venerdì 5 febbraio 2010

«Andy ne fait jamais les calculs sans moi»

After the Le Quotidien interview with Andy,here's the one with Frank.Enjoy!
link: http://lequotidien.editpress.lu/les-sports/8177.html

Frank Schleck is almost thirty years old and is beginning its eighth season in the professional cycling world-the eight season with the very same team.Anyway,his motivation is still incredible.
Talking with him,we perfectly understood why,on Wednesday,his younger brother Andy had told us that Frank may be able to win the 2010 Tour de France.Calm,but extremely motivated, Frank Schleck seems ready for another great season.

Yesterday in Majorca the rain was falling behind the windows.When they noticed it,the staff of Team Saxo Bank quickly made a decision: day off for everyone.In fact the traces of the long training session of the previous day (which was 200 kms long) were still in the legs.
What are you going to do today?
Frank Schleck: We're all going to rest,since we've been training hard lately.We did the right thing when we left Luxembourg because of the bad weather.But this Friday,we'll be riding again.Five hours on the schedule.Then on Saturday we'll have a three hours training and on Sunday there is our first race of the year.
Are you eager to start your season?
Yes and no. On one hand,I'm afraid to be a bit behind in my preparation,since between all the training camps we always had to go back to Luxembourg and the weather was really bad there.Luckily in Fuerteventura we trained really well.Of course then the new season is starting and so there is always a little extra excitement.And,of course,there are also some extra doubts. We think: 'Will it go well? Will it go bad?',but I know there's no reason that it should go bad.In Majorca,I'm not racing for the victory although,in cycling,you can never know.We'll see what will happen...
Yesterday your brother Andy told us that you've changed a lot during the winter.Do you confirm it?
Again,yes and no.It is true that there are some new things (laughs).Martine and I are looking forward to becoming parents for the first time and obviously this gives me a lot of motivation. Then,to go back to cycling,last year I had to interrupt my season in September for undergoing knee surgery.I had to end my season very soon,so I am very motivated and I 'm really looking forward to the season's beginning in order to understand how my condition is.
What about training?
Frankly,I haven't changed my training a lot.Anyway the winter weather has been bad,so we had to adapt ourselves to it.I think I've trained even better than usual.We'll see whether I'll be able to go as strong as last year but,again,there is no reason that things shouldn't go as they did last year.
Andy thinks you may be able to win the 2010 Tour de France.What do you think of this fact?
Andy finished second in the Tour last year and of course he's really motivated.I really like one thing about him: he never calculates things without me.And I agree with him.I think we can do better than last year,when we rode the Tour and also the Classics and we were always together at the head of the race.As far as 2010 is concerned,I often think: Why can't I get to the Paris podium? And if I can arrive on the podium,what tells me that I won't be able to win it? Obviously I'd be very happy also if Andy found himself in a good position to win the race,and I know that the same worths for him.We both have good chances of winning. Of course in cycling you must always consider luck and bad luck.Anyway,Andy and I will do our best.
You became a professional rider in 2003...
Yes,this is my eighth season as a professional rider.Now I'm not afraid to take my responsibilities.I've improved a lot and I think I already know enough things about races.In this sport,you learn new things every year and this is always a big help.If I look back,I realize that I've learned a lot of things.Experience is useful.
What did you learn last year?
I learned a lot in 2009.I learned things from Lance Armstrong,who runs really well from the tactical point of view.I also learned some things from Alberto Contador,who has a different riding style if compared to Armstrong,and is not unbeatable.But I also learned that it is better to have friends rather than enemies in the peloton.We're adversaires,but it's good to respect each other. From this perspective,I also learned some things from Andy,who can always stay calm during the races.Watching him,I realized that if we stay calm,we can really give our best during the races...
What are your feelings for the 2010 season? And what about your team??
Personally,I'm pretty eager to start because I'm very motivated.For example,I'm awaiting to start the season in order to know how my condition is,so that I can decide how to train in the next weeks.The feelings I'll get in the race will tell me what I'll have to do to improve my condition over the next weeks.As far as the team is concerned,I'm not worried.I've said it a hundred of times,but I have the feeling that we're even stronger than last year.I give you two names to pay attention to: Matti Breschel and Jakob Fuglsang.Matti will be super in the North classics and Jakob will be at our side in the Ardenne.He'll be another important card to play for us.
New teams have been created and the transfers have changed a lot of things.Do you think that this has,in some way,changed the cards on the table?
You know,it's the same thing every year before of the seasonal start.It's true that Astana has changed and it's true that RadioShack and Sky are new teams.But last year it was Cervelo's turn to get into the circus,but things go on.There were riders before us,there will be riders also after us.I remember that,when Fabian (Cancellara) won Paris-Roubaix and I won the Amstel Gold Race,everyone started to talk about the new cycling generation.With Andy,second in the Giro and second in the Tour,we started to talk of another new cycling generation.Every year there are new things and things will always be this way.
You have been racing for the sam team since 2003,8 years ago...
Yes and I am really happy for this thing.I was able to grow in this team and to improve slowly over the years.Therefore I'll be really happy if we manage to go on even after the 2010 season (ndr; Bjarne Riis is looking for a new sponsor right now).I hope we'll manage to.What is sure is that Andy and I will always race together.Cycling will never get between us.We don't know where we'll race in the future,but we'll talk about it after the Tour,since our contracts ends after the Tour.
What are your hopes for the 2010 season?
I hope to repeat a season like the last one.I started getting good results after the 2005 season ad I haven't stopped yet.But this year I'd love to win Liège-Bastogne-Liège,since we'll have our baby ten days after that race.And then of course it would be nice to win the Tour or to finish on the podium.Last year I was fifth in Paris,off of the podium for just 40 seconds.Forty seconds, the delay that I had during the Grande Motte stage and during the team time trial. Well,we also have to be realistic.The riders who did well last year,Lance Armstrong and Alberto Contador will be there,ready for the battle,also this year.
Without going too far: this Paris-Nice could bring you some good results...
Yes,there is a long story between Paris-Nice and me.I had a lot of 2nd and 3rd places last year and so I finished second in the GC.I like that race and it's always a very good test.It will be my first opportunity to get a good result.But beware,since I'd like to be in perfect condition for Liege-Bastogne-Liege,I won't enter a good shape too soon.I am motivated to do well in Paris-Nice,but I always am.Of course,I will be one of the favourites for the victory.
Laurent Didier,the new "little one",has joined your team as well recently.How is he going?
He's going very well,everyone likes him and,on his bike,he had a very good shape already during the training camp.He is very motivated and has trained a lot.Everything will go well for him.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento