Ok, my podium prediction was completely wrong. Also my race prediction ('it will end up in a bunch sprint') was completely wrong. Oh dear, what happened to my prediction abilities?Anyway. Yesterday Milan-Sanremo was even more thrilling than usual, thanks to some big crashes and to some great attacks. La Classicissima is one of my favourite races because of many reasons. Firstly, it's the first one-day classic of the year. Secondly, it marks the official beginning of the true season (next week there is Gend-Wevelgem, yay!). Thirdly, it's a 298 kms long race, but a rider can make the winning move even in the last meter of it (ask mr. Freire for further information). Moreover, la Classicissima has the Poggio and the Cipressa descents, two of the craziest downhills roads that the peloton must face every year. Last but not least, Milan-Sanremo = Primavera (Spring), just like Lombardia = Classica delle foglie morte ('Classic of the falling leaves', aka of the autumn).
Yesterday race began under the sign of Japan. Farnese-Vini's rider, Takashi Miyazawa, was very moved at the start of the Classicissima, when the riders had a moment of silence in order to think about the Japanese tragedy. In order to help his country, Takashi asked his colleagues for help and in fact every rider will sell the jersey that he wore yesterday. Moreover, a big Japanese flag was signed by the 198 riders that took part in the race and it will be sold as well in the next days.
Takashi was one of the early protagonists of the race, since he formed a breakaway after just 12 kms of race. When he got caught, he helped his teammate Visconti and he was one of the 156 riders who ended the race. Chapeau to him!
Yesterday race had its first coup de scene after 208 kms of race, at the start of le Mànie climb. Right before of it, Hushovd crashed together with other riders. On the climb descent, instead, it was Freire's turn to tumble. After these falls, the peloton was broken in two parts. In the first one there were guys like Cancellara, Bennati, Gerdemann, O'Grady, Gilbert, Greipel, Van Avermaet, Ballan, Pozzato, Paolini, Petacchi (only Lampre rider there), Boonen, Offredo, Chainel, Boasson Hagen, Nibali, Sagan, Ventoso, Marcato, Rojas, Rollin, Klier and Haussler. In the second group, instead, there were riders like Hushovd, Farrar, the whole Lampre team apart from Petacchi, Visconti, Cavendish, Renshaw, Bozic, Matthews (who had crashed earlier in the race), Freire, Cooke, Haedo and Arvesen.
BMC, Omega Pharma-Lotto and Katusha immediately started to pull hard at the front of the race, whereas the second group of riders couldn't get organised in a fast way. Amongst the most active teams in the chase there were Farnese-Vini and Euskaltel Euskadi (why?), whereas Columbia never chased in a decided way.
At the beginning of la Cipressa, the first group had about 1.50 minute advantage on the second one. Then, Scarponi attacked and he came back in the first group in a great way. That move made us understand that Petacchi wasn't at his best, while Michele right now has a great condition. Scarponi managed not to be followed by anyone in his chase and that was really a great numero.
In the meanwhile, the race got even more thrilling. Offredo and Ballan attacked, but the first one to arrive on the top of la Cipressa was Popovych. However, he was soon caught and Française des Jeux launched a great attack with Offredo and Chainel, who were soon joined by Van Avermaet and O'Grady. It was a very interesting move, since Van Avermaet and O'Grady are very fast, Chainel seemed in a great form and Offredo, in spite of the young age, is never afraid of attacking riders that are more famous than him. Moreover, Yoann seems to love Sanremo, since he attacked in the finale also a few years ago.
Greipel sacrificed himself for Gilbert during the quartet chase and in the end the 4 breakawayers were caught on the Poggio. Nibali attacked and during the descent he was joined by Cancellara, Gilbert, Ballan, Offredo, Pozzato, Goss and Scarponi.
In the last few kms, Cancellara tried to attack, but he was immediately chased by Goss. Therefore, he immediately interrupted his effort. The second one to attack was Gilbert, who was followed by-guess who?- Pozzato. In the end, the race was decided in a sprint. The one who launched it was Scarponi, but in the end the winner was Matthew Goss, the only sprinter that managed to stay glued to the wheel of the attackers. Second (for a few centimeters) was Cancellara, while 3rd was Gilbert.
I must say that I enjoyed this edition of la Classicissima, although I was sorry for the riders who crashed. Chronists kept on saying that it was the most exciting Sanremo of the last few years and that caused my father (who supported Matthews and Freire) to get very angry. 'If you consider exciting a race that is decided by crashes, well, this year Sanremo was the perfect race for you. On the other hand, if you like races where the strongest, and not the luckiest, wins, then you might have found it disappointing', he said at the end of it.
Luckily for me, although he wasn't in a very happy mood, watching the race with my father was very nice. For example, he was the one who said the quote of the day. During the podium ceremony, in fact, he looked at me and he said: 'Hey, but what colour are Cancellara's hair?'. I looked at him in a pretty surprised way before answering: 'Dark brown, I guess... Why did you ask me? Are you not feeling fine?'. His answer to my questions (be careful not to fall off your chair) was : 'Dark brown? Really? Are you sure? They actually look violet to me...' . I was almost falling off the couch when he told me that. After all, it had been a long (and disappointing) Sanremo also for him...
Talking about tiredness, also Rai's Alessandra De Stefano was exhausted at the end of the race. So exhausted that she said 'That's all from the Lungotevere of Sanremo, good evening everyone!' instead of 'That's all from the Lungomare of Sanremo!'. In fact, Lungotevere is a word that Italians use to indicate places in Rome that are near to the rider Tevere, while 'lungomare' is a word that is used to indicate the long roads near to the sea that you can find in many Italian villages. However, Alessandra was able to correct herself when she saw that her colleagues were grinning at her.
Back to the riders, however, I must say that I'm happy for Goss. I bet that, in the finale, he probably thought: 'The two most dangerous riders right now are Gilbert and Cancellara. Considering that Pozzato will surely follow Gilbert wherever he can, it's better if I glue myself to Cancellara's wheel!' . He did so (he was the only one who followed Fabian when he attacked, the other ones remained behind them) and in the end he got a stunning victory.
Also Cancellara was very good. He stopped his attack when he saw that Goss had followed him (why continuing the attack with Goss glued to your wheel when you know that he is going to beat you in a possible two-men sprint?) and in the end he came 2nd and he managed to outsprint a fast guy like Gilbert.
Also Stuart O'Grady was really good. I was actually happy to see Leopard behaving as a team. Fabian, Stuart, Bennati and Gerdemann were in the first group of riders and I was very glad about it.
Gilbert was 3rd and I'm sure he was pretty disappointed by that. However, he didn't look very brilliant on the Poggio, so I think he should be quite happy for his result.
Pozzato, as usual, seemed to race not in order to win, but in order to make other riders lose. In fact, he was the one who followed Gilbert and helped the other ones to catch him in the final 2 kms of the race. Philippe got pretty angry at that, especially because Pippo has been shadowing him since the Worlds in Australia. However, now that Philippe is not going to take part in Roubaix, Pippo will probably start to shadow another Belgian, Tom Boonen. Therefore, Tommeke, you'd better get ready for that.
On to another rider, I think that Scarponi raced very well. Petacchi didn't feel fine and Michele gave Lampre a good placement anyway. Moreover, he was the one who started the sprint: he knew he isn't very fast, but he gave it a try anyway.
Chainel and Offredo were really strong too. Pay attention to Yoann: this boy's got a lot of talent. It isn't easy to do certain things after 290 kms of race!
Haussler was disappointing, but it wasn't easy to follow guys like Gilbert and Nibali when they attacked. Saxo Bank was considered 'disappointing' too, but their leader was JJ Haedo and he had problems because of Hushovd's crashes. Therefore, Tosatto (the only one who remained in the first group of riders after le Manie) couldn't do much.
Greipel gave a big hand to Gilbert, perhaps because he wasn't in good form. Sagan disappeared in the finale, probably because 290 kms are too many for him. Petacchi instead was 12th although he didn't feel fine, while Bennati was 13th. Poor Marcato, who crashed on the Poggio, was 15th.
Boasson Hagen was 30th, but he doesn't seem in a good form right now. Therefore, no surprises from him. Rabobank was disappointing, but we must consider that its team leaders, Matthews and Freire, crashed, while Langeveld, Tjallingi and Boom had to work hard to help them.
Visconti was extremely disappointed by the race (it looked as if he was going to break into tears when he was interviewed by the Italian tv!) but he was very unlucky. Now Giovanni will have plenty of time to prepare the next races, where I'm sure that he'll get very good results.
So, that's all for now. Have a good Sunday and enjoy the sun (at least, here in Italy it is sunny, I don't know what the weather is like in the rest of the world...)! And don't forget to take a look at Bananas about Bikes: Mar has published a great post about la Vuelta in Assen!!
(Pic by Bettini)

I'm so happy you recapped it, I could hug you if you were closer.
RispondiEliminaI was really, really eager to watch, tracked down the schedule of Eurosport, got my snacks ready and then the stupid Eurosport decided to show something else. I was so royally pissed I couldn't even be bothered to look for an online streaming. Well, until now. Knowing what a race it had been, now I know what I'll be doing tonight.
I'll say more when I actually watch the race :-)
I love that they aren't ignoring Japan. On a side note, you gotta admire the calmness of the Japanese. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the photos of people paying for food or waiting in line to charge their phones.
I'm glad you've written this too :D *hugs*
RispondiEliminaI couldn't watch it because I had to help moving for my grandmother yesterday. Anyway, Danish television decided to ignore it. Apparently football and handball is way more important. I got home in time to watch the sports news at six but again, football, football, handball, more handball, tennis but then the news reader said, "and now on to cycling..." and I lit up happily. However, it was Michael Rasmussen. And his stupid team. Racing in Croatia. Not even winning. I get it, that is more important than Milan-Sanremo.
OK, now that's off my chest :P
@ Cristin: Poor girl, Eurosport can be so mean at times! Luckily RAI showed the race since 2.30 pm and I was so happy that I forgave them for not having broadcasted the Eroica on real time.
RispondiEliminaIt is so annoying when you're ready to have a nice, cyclistic afternoon and you discover that they're not broadcasting what you wanted to see! I could kill someone in those moments. Hopefully the snacks cheered you up a bit anyway ;)
I agree with you about Japan. It's nice that cyclists are not ignoring it. Japan is a very strong country, it's strange to see it having problems...
I was susprised by the calmness of the Japanese people very. We Italians can't wait in line while we wait for our coffees at the bar, I can't imagine what we could do in a situation like that :(
Also in the videos from the earthquake you never see people panicking. Ok, they do look worried, but no one seemed to have panic attacks. Now I just hope the Japanese will solve the situation soon, although it doesn't seem easy. They're such kind and polite people, they don't deserve this!!
Talking about the news coming from the non-cyclistic world, right now I'm very worried about Lybia. Berlusconi used to blow his own trumpet because he was Gheddafi's biggest friend, but now he has sent Italian airplanes to attack Lybia and Gheddafi isn't very happy about that... :S
@ Susanne: What's up with Danish television?!? First, they show the commercial of Riis' book. Then, they don't broadcast Sanremo. Are they shocked by the fact that Matti Breschel didn't take part in it? If so, tell them that there are other Danish riders that deserve attention!!
'It was Michael Rasmussen. And his stupid team. Racing in Croatia. Not even winning'. LOL!!! I could have smashed the tv if I had been you! I almost lost my temper when they interrupted the race broadcast because they had to announce the French decision of attacking Lybia, I can't imagine what I could have done if I had been in your/Cristin's shoes on Saturday!
It's sunny here too, in fact, it's going to be sunny all week.. so lovely! :) Spring is here, including all those exciting spring classics ;)
RispondiEliminaI loved watching Milano-Sanremo - very exciting race, even though the Rabo's weren't lucky at all. Gossy won, which made me smile. I was cheering for Philippe in the end, but Matt is also a great winner :) Scarponi, he was really good, amazing actually.
@ Cristin and Susanne: pity you couldn't watch it, but luckily there are re-caps! ;) You know what, there should be an international cycling channel that broadcasts 24/7 and that everyone can receive! ;)
Yeah, the Japanese are such strong people. It's very touching how the Japanese cyclists are trying to raise awareness for what happened to their country.. lots of strength to them all!
PS: Fabian with violet hair - fathers can always say the most amazing things! :D
This morning I went out at 7 am and the sun was already there! How lovely!!!! :)
RispondiEliminaRabobankers were terribly unlucky, my dad was so sorry for them! Apropos, I've discovered that he really likes Michael Matthews. When Freire crashed, I told him: 'Don't worry, Rabobank has Michael Matthews, he's unknown but very strong'. Dad's reply was: 'I know who Matthews is. He's won this and that and that other race too. Btw, he's already crashed as well'. I was shocked by his knowledge of Matthews' results (and by the fact that Michael had crashed too)!
Luckily for dad, Scarponi did well (he really likes Michele, he's his favourite GT rider).
The violet hair thing was hilarious, especially because I didn't know whether to start laughing or to bring my dad to the optician after he said that... XD
In your dad's defence, Fabian's hair might have been so filled with all kinds of hair products that it seemed violet in the sun :P
RispondiEliminaI really don't know what's up with Danish TV. The downside of following a minority sport, I suppose. Luckily, they've stopped showing the Bjarne Riis-commercial :P
I hate when race broadcasts are interrupted! And then I feel bad when it's something really serious like what's going on in Libya or Japan. But I almost smashed the TV the second day of Paris-Nice because a minister had decided to become fired and another had decided to quit that day - and that was a reason to air extra news! They did broadcast it in the end, though, but not before I started panicking :P
My dad's cycling knowledge amazes me every other day. He says he hates cycling and yet he knows more than I do sometimes!
I dn't think that Fabian's violet hair are due to the abuse of hair products. Otherwise, what colour would Pozzato's hair be?
RispondiEliminaLuckily cycling is one of the most broadcasted sport here in Italy, otherwise I don't know what I would do. At least, good to know that Danish tv has stopped showing Bjarne's commercial. Now Denmark is a safer place for everyone ;)
I hate extra news, they bring back terrible memories from the 11th September 2001. I was 9 and I was watching cartoons that day, when they showed the extra news. I immediately changed channel (I wanted my cartoons back!), but then I saw the images also on that channel. I thought it was a stupid film and switched off the tv :P
Our dads should probably meet ;) Just add 'Why are they racing in the rain?' to 'Are Cancellara's hair violet?' and think about what a hilarious couple they'd form!
hey Fede, just letting you know that the URL for my new blog is theornithologist.tumblr.com. Your link is still going to spokes and racquets, which doesn't exist anymore :)
RispondiEliminaSo glad that Gossy won MSR!!! Yay Aussie!!! :D
I've changed the link to your blog, it should work now :)
RispondiEliminaGazzetta is dedicating a lot of pages to the 'Aussie invasion' of Cycledom in these days ;) Actually, I couldn't believe it when I read the Evans was the first Australian to wear the Pink jersey of the Giro in 2002. I mean, I've always been so used to watching Aussies racing and winning that I can't imagine how cycling before their invasion was!
I'm so late with commenting, but here I am :P
RispondiEliminaDanish tv doesn't broadcast cycling?? They prefer football?? I thought Denmark was a cycling country, because of Saxobank and free bikes in CPH. And the Danish national football teams sucks! (Hehe, I can say that, NL beat them at the World Cup) So. Let's tell the Danish tv they should broadcast cycling.
Rabobank was very unlucky indeed. I saw this vid from NOS (Dutch tv) from the car and the hotel and it really was just bad luck.
Add another dad to your "weird dads" meeting. Mine could name all the climbs in M-S but he called the top three 'all sprinters'.
Maybe Fabians wife has done something to his hair to give it a violet glow?
Actually, Danish TV is not that bad. Cycling is probably the third or fourth most popular sport in Denmark - all thanks to Bjarne Riis! Every summer Denmark goes into a sort of Tour-frenzy and everyone rides around in their CSC-outfits (yeah, don't know why xD) two sizes too small. But handball and football top it all, apparently. If some important match is on, the whole world stops.
RispondiEliminaAnd yes, Mar, the Danish national football team sucks. All Danish football teams suck :P
@ Mar: It looks like those dads have daughters who like complaining about them ;) But after all, it wouldn't be the same if we had to watch races without them.
RispondiEliminaMy father for example recalls the times when he was on military duty in Albenga every time he watches Milan-Sanremo. I can actually remember that, many years ago, I wanted to see a Walt Disney's cartoon, but he was watching Sanremo. He told me: 'Don't you want to see the place where daddy was a soldier?' I was very small and my father managed to take me in, I had to wait the whole race before he finally showed me that place and then he didn't even let me watch the cartoon because he had to watch the final sprint!
Other times instead he took me in by telling me that during cycling races they would often show images of wild horses running in the fields (I was very keen on horses at the time-and I still am, actually). As a consequence, I stayed glued to the tv screen, waiting for the wild horses to appear, while my father could quietly finish watching his race. Obviously, the horses didn't appear -.-"
Perhaps Fabian has confused his shampoo with his wife's one - or perhaps Pozzato gave him some of his gel :P
@ Susanne: 'their CSC outfits two sizes too small', LOL!
Funny to see how popular handball is in other countries. Here in Italy it is almost unknown... The most followed sport in Italy is Its Majesty Football, but cycling is one of the top sports anyway (together with F1 and with motorbike races).
When I was younger (before I started caring about the actual cycling) I always looked for those people on their horses who wants to race the cyclists in the Tour! :D I secretly (OK, not so secretly) dream of racing the cyclists - and I still believe my little horse can beat them! (That might be rather naïve :P)
RispondiEliminaIt must be great, riding on a horse while watching the peloton pass... Unfortunately, I don't know if people can recognise a lot of riders in that way! Btw, if the riders are bored, they may even have a look at you, especially if while riding you're wearing something flashy like a leopard-print helmet or things like that ;)
RispondiEliminaYour little horse? You have a horse? Oh, I'm so jealous! They're such lovely creatures! I've always dreamed of having one!
Yeah, I don't think you'd be able to recognise anyone in that way but could still be fun. Especially if the riders were bored! :D And if not you'd at least get on TV.
RispondiEliminaYup, I have a horse. Or, technically it's a pony. She's a crazy, misbehaving reject but I love her to bits. Do you ride or do you just wish you did?
A pony! How cute!!!! :D
RispondiEliminaI usually go riding once a week, although in this period I don't have enough time. I'm waiting for the summer to come, so that school is over and I can finally go riding again! Yay!
Nice ^^ None of my friends like horses at all!
RispondiEliminaI have the same problem, although in my class luckily there are a few girls who enjoy horseriding. One of them even got a pony as a gift for her 8th birthday (I was very jealous when she told me about it)!
RispondiElimina