Here's the translation of an article about the Schleck brothers taken from Le Quotidien (link: http://lequotidien.editpress.lu/les-sports/6571.html ).I've translated it from French to English and,since I know French even less than Russian (I am not joking),you should read the translation made by myself just if you know French as bad as me.Otherwise,you'd better read the original French article.
In the case your French is as bad as mine,here's the translation (and don't get too angry if something doesn't make sense!!):
ANDY SCHLECK:"I'M ALREADY FOCUSED ON THE TOUR"
His victory in Liége-Bastogne-Liége.His relationship with Frank and their common future.His ambitions.His winter training.Alberto Contador.Andy Schleck doesn't hide anything in an interview with Denis Bastien.
His victory in Liége-Bastogne-Liége.His relationship with Frank and their common future.His ambitions.His winter training.Alberto Contador.Andy Schleck doesn't hide anything in an interview with Denis Bastien.
We could,or should,have begun our interview with Andy Schleck with this question: how do you feel at the end of 2009 year?
Instead Andy made us wait few minutes before of telling us how he feels about the end of this season and about the new year approaching.And the answer to the question is that,at the end of 2009,Andy Schleck feels very good."I've never,never felt so well before in this period.I had the best holiday ever in Curaçao,together with my brother and my mother.Too bad that my father didn't come! Now I'm really looking forward to meeting again my teammates.Really,I think I've never been so motivated before..."
Andy,you stopped your season in September with the Mendrisio Worlds.Have you had the time in the last two months to enjoy the results you've reached this year?
"The Liége's victory made a dream of mine come true.I didn't realise immediately what I had done,although I was aware of the importance of that race.In my opinion,the Liége is even more beautiful than the Paris-Roubaix and I knew I could win it.I got to know that it had been a long time since a rider last won it with an attack in the final kms just after the race.That made me feel proud of what I've done.I think I made something big.One day,during the Tour,Lance Armstrong said to me:"I'd never seen a rider win that classic as you did".I liked that compliment,yes,I was pretty proud...
And then July came,together with the Tour de France.Your second placement in the GC,Frank's 5th one...
To me,the best moment of the race was Frank's victory in Grand Bornard.That stage,it was a family thing,a very big one,really.We were really motivated also because of Voigt's crash the previous day.
What was,in your opinion,the best souvenir from the 2009 Tour de France?
It may sound strange,but to me it was a moment on the Mont Ventoux top.At a certain point, right after the stage,while I was on the podium,I looked at the blue sky,that was very beautiful on that day.There weren't many people around,so I started to think.I will always remember that moment.It was the day before of the Paris stage,there was this wonderful blue sky and I realised that the Tour was nearly over.I was incredibly happy,I think often about that moment...
The last TdF has increased your popularity,that was already very big.How do you see this fact?
I feel a great pride for me,for my family and for my country.For example,the other day I was in Germany.Someone told me: "Luxembourg? The country of cyclists?".Some time ago,people used to match Luxembourg with Banks.Now people match Luxembourg with Cycling.I'm proud of having given a contribute to this.And it's true that this happened because of the Tour, the biggest race of the world.And the Tour also allows me to get my salary,I'm aware of it and I really can't complain.
That's what people call "Notoriety"...
Yes,but I also know that all this could stop very fast.Cycling is a dangerous sport.You can fall,you can get hurt...Just think about that young Italian rider that died while training (NDR;the Italian junior champion,Anthony Orsani,died on Sunday after having a bad accident with a car while training).Everyday,while you race,you play with your life.Sometimes you think about it.If you fall and have a serious crash,then your life can go back to zero.But luckily,training here in Luxembourg is pretty safe.It's a kind of paradise if you want to train without risks.
Talking about the 2009 season,do you regret what happened during the Vuelta and during the Worlds?
After the Tour,I felt in a great form and I did some criteriums.Then,all of a sudden,I started to feel the fatigue.An enormous fatigue.For one week,I just didn't want to talk about cycling or to hear someone talk about it.I was fed up.Even watching a race on television was unbearable to me.Then I take up training again to take part in the Vuelta.Frank told me:"We're racing the Vuelta and then the Worlds".And so I trained very well and went at the departure of the race.
Then you decided to retire...
Andy,you stopped your season in September with the Mendrisio Worlds.Have you had the time in the last two months to enjoy the results you've reached this year?
"The Liége's victory made a dream of mine come true.I didn't realise immediately what I had done,although I was aware of the importance of that race.In my opinion,the Liége is even more beautiful than the Paris-Roubaix and I knew I could win it.I got to know that it had been a long time since a rider last won it with an attack in the final kms just after the race.That made me feel proud of what I've done.I think I made something big.One day,during the Tour,Lance Armstrong said to me:"I'd never seen a rider win that classic as you did".I liked that compliment,yes,I was pretty proud...
And then July came,together with the Tour de France.Your second placement in the GC,Frank's 5th one...
To me,the best moment of the race was Frank's victory in Grand Bornard.That stage,it was a family thing,a very big one,really.We were really motivated also because of Voigt's crash the previous day.
What was,in your opinion,the best souvenir from the 2009 Tour de France?
It may sound strange,but to me it was a moment on the Mont Ventoux top.At a certain point, right after the stage,while I was on the podium,I looked at the blue sky,that was very beautiful on that day.There weren't many people around,so I started to think.I will always remember that moment.It was the day before of the Paris stage,there was this wonderful blue sky and I realised that the Tour was nearly over.I was incredibly happy,I think often about that moment...
The last TdF has increased your popularity,that was already very big.How do you see this fact?
I feel a great pride for me,for my family and for my country.For example,the other day I was in Germany.Someone told me: "Luxembourg? The country of cyclists?".Some time ago,people used to match Luxembourg with Banks.Now people match Luxembourg with Cycling.I'm proud of having given a contribute to this.And it's true that this happened because of the Tour, the biggest race of the world.And the Tour also allows me to get my salary,I'm aware of it and I really can't complain.
That's what people call "Notoriety"...
Yes,but I also know that all this could stop very fast.Cycling is a dangerous sport.You can fall,you can get hurt...Just think about that young Italian rider that died while training (NDR;the Italian junior champion,Anthony Orsani,died on Sunday after having a bad accident with a car while training).Everyday,while you race,you play with your life.Sometimes you think about it.If you fall and have a serious crash,then your life can go back to zero.But luckily,training here in Luxembourg is pretty safe.It's a kind of paradise if you want to train without risks.
Talking about the 2009 season,do you regret what happened during the Vuelta and during the Worlds?
After the Tour,I felt in a great form and I did some criteriums.Then,all of a sudden,I started to feel the fatigue.An enormous fatigue.For one week,I just didn't want to talk about cycling or to hear someone talk about it.I was fed up.Even watching a race on television was unbearable to me.Then I take up training again to take part in the Vuelta.Frank told me:"We're racing the Vuelta and then the Worlds".And so I trained very well and went at the departure of the race.
Then you decided to retire...
Yes,the night before of a stage (NDR;Andy left the race during the 8th stage) I suffered from gastrititis,so I decided to go home.At home I trained again,but in my mind everything was already over.I had the desire of going fishing or going out walking with my dogs.And the Worlds were a disaster for me.So I decided not to race the last races of the season.I told Riis and Andersen: "I stop here.If I want to have a good 2010 season,I have to rest a while".
What's the result of this choice?
I can say that the decision of stopping racing was really good,I'd never trained this way before.After the holidays,I made lots of different things.On Friday,Frank and I trained for 6 hours! It was the first time I trained so much.We're also doing some weight training,some swimming and of course we're riding our bikes.That's good to have a good basis.I really want to go back racing,to meet the boys again (NDR;the first team meeting is on Saturday with the traditional boot camp.After a week of boot camp the riders will train for a week.Before of that,the Schleck brothers will be in Denmark for a sponsor event).
You're really impatient!
I'm really happy,that's true.I'm varying my training.I'm also going to ski for 4 days! I rememver that in 2007,before of my first Giro d'Italia,I went skiing for a week between the Paris-Nice and the Criterium International...
Let's say that you've found again the pleasure of riding your bike again...
I'm training without stress in these days and so I'm having a lot of fun.In this period I usually ride in the woods on a Specialized Cyclocross bike.That bike is a little jewel!
Talking about the 2010 season,your team seems a bit weaker...What do you think about it?
I don't think that we'll have a weaker team.Not for the Grand Tours,at least.Karsten Kroon was a precious rider for the Classics,but with a guy like Jakob Fuglsang we'll be very strong anyway.Last year for example he worked in a great way during the Liége.
Also Kurt-Asle Arvesen has changed team.
Yes,he's changed team as well,but he'll always remain a friend of mine.And the same worths for Karsten.They've changed team,that's life.We remain friends.One day,I may run for another team as well.It's normal when you're a cyclist.
Your contract ends in 2010 and so all the best teams of the World would love you to race for them.It seems that Radioshack is really interested in you...
Talking about my future,one thing is clear and sure,I'll never go in a team without Frank! My future will always be chained with his.It will be a "two guys package" or nothing,even if this will involve earning less money.But at the moment I don't have any problem with Saxo Bank,I'm happy to ride in this team.I'm really happy at the idea of seeing all my teammates again,this idea makes me feel good.
How has your behaviour towards your teammates changed during these years?
I've been a pro for 6 years now.I'll always remember the chances that Riis gave me when I was younger and I'll always be thankul for this.Talking about my relationship with the other team riders,I like it when the new pros come and ask for advice.For example,sometimes the new riders want to oganise their training programme basing themselves on my own programme,but I always suggests them not doing so.I tell them to do their own programme,thinking about their own skills,that's how they can improve step by step.
What's the result of this choice?
I can say that the decision of stopping racing was really good,I'd never trained this way before.After the holidays,I made lots of different things.On Friday,Frank and I trained for 6 hours! It was the first time I trained so much.We're also doing some weight training,some swimming and of course we're riding our bikes.That's good to have a good basis.I really want to go back racing,to meet the boys again (NDR;the first team meeting is on Saturday with the traditional boot camp.After a week of boot camp the riders will train for a week.Before of that,the Schleck brothers will be in Denmark for a sponsor event).
You're really impatient!
I'm really happy,that's true.I'm varying my training.I'm also going to ski for 4 days! I rememver that in 2007,before of my first Giro d'Italia,I went skiing for a week between the Paris-Nice and the Criterium International...
Let's say that you've found again the pleasure of riding your bike again...
I'm training without stress in these days and so I'm having a lot of fun.In this period I usually ride in the woods on a Specialized Cyclocross bike.That bike is a little jewel!
Talking about the 2010 season,your team seems a bit weaker...What do you think about it?
I don't think that we'll have a weaker team.Not for the Grand Tours,at least.Karsten Kroon was a precious rider for the Classics,but with a guy like Jakob Fuglsang we'll be very strong anyway.Last year for example he worked in a great way during the Liége.
Also Kurt-Asle Arvesen has changed team.
Yes,he's changed team as well,but he'll always remain a friend of mine.And the same worths for Karsten.They've changed team,that's life.We remain friends.One day,I may run for another team as well.It's normal when you're a cyclist.
Your contract ends in 2010 and so all the best teams of the World would love you to race for them.It seems that Radioshack is really interested in you...
Talking about my future,one thing is clear and sure,I'll never go in a team without Frank! My future will always be chained with his.It will be a "two guys package" or nothing,even if this will involve earning less money.But at the moment I don't have any problem with Saxo Bank,I'm happy to ride in this team.I'm really happy at the idea of seeing all my teammates again,this idea makes me feel good.
How has your behaviour towards your teammates changed during these years?
I've been a pro for 6 years now.I'll always remember the chances that Riis gave me when I was younger and I'll always be thankul for this.Talking about my relationship with the other team riders,I like it when the new pros come and ask for advice.For example,sometimes the new riders want to oganise their training programme basing themselves on my own programme,but I always suggests them not doing so.I tell them to do their own programme,thinking about their own skills,that's how they can improve step by step.
It seems that you have a great control not just during the races but also during the trainings...
I've got experience,but I'm still too nervous during the races.I'll never thank Frank enough for the guide role he has towards me.During the decisive moments,he can always read the race very well.He tells me to pay attention to this or to that.I'm sure that,without him,I would have never came in 2nd in a Tour de France.
Talking about Frank:he's recently said that you've made a deal.You win the Amstel Gold Race,he wins the Liége.Do you agree with him?
Absolutely,this would be amazing for us.Of course we can't know in advance how the races will end up,but I'd love to win the Amstel,while Frank instead has everything it takes to win a Liége. However,it will be important to take part in the Liége at 100% of form.That's why it could be too dangerous for us to race the Tour of Flanders.In the next years,we may race it...
After the Classics you'll have your second seasonal goal,the Tour de France.
After the Classics you'll have your second seasonal goal,the Tour de France.
The Tour,I'm already focused on it! To win the Tour,since it's my main goal,I think I still need to improve in the TTs.In this period I'm working on my legs,on my arms and my back in order to get better in the TTs,even if I don't want to take on too much weight.Anyway,I think that I've already got better in the last years and that I may keep on improving.
Will Contador become even stronger in the next years?
The main goal of my career is to win the Tour,that's clear.And right now,Contador is stronger than me.I would have preferred not to come across him in my career,I would have preferred it if he had raced 10 years ago! He's got a great,great talent.Perhaps he's even stronger than Lance Armstrong.
How can you beat him?
Sometimes he shows some weaknesses,just like he did in the Paris-Nice.Therefore he's not unbeatable.But to beat him,we really must do everything in a perfect way.Anyway,I do what can be done.If I I give my best and I can't win,I'll be happy anyway,since I'll have given my best to try and win the Tour.And if I don't even make it to the podium,I won't die because of it.For the moment,the big favourite of the race is Contador.
Will Contador's team be his weak point next July?
No,since in 2010 there isn't any TTT at the Tour.If there had been one,then yes,the team could have been a weak point for Contador.In the next Tour,he'll probably have 2-3 good grimpeurs in his team to help him in the mountain stages,but his problem will be the cobblestones.In the 3rd from Wanze to Arenberg he may suffer,while Frank and I will be able to count on cobblestones specialists like Fabian,Stuart and Matti (Cancellara,O'Grady and Breschel).If there's a way to crate problems to Contador,we'll do it.Therefore we will train a lot and make a recognition of that stage.
NB: A Beautiful Freak left a link to her blog under one of my previous post.Since it is a very interesting one,I give you the link also here: http://mahoela.blogspot.com/

I like the Ventoux part too,it is a very nice one.I like this interview as well since Andy says some very nice and deep things in it.
RispondiElimina