed" haha! :-)

    Yeah it's a pity that William is getting bold :( Harry - he rocks!! Such a cool guy.. and he was even more nervous than his big brother ;) And cute with the kids in the carriage! Okay.. back to cycling now ;) Giro! Can't wait!

    RispondiElimina
  11. Hi guys!

    @figbash
    Finally someone who can write a comment as long as I can *hugs*

    I must admit that I'm a very girly girl when it comes to weddings so I was shamelessly interested in (and excited about!) the royal wedding. :-) I can see where your digression about wedding is coming from and I agree completely.

    Willy was indeed very handsome when he was younger, though I don't dislike him sans the hair either. He's still got a charming air about him xD

    I loved Kate's first wedding dress, and Pippa's second one (the green one). Oh, I loved Posh too, but then again, I 'd love her in a garbage bag.. The queen did look a bit like a banana, but a really cute one :-) She really wore 6 cm heels? Wow... I'm impressed, (even if 6 cm is still much smaller than the 6 in I first imagined lol) but still, the lady's 85 years old. And while we're at it, I can't believe that Posh didn't either fall off of those shoes, or stab someone's eye out with her hat (I still love the hat, but that's not to say it doesn't look dangerous).

    Lol at the very thought of 'Betty the granny'. I agree though, we could go on and on about what they call her xD

    Oh, we get an imaginary husband in every area of interest known to man? Yay! I take Pierre Casiraghi though ;-)

    Btw, what in the world has the royal wedding got to do with Le Tour? lol

    RispondiElimina
  12. @ Figbash: Andrea is good-looking indeed! Too bad that he already has a girlfriend :(
    He likes collecting Swatch? I love those watches! I bought some a few years ago and I really liked their funny designs!

    I wish I became a duchess too, at times. After all, who wouldn't? Unlimited money, lot of free time, unlimited shopping... Wow!

    Little red cap gets eaten by the wolf? Oh my, that's shocking!!!

    That story about Hesjedal is so romantic! He is really in love with that girl and he was so lucky to meet her on so many different occasions! I would have fallen for him too, if he had courted me in a way like that (he's also pretty good-looking)!

    Hopefully you'll get the chance to see one of the Canadian races this year.

    Canada is so big, reading its geographical dates really impressed me! I mean, I have problems getting to Milan which is 50 kms far from my house, what if I lived in Canada?

    @ Marleen: Unfortunately in Italy they usually don't broadcast royal weddings, so I couldn't compare the broadcast of William and Kate's marriage to any other one. Moreover, I didn't watch the wedding live but, like you, I watched the highlights in the afternoon :)
    However, here in Italy we have a long tradition as far as the Pope is concerned: when there was the funeral of Pope Johan Paul II, my whole class had to watch it in the Church (there was a mega-screen there) and yesterday every channel was broadcasting the Beatification.
    Useless to say that I find weddings much more exciting :P

    They were so cute when they got into that car! I really didn't expect it! And the car was Prince Charles' one, William had to ask him whether he could borrow it, that's so cool! And the balloons were lovely :)

    Harry looked so nice with the kids in the carriage! Actually, I think he looks a bit like a bear. It was funny to see him talking with William (who couldn't turn his head) when Kate entered the Abbey!!

    @ Cristin: I think we all get girly-girls when weddings are concerned ;)

    William's got the 'prince charme', you can't deny it! And he's still good-looking, especially when he wears a hat :P

    Pippa looked great in her second dress! People already say that there was a certain feeling between her and Harry, although she's already got a boyfriend ;)

    Posh' shoes were impressive! I would have broken my ankle after three seconds if I walked on them. Btw she looked really nice, although someone criticised her because she was wearing dark clothes.

    Betty the Granny is such a lively woman! My mum has decided she wants a dress like the Queen's one when/if I get married. Well, she has at least 15 years of time to change her mind ;)

    Let's pick another imaginary husband then! I go for Andrea Casiraghi. Or for an English duke of 20 (possibly not bald), if there is one ;)

    RispondiElimina