Ok dear readers, it's finally time we started talking about la Vuelta and other random randomness. Unfortunately I couldn't write anything earlier because of some little problems connected to university - and, unfortunately, I won't be able to write anything in the next two weeks, because my parents have decided that our family holiday will start on Saturday. And guess what? I still don't know whether during that holiday I'll be able to watch la Vuelta. I mean, Smiley Menchov is climbing the Angliru in a few days time, and I probably won't be able to witness that event. Isn't that annoying?
Anyway, let's start talking cycling before I get too angry. First thing to mention, the Italian races of the last few days, which saw a great Rebellin get a stunning victory in Trofeo Melinda. The other day I read on la Gazzetta that his team doesn't have the biological passport, so I now have an explanation for his last efforts. I usually don't have doubts about riders who ride really well (I never doubted guys like Gilbert, Cancellara, Evans, etc. ), but imo Rebellin's latest results are too good to be true. Riders usually struggle with finding the race rythm again when they come back racing after a 2 years ban, but right now everything looks terribly easy for Davide - just like, in 2009, everything seemed easy for Riccò.
Anyway, let's leave my suspicious thoughts aside. Italian summer races are always nice because they allow supporters (and the head of the Italian team) to uderstand who the best national riders are. And Trofeo Melinda gave us very good news the other day: in fact Moreno Moser, who is a stagiare, went on a breakaway with 30 kms to go and he was caught just 25 kms later. Moreover, another stagiaire (Moreno Battaglin) was 7th, whereas the young Ratto was 4th. It's great to see the Italian young guns riding so well!
Talking about another topic, Gibert has officially signed for BMC which, next year, will have a very competitive team formed by Hushovd, Evans and PhilGil. Although Phil and Thor may have little contrasts during Sanremo and Tour of Flanders, I believe BMC will be the strongest team of the world in 2012. In fact, no one else has 3 champions who can win every Classic and GT stage they want and who can be competitive from February to October.
Still talking about cycling transfers, Leopard Trek has recently given a contract to Gregory Rast, a solid helper. GreenEdge instead has signed the 'climbing sprinter' Simon Gerrans.
A breakout news of the other day instead says that Vinokourov is already planning to come back racing at the Tour of Lombardy. If he really makes it, I may go watching that race with a Vino 4 ever t-shirt on (ok, just kidding).
After mentioning Leopard Trek, let's talk a bit about los Schlecks: after taking part in different criteriums, the brothers are going to race in the Tour of Colorado, which starts this evening. I would have preferred them to race la Vuelta, but los Schlecks seem to prefer the new American races to the traditional European ones: not only did they race the Tour of California in May (when they could have taken part in the Giro), but now they've preferred the Tour of Colorado to la Vuelta. Less pressure, I suppose.
Talking about the good old European races, yesterday the Hamburg Cycleclassics was won by an amazing Boasson Hagen. I think it's strange for him not to race la Vuelta (after all, he's one of the main contenders for the Worlds victory), but the guy surely knows what's best for him. Second in the race was Gerald Ciolek, whereas third was Borut Bozic. Fourth was a great Simone Ponzi, a young Italian who would deserve taking part in the Worlds. Talking about La Squadra, Bettini will have a tough time in deciding the names of the Italian riders who will take part in the Worlds. In fact Paolo would like to create a team formed by guys like Ulissi, Ponzi, Malori and Modolo - but will these young guns be able to resist in a race as long as the Worlds? That is the question.
After talking about the Hamburg Classic, let's talk about la Vuelta, which took off with a TTT in Benidorm. Unfortunately I couldn't see that stage, but of course I do know the result: an amazing Leopard Trek won in front of Liquigas and HTC. There were many crashes on the first stage and amongst the crashers du jour there were also Davide Viganò, David Blanco and Nick Nuyens. Brajkovic, on the other hand, had a mechanical right after the start. Cavendish instead didn't have any crash / mechanical, but he crossed the finish-line 2' 40" after his teammmates. Strange, isn't it?
The first rider to wear the red jersey was a happy Jakob Fuglsang, whereas a disappointed Carlos Sastre created a little polemic inside his team (source: Gazzetta dello Sport). In a few words, Carlos said that the team (ds, managers, so on) doesn't give enough support to their riders. According to some rumours, Smiley Menchov was even less smiley than usual after the TTT (after which he lost 39" from Nibali) and apparently he complained about his team as well. Geox guys must have done something very bad if they really managed to annoy Menchov: he never looks pissed off and he didn't even insult me when I stalked him heavily in San Pellegrino Terme!
Anyway, back to the TTT: another team who lost a lot of time was Sky (37"), who had some problems with riders losing contact from their teammates. Euskaltel did better than usual, whereas Astana was a good 4th (5" of delay from Nibali).
Yesterday the riders faced a 174 kms long stage from la Nucia to Playa de Orihuela. 4 brave riders went on a hopeless breakaway and the bravest amongst them was Adam Hansen, who probably wanted to put a remedy to his poor TTT (he lost contact from his teammates halfway through the stage). Everyone expected the sprinters to battle in the last meters of race, but no one (not even the race chronists and the journalists) had considered a little climb (about 300 meters with an average of 5%) that the rider had to face with about 800 meters to go. Also many riders looked shocked by that little climb and this makes me wonder why they didn't know about it.
HTC started pulling with 10 kms to go and that was a suicide-move. In fact Cav soon found himself with just 4 helpers, whereas other teams still had lots of riders ready to help their sprinters. With about 3 kms to go, Leopard Trek took the lead. Cancellara, O'Grady, Viganò, Bennati: everything was perfect. Unfortunately in the last curve of the race no one could keep Viganò's wheel, therefore Davide found himself at the head of the race, without knowing that his teammates weren't following him (at least, that's what Bennati said). However, Viganò wisely decided to try his luck, but he was swallowed by the peloton on the little climb before the finish-line. At that point HTC and LT's leadout trains broke down and Boonen tried to attack. Unfortunately for the Belgian, it was still too early and he was soon outsprinted by other guys. Sky's Christopher Sutton followed Omega's Reynes as the Spaniard attacked and he outsprinted the Vicente in the last meters of race. Third was Marcel Kittel, whereas 4th was Farrar, 5th Breschel and 6th Bennati.
"I knew it was a hard uphill finish", a happy Sutton told Cyclingnews. "Someone from Lotto accelerated and I jumped on his wheel. I thought, 'This is a long way to go.' But I looked back and no one was there. I thought, 'Alright, I've got this one.' To win today is a dream come true. I can't believe it". Reynes instead almost broke into tears after the finish-line, whereas a happy Bennati received the fourth red jersey of his career.
Today the Vuelta riders will face another flat stage which features a little climb with 13 kms to go. The victory will probably be decided by a sprint, in which Matthew Goss surely won't take part. In fact the HTC rider abandoned the race yesterday because of some physical problems.

Hey Fede :)
RispondiEliminaYour parents can't take you on a vacation when there's no Vuelta broadcasting there!!
Oh, there was another cryptic Viga tweet... I tried to ignore it before stalking you again for translation ;)
It looked a bit silly when he came out of that corner and no one could follow his wheel and he was just riding there. But I was just enjoying some Davide on my screen.
Uhm, yes.. Vino 4ever!!!!!!!!
;)
You have to wear that Vino t-shirt now.. ;) Being such an enormous cycling fan, you should be provided with Vuelta broadcasting wherever you go.. now the only problem is: who will and can arrange that? ;) I wish you and your family a lovely holiday though with some nice weather :-)
RispondiEliminaI also thought it was a little bit suspicious that Rebellin won those races.. I don't want to think like that, but this kinda makes you think like that.. :(
The USA & Canada races become more popular every year.. I guess it's nice, but on the other hand, Europe now has to miss a lot of big riders in its big races.. But it's good that the cycling fans across the pond get more live races to go watch, they deserve that :-)
I hope to Stalk-a-Schleck-in-Quebec at one of the ProTour races taking place in Quebec City, and Montreal in September:
RispondiEliminahttp://gpcqm.ca/en/home/
If Leopard Trek do end up sending riders like Jens, and the brothers, I think it will be attributable in no small part to the accommodations. Remind me to write a thank you note to the Quebec organizers, for putting up the cyclists in a lavish hotel, for a second year in row, namely, Le Chateau Frontenac:
http://www.fairmont.com/frontenac
I wish teams would announce which riders they're sending to races, a lot sooner--some of us have Uni, and work, coming up, and have to plan our stalkings well in advance!
Fede, you must forgive the Schlecks for choosing to participate in some of the newer Pro races in North America. As the Eurosport commentator astutely pointed out, A LOT of money is being funneled into these new races, and it's hard to say no to a sponsor. This is good publicity for Trek, and in the end, there is a business side to all things, and obligations to meet.
As Marleen pointed out, cycling has been steadily gaining a following here in North America (it helps when they finally start airing races besides the Tour on tv). I think it's good for the sport to find an audience outside of Europe. *ducks from the tomatoes being violently hurled like projectiles at her head*
Besides, more ProTour races here, means I can submit another long, and unpublishable cycling report to Bananas About Bikes ;)
Enjoy your Russian lit course Fede!
@ Mar: This family holiday is pretty freaking me out, not just because of la Vuelta, but especially because we're leaving on Saturday and we won't be back before the 9th of September. And the great thing is that my university has just told me that by then I must buy a Russian Grammar Book, a Russian Exercise Book and a Russian Dictionary. Great!
RispondiEliminaDavide should really learn to tweet in an understandable way ;) However, according to my knowledge of the Italian bad words, I'd translate his tweet as: 'Fuck! I took the lead with 1.8 kms to go and then, fuck, I really didn't realise that my teammates weren't behind me'.
Your man was pissed off when he wrote that tweet, no doubts about that! ;)
However, you weren't the only one who appreciated his 'attack': my dad, the Eurosport chronists and I liked it as well!
@ Marleen: I was ready to three weeks of daily drama and excitement, but now I'll spend two of these three weeks on an Italian beach, with nothing to do but read :P
Many Rebellin lovers say that doping makes your career get shorter and that therefore Davide's victories prove that he doesn't dope anymore. But to me, his comeback still seems too good to be true... :(
PS: I must admit I'm not very impartial when I talk about Rebellin, because he still denies having made a mistake back in 2008 and because his first words after the his medals in the 2008 Olympics were: 'This medal is the proof that one can ride well even without doping'. Given how things went in the following months, I really don't trust him anymore.
@ Susan: Go stalk some cute riders also for me dear! ;)
Ahah, no wonder the European riders feel 'cuddled' when they race outside Europe! At the Tour sometimes they get rooms with bugs inside them, and in Québec they get that amazing hotel!
I think the brothers and Jensie are extremely likely to race in Canada in a few days time. In fact the Worlds aren't amongst their goals of the year and, since they're already in North America, I think they may decide to enjoy that great hotel rather than come back home ;)
Another report for BaB, yay!!! Apropos, we published Mar's report before yours because it was ready earlier. Hope you didn't mind!
The Russian course starts on the 13th September, I'm so excited for that!!
Re: new races: Figgy, throwing a tomato at you? And why? I think supporters outside Europe really deserve to see their favourite riders taking part in their home races and right now I (a spoiled European who watches 3 high-level cycling races pro year without even driving her car for more than 45 minutes) can just imagine your excitement for these new races. The non-European tifosi often are even more passionate than the European ones and they often have to face big problems (time zone, lack of broadcast, lack of news) just in order to follow their favourite riders sport. This is something I absolutely respect and a reason why I usually approve new 'exotic' (for us Europeans...) races.
RispondiEliminaMoreover, non European tifosi are good also because, as you say, cycling needs more audience. More audience = more money = long life to this sport.
Talking about these non-European races, one must also say that they always offer interesting parcourses and an interesting field of starters. In addition, riders who take part in these races are often 'cuddled' by the tifosi, the organisers and the sponsors (just take a look at that gorgeous Canadian hotel ;) and that is perfect after the pressure that journalists and other people create during the most important European races.
However, I must be sincere and admit that I don't like it when some of these new races interfere with the most important European competitions. Call me selfish or childish, but that's the truth.
I'm not talking about races like Tour Down Under, Tour de San Luìs, Tour of Oman, Tour of Qatar, Tour de Langwaki, and I'm not talking about the Canadian / Japanese races either. Simply, I'm talking about the Tour of California (which interferes with the Giro) and about this newborn Tour of Colorado. I think that making these two races interfere with a GT isn't wise at all, at least because of three reasons:
1. it doesn't do any good to the supporters (who usually choose to focus on just one race at the time).
2. it doesn't do any good to the races themselves. I mean, wouldn't it be better to have the Tour of Colorado raced at the beginning of August and the Tour of California raced in the first part of June? In that way, the organisers could have even better riders taking part in their races and the teams could get good results both in the Giro and in the Tour of Cali and both in the Vuelta and in the Tour of Colo.
3. Personally, when the Tour of California was postponed from February to May, I had the feeling that that newborn race was trying to 'arm-wrestle' with my home race. And, unfortunately, it wasn't a nice feeling. I actually don't know if the 2011 Tour of Colorado is interfering with the Vuelta just because this year the Spanish GT took place one week earlier than usual, but I'm sure that most of the Spanish supporters probably are a bit annoyed by that date choice.
Talking about Tour of California, there are many reasons why I've always hated its date change. Until 2009 in fact that competition took place in February. The following year it was moved to May (the Giro month) and the organisers said that in that way they would have had an even better group of starters. At first those words didn't seem to make sense, but then it became clear that most of the sponsors wanted their best riders to race in the US rather than in Italy. For example, in 2010 Mark Cavendish's sponsors forced him to take part in the ToC rather than in the Giro because of economical reasons. Moreover, in that same year Michael Rogers said that, to his team, the Tour of California was the second most important event of the year right after the Tour de France. A 4 year-old race more important than Liége and Roubaix, amazing! Still in 2010 then there was a direct 'fight' between ToC and the Giro, because Radioshack stated that all their best riders would have taken part in the American race, whereas the Giro team wouldn't have included any GC contender. When he discovered about that, Zomegnan (the Giro organiser) decided not to invite the Shack (which, at the time, wasn't a ProTour team) to the Italian race.
RispondiEliminaPerhaps, I dislike these new born American races also because they 'ruin' my romantic vision of cycling. According to Fangirl, in fact, cycling is the only sport where history and feelings are more important than money. Although Logic has always tried hard to make her understand that her dreamlike image of Cycledom doesn't correspond to the truth, Fangirl realised that Logic was right just when she saw Cav taking part in it the Tour of Cali rather than in the Giro just because 'the sponsors wanted so'. And now, Fangirl is going through this feeling again because Basso (who didn't do that well at the Tour) decided to go racing in the US rather than heading off to Spain in order to get a stage win in the Vuelta and save himself from a disappointing season. I think that Ivan would have actually preferred taking part in the Spanish race rather than flying overseas, but unfortunately his choice makes sense if we consider that Cannondale bikes come from the US.
Really, American races which interfere with the traditional European competitions annoy me - also because I really can't understand why they can't take place at the start of June or at the beginning of August, when there isn't so much going on. In that way, they wouldn't disturb interfere with any historical race and they would have an even better group of riders taking part in them. Moreover, they would receive a better media coverage in Europe and they would be more appreciated by many European supporters. In addition, the weather at Lake Tahoe may actually be a bit better in August than in May.
Fede, I do sympathise with your frustration about the timing of these new ProTour Races. There is something to be said about tradition, and I appreciate historicity too--I think the story of the origins of the Tour, which pitted the Drefusard editors of Le Velo, against the anti-Dreyfusard backers of L'Auto, is one of those interesting details, that makes the European races kind of incomparable.
RispondiEliminaYou would think that as a tennis fan, that it would be impossible for me to romanticise sport. I'm accustomed to seeing sponsors' logos strewn all over stadiums, with tournaments named after insurance companies. Yet, I still see tennis as the last vestige of gladiatorial combat, and when I see Roger Federer's lithe, elegant movements on a court--it reminds me of why I enjoy the sport.
Having watched the Giro this year, I can understand your pride in your home race--Italy is beautiful, and Grand Tours are meant to showcase their host country. Another thing to consider, is that these races are designed to promote tourism in lesser known regions. So I can understand why--from an Italian perspective certainly--running fledgling Pro Races against a showcase tour like the Giro, would seem like an affront.
Fede, I barely understand cycling, it's just deplorable, and I wouldn't even call what I wrote a report! I was just relieved that you didn't return it as totally unacceptable. I would be deeply flattered if my half-insane ramblings made it to Bananas About Bikes.
The Chateau Frontenac actually offers guided tours to the public:
http://www.tourschateau.ca/regular_tours.php
Here, I will refrain from laughing maniacally at the prospect of seeing Jean Vois (aka Jens Voigt) sipping coffee, or getting stuck in an elevator. No, wait... *tries to find a paper bag into which to laugh, so as not to burst* HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Watching the Quebec races last year on television, I will say that Canadians are generally quite reserved, and polite. I didn’t see too many supporters running alongside cyclists, and I definitely did not see the gluteus maximus grabbing phenomenon, that seems to be an endemic feature of the Amgen :P I suppose it helps that there were barriers for much of the route, and being in its inaugural year, I’m going to assume that the more colourful supporters were too drunk to read a calendar properly.
Try to enjoy your family holidays, Fede! If you're headed for an aiport, unless you have a Wi-Fi device, just forget about hearing cycling news there. The departure gates at Montreal's Trudeau airport had TV screens everywhere, but maddeningly, all of them were on some kind of airport channel. It drove me nuts!
Remember that EBIL! Rebellin stole Liege podium spot from Andy in 2008, thus preventing both Schlecks from going 2-3 like in, well, 2011 Tour.
RispondiElimina@ Susan: I was afraid of coming across like a narrow-minded supporter with that comment, but luckily you understood what I meant. There is a strong connection between European people and their home-races, but many American sponsors and race organisers seem unable to understand it. There's a reason why the Frenchmen close the center of Paris on the last day of the Tour, there's a reason why people want the Tour of Flanders to be recognised by the UNESCO, there's a reason why the most popular beach-game for Italian children is called 'Il Giro d'Italia'. Cycling plays an important role in the history of different countries and this is something that some people unfortunately seem unable to value.
RispondiEliminaAs an Italian, I can't obviously be impartial when I face a topic like this, because here in my country cycling is one of the most loved sports. To me, watching my hometown hosting the start of a Giro stage this year was a honour, and it was flattering to know that those images would have been broadcasted all over the world.
Talking about romantic sports: I started following cycling after that a big scandal involved the most important Italian football teams. When I stopped following soccer and I discovered how beautiful cycling is, I felt as if I had just found my own Eden. No athletes pretending being hurt in order to get a penalty, no supporters fighting with each other, no footballers betraying their supporters, no people striking against the new taxes... At first Cycledom looked like an alien planet to me!
'BaB' is a blog made by some cycling fans, for other cycling fans to enjoy. We don't look for stories in which people show the world that they have great knowledge of cycling , but we simply search stories that convey the festal atmosphere of cycling races and that can catch the poetic and funny side of this amazing sport. And, as you can see, your post matched all these requirements ;)
I can totally imagine myself taking part in one of those guided tours and falling in love with the guide disguised as 'client businessman'. It would be so typical of me!!
Jean Vois is likely to race Tour of Britain in September, but los Schlecks are extremely likely to race in Québec. Stalk them also for me!!! ;)
LOL at 'the more colourful supporters were too drunk to read a calendar properly'!!
Actually, I've started to believe that the gluteus maximus grabbing phenomenon is an exclusive habit of Californian supporters: I never spotted it anywhere else!
My dad has told me that, according to our camping's website, the tv in our little house should include Eurosport amongst its channels. I so hope he's right!!
Btw, Vuelta coverage or not, I'll do my best in order to enjoy my last holiday before the beginning of university - I'm experiencing the famous 'calm before the storm' phase in these days!!
@ Sansen: EBIL! Rebellin also prevented Andy from enjoying a victory in 2009 Fleche Wallonne! D: