venerdì 16 settembre 2011

Random post about the Worlds, Team RaNT, Wegelius and mr. Schleck:

After a very busy week, miss Fede is finally back with a new post (*chorus of 'yay!s' coming from all over the world*). Unfortunately she couldn't write anything earlier because in the last few days she's been very busy. In fact, on Tuesday miss Fede officially became a university student by attending her first Russian lesson at uni (*chorus of 'it was high time!!' coming from Denmark, Holland and many other countries*).
Before talking about that experience, let me tell you one important thing about Italian university: here in Italy, the academic year begins in October (*imagines the scandalised look on her readers' faces as they read this*). 'Why have you already started going to uni then?', I hear you wonder. Well, easy: the people who have decided to take up an unknown language at the 'Foreign Languages and Literatures' faculty of my university have to attend an intensive language course during the month of September. Let's make an example: a friend of mine (who has studied Spanish, French and English at high school) has decided to take up Chinese. Therefore, this month she has to attend an intensive Chinese course. On the other hand, given that I decided to take up Russian, this month I have to attend an intensive Russian course. Nice, isn't it?
So far I've attended just two lessons, which were both very interesting but also slightly frightening. One of our professors in fact is extremely kind and funny, whereas the other one is much stricter and, sometimes, she can also be a bit annoying. For example, she put on a scandalised look when a girl asked her what the word 'шоколад' ('schokolad') meant. 'I thought it was obvious that it means 'chocolate!' I mean, it is the same word as in German!'  Of course the girl didn't know a word of German, so she was pretty angry when the professor answered her in that way. But still, I must admit that, in comparison to the behaviours of some of my high school teachers, that wasn't a very rude reply at all.
Anyway, back to my first days at uni. One of the things I'm proud of is that I managed to find my way to the uni without problems on the first day of lessons. The Languages faculty of Bergamo in fact owns three different buildings in the Upper City and that's where the lessons take place. On the one hand, this is very good because the buildings are all very old and fascinating (a friend of mine said that 'going to school in the Upper City is a bit like going to Hogwarts', and I agree) and because they are all in a very quiet area. On the other hand, getting lost in the medieval streets of the city is terribly easy. That's why I was so happy when I didn't get lost on the first day of lesson.
The second day was actually a bit different. I went to the place where the lessons were supposed to take place but, 5 minutes before the beginning of the lesson, I understood I was in the wrong place (in fact there was just another person in the classroom with me :P). I asked for info and I was told that the lesson had been moved to another building. Of course that made me panick, but luckily a kind classmate helped me to find my way to the other building and we managed to arrive there on time.
Yesterday, on the other hand, I did get lost. The funny thing is that I didn't lose my way in the Upper City, but in the university building itself. In fact yesterday I had to take my first uni exam. This exam is called 'evaluation test' and every rookie has to take two of these tests: the first one regards the knowledge of a foreign language, the other one aims to test the rookie's knowledge of the Italian language. If someone doesn't pass one or two of these tests, they can start attending the lessons anyway. But still, they have to take these tests once again in May. If they pass these exams in May, everything is ok. Otherwise, they can retake these tests in September. If they fail them also on this occasion, they fail the whole year and they have to attend the first-year lessons and pay all the first-year taxes all over again. Quite frightening, isn't it?
Anyway. I had my German evaluation test yesterday (I think I've passed it, but I'm not sure yet) and the funny thing is that, after I got out of the classroom (we were on the second floor), I had problems finding my way to the exit. Seriously, it took me 15 minutes to get out of that cursed building! What an embarassing experience.
This morning instead I had my Italian evaluation test. I'll receive the results on next Friday, so I'm pretty nervous right now. In fact, the test looked ok to me, but everyone else found it extremely complicated. Now, was I so lucky to get 'the lucky sheet', or did I find it easy because I made everything wrong? I mean, even people who are good at Italian told me that they found it really difficult!

However, I realise I've been digressing way too much. So, let's talk cycling now ;) 
First topic du jour, the Worlds: the most important one-day race of the year takes place next Sunday in Copenhagen and, of course, everyone right now is in a very patriotic mood. The parcours looks easy on paper, but the Italian coach Paolo 'The Cricket' Bettini has said that it is actually more difficult than it seems.
One of the main contenders for the final victory is Cavendish, who has recently won a stage in Tour of Britain. Hushovd, who was reported to have come down with a bad cold, has recently won a ToB stage too, whereas Gilbert has won both GP de Wallonie and GP Québec. Sagan, on the other hand, won three Vuelta stages, while Bennati showed that he's in a good form too. Amongst the main contenders for the rainbow jersey then there are also Goss, Farrar, Greipel, Modolo and Kittel, not to mention good old Freire and Boasson Hagen. Amongst the riders who won't take part in the Worlds instead there are Tom Boonen (who had a bad crash at la Vuelta) and Matti Breschel. The Copenhagen parcours would perfectly suit the Danish rider, but unfortunately he won't be able to take part in the race because of two broken fingers. Heal fast, Matti: we're all hoping bad luck soon stops following you!
Talking about the Danish team, it must be taid hat they're having a tough time in these days: first, in their Worlds leader broke two bones; then, they discovered that Alex Rasmussen has been fired by Garmin-Cervélo for missing three doping controls. As a consequence, Denmark has now become one of the few teams that will try to avoid a final bunch sprint. In fact, the Danish riders for the Worlds will be Michael Morkov, Chris Anker Sørensen, Nicki Sørensen, Jakob Fuglsang, Anders Lund and Lars Bak - they're all great riders, no doubts about that, but unfortunately none of them is as fast as Cavendish or Farrar. Therefore, I think the Danes will try to create a winning breakaway - or, at least, they'll try to avoid a massive bunch sprint.
As far as other teams are concerned, the Canadian riders will be Dominique Rollin, Svein Tuft (who will take part in the TT race as well) and David Veilleux. The Spaniards will have a good team formed by Oscar Freire (who has said he'll retire if he doesn't win in Copenhagen), Barredo, Garate, LL Sanchez, Erviti, Lastras, Rojas, Flecha and Reynes.
Talking about Spanish riders and retirements: Carlos Sastre has recently announced he'll retire. After the 2009 Giro Carlos has been struggling with getting good results and I think he's right in retiring now. After all, he will always be remembered as the man who won the 2008 TdF against the odds.
On to another team, the Swiss team will be formed by Cancellara, Albasini, Kohler and Rast. The Aussie team instead will be formed by Clarke, Cooke, Gerrans, Haussler, Goss, O'Grady, Hayman, Sutton and Rogers. A remarkable exclusion is Mark Renshaw's one, since the Aussie is a great leadout man and he's recently showed that he can win sprints as well.
As far as Germany is concerned, the national team will be formed by Burghardt, Ciolek, Degenkolb, Hondo, Kittel, Sieberg, Wegmann and Greipel. A great roster, isn't it?
Belgium will have Phil Gilbert, Roelandts, Kaisen, Lodewyck, Van Summeren, Van Avermaet, De Weert and Leukemans. A good team, which will hopefully give Italy a hand in making the race harder than expected.
Holland will have a good team too and will hopefully help Switzerland, Belgium, Denmark and Italy in their attempt of creating some problems to the fastest men of the peloton (Cav, I'm thinking of you). The Dutchies will be Gesink, Mollema, Boom, Hoogerland, Ligthart, Poels, Terpstra, Weening and Tjallingii.
Russia will bring Galimzyanov, Isaichev, Porsev, Ignatiev and Gusev to Copenhagen, whereas the French team will be formed by Voeckler, Chavanel, Dumoulin, Offredo, Kadri, Gallopin, Ravard, Roux and Romain Feillu.
Italy will have Bennati, Modolo, Belletti, Gatto, Visconti, Viviani, Gavazzi, Oss, Paolini and Tosatto: a great team,  in my (partial) point of view. Bennati and Modolo in fact can play their cards in case of a bunch sprint, whereas Viviani, Visconti, Gatto and Belletti are fast and solid riders, just like Gavazzi and Oss. Paolini is a fast man too and he and Tosatto will have to use their experience in order to decide the team's strategy during the race (in fact, the riders aren't allowed to use radios at the Worlds). Personally, I'm very happy with the Italian team, although I can understand Ponzi's disappointment in learning that he had been excluded from the roster. But still, I think Bettini preferred the experienced Gavazzi to the young Ponzi, who is one of the most talented Italian riders anyway.
On to other teams, the Americans will have Farrar, Bookwalter, Busche, Duggan, King, Louder, Phinney and Talansky; Great Britain instead will have a team formed by Cavendish, Cummings, Froome, Hunt, Millar, Stannard, Thomas and Wiggins.
As far as other teams are concerned, I'm going to write a start list including all the teams in the next days. Therefore, stay tuned - the Worlds fever is taking over ;)

After talking briefly about the Worlds, let's talk about a rider who is retiring at the end of this year - and that rider is Charles Wegelius, one of the most hilarious men who ever joined Twitter. The 33 year-old rider (who has always been a great helper) became a pro in 1999 and since then he's worked for many important riders,. But still, Charly has never got an individual victory. “One of the big regrets is that I never won a race. I was part of three team time trial winning teams but that is not like winning alone. I went very close this year at the Vuelta Asturias on a mountain finish but finished third after Constantino Zaballa passed me in the final kilometre", Charly has recently told Cyclingnews. Best wishes for your future, Charly!!

Let's now talk about another rider who is apparently doing everything he can to become one of the least loved riders in Cycledom. Unfortunately, I'm talking about Andy Schleck. As we (and poor Figgy in particular) know, our boy had a wisdom tooth removed on the 5th of September. That operation forced him to skip GP Québec and Tour of Wallonie - and now our boy has announced that he won't be able to take part in the Worlds either.  And all because of that wisdom tooth. I know that wisdom teeth are very annoying, but unfortunately the only feeling that people get from all this tooth-thing is that Andy is making up excuses because he wants to go on holiday as soon as possible. Or, at least, that's the feeling I get. I don't know if it's a problem of mine, but I have the feeling that Andy is self-destroying himself with some of his behaviours. Amongst the French journalist he's known as 'Andyfferent', amongst his colleagues his nickname is 'Torcicollis', some supporters think he's the worst guy of the peloton as far as creating race strategies is concerned. Moreover, the owner of his team thinks that he can't win a Tour unless he has a super ds telling him what to do. Personally, if I were him, I'd ask myself a few questions...

Anyway, end of the bitchy moment du post. On to another topic, let's talk a bit about Team RaNT. First news, Fuglsang has stated that he was disappointed by the way the merger was done. Second news, Didier is joining this new team. This of course means that another LT rider will soon find himself without a team. Now, we all know that O'Grady is going to GreenEdge (perfect timing, Stuey!), that Voigt has already signed a contract with Team Rant and that, apparently, those whose contract won't be renewed will be Pires, Feillu, Rohregger and Pedersen. Add Fuglsang (given his latest comments about the merger, I think he'll soon change team) and you have 5 riders from LT without a contract. Add Didier to Team RaNT, and another LT rider loses his contract. Now we just need to guess who. Luckily, news are expected to arrive within 24 hours. I'm looking forward to them!
Oh, and apropos: am I the only one who thinks that Rohregger terribly deserves having his contract renewed? :P

8 commenti:

  1. For all the members of the AAVL: Vino has decided to stay a pro for another year!! Yesssssssss!! :D (Mainly to save his team, Astana, if he retires the team won't get his points for next year)

    Fede, it's nice to read your uni adventures. Hopefully you passed both tests, that's quite something (2 tests!) for the first days back in school, but I bet you did fine :-) I actually had the same thing when I studied Romanian for 2 semesters (minor): one teacher was really nice and the other was more strict (but still she wasn't uncool or anything, just pretty strict). The buildings.. yeah, they look so big in the beginning.. ;)

    The Dutchies are aiming for a breakaway.. because we only have one real sprinter, Pim Ligthart, and we're not sure if he can 'survive' the long distance.. I don't think he can beat guys like Cav and Kittel and so on.. so our coach wants the riders to create a breakaway :-) I'm so excited about Pieter Weening going to the Worlds.. he so deserves it after his great season!

    Rohregger a new contract? Yeah, I'm with you, he's a nice guy :-) I was never really a fan of Andy Schleck, I was the Fränk fan ;) But right now I'm not a fan of both of them anymore. I don't get them. When you're "just guys from the neighbourhood" you don't have to say it. You just have to act like it. Well, I don't want to ramble on about it. Sometimes I still like them, like when I see Leea cheering up Andy.. but then a moment later they're doing/saying things I don't get. Walking contradictions, that's what they are ;)

    In my last comment on your previous post I totally forgot to mention how happy I am for Wouter Weylandt's girlfriend that it all went fine and she has a healthy baby girl. It must be so difficult for her and the families and friends..

    RispondiElimina
  2. Fede, you have nothing to be afraid of. You're an amazing student, just do your assignments, and let the hard work pay off come exam time.

    I don't know the size of the University of Bergamo, but if it's anything like the University of Toronto's St. George campus, which has over 80,000 students, it should feel like a small city-state in and of itself.

    My least favourite building is University College, which has several new annexes, and wings that have no passageways that connect them to the main old building. The old building itself is full of corridors, and dead ends. This means that it's quite possible to be IN University College, but unless you have the ability to walk through walls, you'll never reach your class on time.

    I'm quite excited to see the Worlds this year, even if I haven't heard of most of the riders on the Canadian team :P I think I quite like the line-up for Britain. I can root for them as a member of the Commonwealth, right?

    I think Jakob Fuglsang would be better off finding another team, and racing for himself, instead of being in the services of another rider. Again, I don't wish to comment on matters where I'm not privy to information, but I think "something is rotten in the state of Leopard Trek". Some riders definitely knew more than others about the takeover, and maybe I am being harsh, but that seems like a lousy way to treat one's teammates, and friends.

    Torcicollis sounds like the Classics name for Crane-a-Neck. Fabian is Spartacus, and Andy is Torcicollis. We practically have a Roman consulate there.

    I just see a giant tooth where Torcicollis' face used to be.

    RispondiElimina
  3. Your funny Susan- I think this tooth saga will forever haunt Andy Schleck.

    I know certain fan girls cannot stand any criticism of the Schlecks but I agree with Fede and Susan. Something does stink about this whole merger and the treatment of staff and riders(and it's not Cavs arse as he so eloquently tweeted).

    Andy does himself no favours by disappearing from the public eye, toothache or not.

    This whole merger appears to be about Becca trying to get the best team/ds as quickly as possible to get Andy a TDF win and with little consideration for lose who will lose their jobs. Therefore Andy should have the good grace and dare I say maturity to at least publicly comment on it.

    He gives his critics to much amnunition to use against him by his behaviour. Perhaps it is his age but this excuse is becoming a little tiresome.

    At least Frank is racing and tweeting although his reaction to rumours of him and Andy being broken up appears a little silly since the real rumour mill is about the merger and who is in/out.

    If this new super team (dejavu this time last year with LT) is so wonderful and Bruyneel is the god of DS's then Bros Schleck should be talking about it publicly. It is kind of like the elephant in the room that no one is mentioning.

    Anyway I have momentarily swapped skinny cyclists for the man mountains of rugby players in the world cup.

    Jen

    RispondiElimina
  4. @ Marleen: Girls, I think I've just found my new favourite team: goodbye Schlecks, bienvenidos Astanamen! :D
    Seriously, this news has made my day, thank you so much for pointing it out!!

    PS: talking about Vino: the other day I read my first sentence in Russian, and it contained the word 'Vino' - I was such a satisfied student in that moment!!

    I still haven't received the results of my tests and this is really annoying. Those who took the English test received the results on Friday, the poor things who took the German one (which was longer and more difficult than the English test) still don't know anything about their results. This is so annoying!

    You studied Romanian for two semesters? How cool! You like studying unusual languages, don't you? ;)

    Hoogerland, Weening, Visconti, Gilbert, Belletti, Van Summeren, Cancellara, Voeckler, Chavanel, CA & Nicki Sorensen, Ignatiev, Rollin, Isaichev, Lovkvist and Offredo: the perfect breakaway! :D
    It's good to know that we Italians aren't the only ones who will try to make the race hard. Bettini trusts Bennati and thinks that he has the chance of winning the race, but imo Italy has to drop guys like Cavendish, Freire, Farrar, Kittel and Sagan if they really want to play the Bennati-cards. Luckily the team is full of fast riders who can enter important breakaways, so that we definitely have some victory chances. Forza azzurri!! :)

    "When you're 'just guys from the neighbourhood' you don't have to say it. You just have to act like it". I couldn't have said it better!! Frank and Andy (more Andy than Frank) are keen on showing that they're the best guys of the world, but they haven't showed any public sympathy for their poor teammates who are getting fired in these days. Moreover, in the last few months I've had the feeling that the brothers seem to care just about themselves, without thinking about the other people on their teams and about their supporters.

    Poor An-Sophie must feel so strange in these days! On the one hand, her baby is born, but on the other hand, her man isn't there with her. It must be such a heartbreaking feeling!! And don't let me think about the parents of Wouter! They can see their granddaughter whenever they want, but their son will never see his daughter...This is so sad!!

    RispondiElimina
  5. @ Susan: 80 000 students???? Luckily, the University of Bergamo isn't that big ;)
    My university is actually formed by many different buildings, which are located in different places. For example, the lessons for those who study Law or Economy are held in a big building in the centre of the town (that's where I got lost the other day - that place has so many dead ends!!!). The lessons for those who want to become Engineers instead are held in Dalmine, which is a village close to Bergamo. Those who study Languages instead go to the Upper City, which is the oldest part of the town. I love going to school there because of the atmosphere, but unfortunately it doesn't take much to get lost in the narrow streets of Città Alta! :P (pic: http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bergamo_citt%C3%A0_alta.jpg ).

    Of course you can root for Great Britain as a member of Commonwealth!! Actually, Svein Tuft may surprise everyone in the TT race - in 2008 he got a silver medal at the Worlds!

    I completely agree with you about Fuglsang and about the fact that 'something is rotten in the state of Leopard Trek'. Seriously, you can't treat people like that, not even if you're the richest man in Luxembourg!

    LOL at 'We practically have a Roman consulate there'!! Now we just need to find a Latin nickname for Frank... ;)

    @ Jen: Welcome back in the comment area, dear!! :D

    I've read Cyclingnews' translated interview with Andy (http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/andy-schleck-talks-about-his-tooth-problems) and the tooth-story kind of scared me. 'I really don't want to risk a heart muscle infection, which would mean I would have to sit out a year'. Geez, I didn't know that teeth could be that dangerous!

    I fear that Andy and Frank will never be allowed to say what they really think of the merger.
    As far as mr. Becca is concerned, I think that his behaviour towards the whole team has been disgusting. Take Andersen's case: Kim did a lot of work in order to 'steal' riders from Riis and now he's likely to be fired just because he didn't win the Tour de France. And to say that on the final stage in Paris the whole team was happy because 'we're the first ones to have two brothers on the Tour de France podium, wow!!'.

    You're completely right about the age excuse: Andy isn't a kid anymore and this regards also his results. People used to consider him the next big thing, but now our boy is 26 and he hasn't won any Grand Tour yet. At his age, Contador had already won the Tour and the Giro and Nibali (who isn't as strong as Alberto and Andy) had already won the Vuelta. Of course arriving 2nd in a GT for four times in a row is quite something, but a second place is not like a victory anyway.

    Frank and Andy can't race in two different Grand Tours, let alone in two different teams :P

    Bruyneel is a good ds, results say it clearly. But still, I think that nowadays the best ds of the world is Bjarne Riis. Love him or hate him, one can't deny that Bjarne can recognise talent. Moreover, he's cunning, clever and strict. Last but not least, he knows how to make other people do what he wants (see Crostis-Gate at this year Giro).
    Los Schlecks had the best ds of the world in their team car and they didn't realise it. Someone in Denmark musy be laughing out loud in these days...

    Rugby players, eh? I must admit I still like skinny cyclists, only I'm not that fond of the Schleck brothers anymore... But still, there are lots of handsome guys around Cycledom!!

    RispondiElimina
  6. Hmmm a nickname for Frank? Who was the Roman that stabbed Caesar in the back?? :P

    Oops I didn't really mean for my first comment back on your blog to be so snarky, Fede. Hehe ;)

    Leelu

    RispondiElimina
  7. Hey Fede! Great to have you back - you were definitely missed during the whole Team RaNT (or Shrek, as I also like to refer to the new team) crisis. Luckily we had Coug's blog to go and rant about the whole merger (sorry, bad pun). I hate to admit it, but like many of you, los Schlecks have sadly slipped down the rankings in terms of likeability/admiration, esp. Andy (though I still like them enough to wish that they WEREN'T going to be working with Bruyneel). I just feel so sorry for all the LT guys about to lose their jobs, esp. those that came with the brothers from Saxo! At least they re-signed Jens, otherwise there would have been a serious fan backlash (although, part of me does wish he was going to a different team, like hopefully Jakob will). My new favourite team is now GreenEdge.

    Anyway, glad to have you back Fede. Don't worry about your exams, from what I've read you're a very good student so I'm sure you'll do very well in all of your studies.

    Brisbane Gal (previously known as A)

    RispondiElimina
  8. @ Leelu: Welcome back, dear! You Aussies were great in the Worlds, chapeau!!!

    Uhmmmm, why did I think of Brutus too as I wrote that line? And why can I hear Bjarne Riis saying 'tu quoque Brute, fili mi' to Frank when I think about Leopard Trek's creation? Definitely too many questions for a tired fangirl!! (although, to say the truth, I'm afraid I know the answers :P)

    @ Brisbane Gal: Hey, 'Shrek team' sounds great!!!

    It seems that Cancellara is unhappy with the merger too. Recently he's even apologized to Bjarne for the way he abandoned Saxo last year, and Riis immediately forgave him. Then, Bjarne added that, if Fabian wants to go back to his old team, he will forget the whole Leopard Trek thing and he will be his ds again.
    I jave the feeling that this idea appeals a lot to Cancellara - now we just need to see if he'll manage to free himself from his contract...

    GreenEdge is a great team and they're doing everything in the right way. They have strong riders who can go fast in every kind of races and they're not blowing their own trumpets. Moreover, they don't have secrecy-related manias and it seems that they're definitely going to let the pedals do the talking next year. I can't wait to read their final roster!

    PS: I still haven't received the results of my two evaluation tests. I'm an angry student. :P

    RispondiElimina