Hear ye, hear ye- and be part of this blogger's joy: miss Fede has no homeworks for tomorrow (it's the first time since September that I can write this sentence!!) and so she's going to write a new random post. Happiness!
So, first of all, let's talk a bit about Team Luxembourg. Or whatever its name will be. In fact, yesterday the team's name mistery was apparently solved by our dear Jakob Fuglsang, who told Cyclingnews that the new squadra was going to be called 'Team Leopard'. Moreover, he added that the team kit should have a classical design and should also have a big leopard printed on it.
This news had actually got me in despair, since the idea of screaming 'Go go Leopards!' to my favourite riders for the next 4 years doesn't actually appeal that much to me. About the leopard on the kit, well, I would have bet they would have printed the Luxembourg lion on it, instead I was wrong. How strange.
Btw this morning Brian Nygaard denied the news that Jakob had given yesterday and he said that, to know the true name of the team, we'll have to wait until the 5th of January. Now, let's reflect a bit about this.
So, first of all, let's talk a bit about Team Luxembourg. Or whatever its name will be. In fact, yesterday the team's name mistery was apparently solved by our dear Jakob Fuglsang, who told Cyclingnews that the new squadra was going to be called 'Team Leopard'. Moreover, he added that the team kit should have a classical design and should also have a big leopard printed on it.
This news had actually got me in despair, since the idea of screaming 'Go go Leopards!' to my favourite riders for the next 4 years doesn't actually appeal that much to me. About the leopard on the kit, well, I would have bet they would have printed the Luxembourg lion on it, instead I was wrong. How strange.
Btw this morning Brian Nygaard denied the news that Jakob had given yesterday and he said that, to know the true name of the team, we'll have to wait until the 5th of January. Now, let's reflect a bit about this.
Some weeks ago, Nygaard had already said that the team wasn't going to be called 'Team Leopard'. Therefore, after reading Fuglsang's words, me was a bit sceptical about them and that's why I didn't publish the news immediately. In fact, Nygaard has denied it earlier today.
But still, me smells a rat about this story. I mean: Jakob seems an intelligent guy, so I don't think he said that name, 'Team Leopard', completely by chance. Moreover, me was a bit disturbed by Nygaard's reaction. In fact not only did he deny the news immediately, but he also seemed a bit angry on his Twitter. In fact there he said it was time people stopped all these speculation about the team's name and he added that we have to wait until the 5th of January if we want to know more about the team.
The little problem is that, unfortunately, the day of the team presentation I will be in Austria, with no Internet connection. Does this mean that I'll have to wait until the 10th of January just to know the name of m favourite riders' team and what their new kits will look like? Gosh, don't people at team Lux realise that we've been waiting for these details since August?
I had already got fed up by this 'secret-mania' in September, so you can imagine how I feel about it right now. And the funny thing is that Nygaard also got angry at those who speculate about the new name of the team. Ask yourself some questions, dear.
Still talking about the secret-mania: everyone talked about Crans Montana's training camp in a very happy and entusiasthic way, but no one mentioned that O'Grady crashed while skiing and broke two ribs (http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ogrady-set-for-tour-down-under-in-spite-of-skiing-accident ). Now, if I'm on a training camp and one of the people who are there with me breaks 2 ribs while skiing, I wouldn't probably talk about said training camp in very euphoric terms. But still, guys at team Lux didn't mention O'Grady's injury until yesterday. And, still talking about that training camp, I haven't seen any 'official' picture from it yet.
Did I miss something or are the only pictures of the training camps the ones that the riders posted on Twitter? Is someone else fed up by this secret-mania, or is it just a product of my impatient imagination?
Anyway, back to the name's mistery, Frank Schleck has recently given an interview to Tageblatt (which appeared also on Cyclingnews) in which he said: ”I like 'Team Lëtzebuerg' (as a new name for the team)”. I have to admit I like it too, although almost everything is better than team Leopard. I mean, leopards are cute (see pic below), but I just can't imagine to see my favourite riders being called 'leopards' in every single race of next year. That would be a bit disturbing, imo.
Anyway, back to the name's mistery, Frank Schleck has recently given an interview to Tageblatt (which appeared also on Cyclingnews) in which he said: ”I like 'Team Lëtzebuerg' (as a new name for the team)”. I have to admit I like it too, although almost everything is better than team Leopard. I mean, leopards are cute (see pic below), but I just can't imagine to see my favourite riders being called 'leopards' in every single race of next year. That would be a bit disturbing, imo.
On http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/frank-schleck-eager-for-2011-season-with-number-one-team , Frank also talked about the new team in a very entusiasthic way. He also said that Linus Gerdemann is a nice guy. This is funny, since Chris Anker Sorensen actually can't stand poor Linus and also said that, in the peloton, Gerdemann hasn't got so many friends.In the interview Frank also said: “We can't wait until things finally start and we can finally do what which we do best – that is, ride races.” I can't wait either!
SAXO BANK NEWS...
Talking about the other team, Saxo Bank, on http://www.lessentiel.lu/fr/news/dossier/%20newsletter/story/28605173 there's a nice interview with Laurent Didier, one of the riders who didn't follow los Schlecks in their new team. This is actually a bit strange, since Laurent is Luxembourgian and Frank Schleck praised his skills last year.
Talking about the training camp in Fuerteventura, Laurent said that everything went well - in other words, no one broke anything. Didier also said that at first the Spaniards had remained a bit on their own, while in the following days he spent a lot of time with Navarro. The Luxembourgian also claimed that the training camp was also a good chance to practise English. Considering that I need to practise my spoken English too, can I join you in your next training camp too? I'm small and tidy! ;)
Talking about los Schleck brothers, Laurent said that they're good friends of his, but that he's paid by Saxo Bank and so he's riding for them also in 2011. He also adds that he had been in contact with Kim Andersen, but then Riis didn't want him to leave the team and so he decided to respect his contract. 'This is normal when you're a pro cyclist', said Laurent, who ended the interview by saying that he doesn't want to talk about a possible team change in 2012 yet.
Still talking about Saxo Bank's training camp, Chris Anker Sorensen wrote a very funny (as usual) post about it. Here's a little translation of it.
'Morkov and I chatted about the fact that we were happy that, during this camp, we did not have to sleep on some mountains with BS in a rainy weather. It goes without saying that this year's team building was very different from the survival camps with BS. I would say that both camps have their advantages and I can't actually decide what the best training camp method is (...)', Chris wrote about the survival camps.
Then he talked about the different things he did during this year camp. Talking about the strange human pyramids and things like that, he said: 'We may use some of the things we have learned in the training camp during the presentations of some of the 2011 races . For example, we could build a human pyramid, a thing on which we are quite keen now. One thing that none of us really liked instead was kitesurfing. We all went down like flies. I kept on checking whether my falling teammates were going to land on my head (ndt: there may be something wrong in this sentence, since Google Translater translates it in a very strange way :P). Surfing was much better, I really liked it and I think I could do it again. However I was a little annoyed by the fact that, between all the clips in which I was surfing perfectly, TV2 chose to broadcast one of the few ones in which I was having some troubles'.
Then Chris said something about being a 'culture bearer' of Cycling. Or, at least, that's what Google said that Chris wrote. Shall I trust the damn thing or not? Mistery.
Then Chris said: "Also this year we played some tennis (...). Our doubles matches Vandborg / Chris Anker vs. Morkov / Nicki always ended up with a victory for Vandborg and me, mainly because of Brian's skills. If a sport consisting of tennis, badminton, table tennis and cycling existed, Vandborg would be a champion in it".
The guys also had apnea lessons during the training camp and Chris wrote: "I started the training as the absolute worst hold breather, in fierce competition with our Pole Jaroslaw. In fact, we got an impressive result of 15 and 16 seconds in the first attempt we did of holding our breathes. After three days of training however I improved my performances and could hold my breath for 1:45. I could have probably reached the goal of the 2 min, if JJ and I hadn't swum into each other".
Surprisingly, Chris ends his post by wishing everyone a merry Santa Lucia. This is the proof that Chris knows what Santa Lucia is - and this makes me like him even more.
However, I've already talked too much for today. So here I close this random post too.
PS: I obviously offer my condolences to the family of Aldo Sassi. He was a great man, a 'living biologic passport', as Pastonesi called him on today's Gazzetta, and cycling has lost a great personality after his death. Rest in peace Aldo.

Hello Kitty!!! That's how fangirls will scream. I am joking ;) But I'm going to call them "kizie-mizie":D (tenderly about cats), you can be certain of it.
RispondiEliminaYesterday I still thought whether they had got the consent to official statements or whether some clever journalist had found the 'weak point' and 'weak point' had spilled the beans. Today I already know. Most probably there will be something with leopard: in the name or on the jerseys or somewhere. But we will be sure only in January. All these secrets are already a bit tiring but it looks like they signed such agreements so there's no choice now. I only hope that poor Jakob won't have/hasn't lots of trouble.
Broken Stuart's ribs didn't have to affect moods negatively at all. Notice that there are only broken ribs and only one person. When I heard about this camp and skiing I thought at once that we wouldn't strat full composition next season. So actually they surprised me positively.
I agree - the secrecy mania is getting a little tiring, especially because so far everyone has pretty much known the contents of all the big announcements in advance. I don't think Stuey's broken ribs should have barred the team from having a good time at Crans Montana, but it is a little strange that it wasn't mentioned. It's actually a similar situation to Saxo - there everyone looked almost too happy in the photos (especially when some of the activities looked decidedly un-fun), Team Lux are a little too euphoric in their praise of the team and camp on twitter. You can have a good time and tell your followers about it without sounding like the press-officer said, "All right boys, when you get home you all need to get on twitter and tell the world about the Best Camp Ever!"
RispondiEliminaBTW, I think Laurent Didier had to stay at Saxo, because as a neo-pro he was on a two year contract. It's the same as the situation with Richie Porte, who was strongly linked to Sky but is also staying at Saxo for another year. So maybe Laurent will be at Team Letzeburg-Leopards in 2012. I think the other Luxembourgish pro, Ben Gastauer, probably has a similar situation at AG2R.
Hmm I was just thinking.. Team AnnoyingMysteryToBeSolvedPlease had a clothing fit. And after that Jakob said there´s the Leopard logo on the kit. So I tend to believe him. Or do they fit clothes without putting any kit on? What if the name is Team Letzebuerg-Leopard. Than we can scream: Lèlè!! Go Lèlè!! That's ugly!
RispondiEliminaMost of you (if not all!) know that Jakob is my favourite. So this latest story has had me going from amused to slightly annoyed to defensive, and back again! It is written that he said that 'Leopard' is on the jersey... well of course, Leopard True Racing is the management company, no? Also Jakob apparently said that the name will be Team Leopard 'for now'... again we could perhaps put this down to the same reason as above. You may notice I use the term apparently... I am often skeptical about news stories like this, especially when it seems like they don't have all that much information to go on in the first place! But now that Nygaard has come out and denied it, well it's making me wonder if the whole thing wasn't just a set-up to keep the team in the press! You can't say they don't know good marketing! Anyway, whatevs! We only have 3(ish) weeks before we know for sure anyways right? Hurry up Jan 6th!! :)
RispondiEliminaRe Stuey - he's tough! Maybe he just wanted to get checked out by his own doctor before the news went public? And yeah, I think some broken ribs from 1 rider at a camp where skiing was on the agenda is pretty good considering! It doesn't mean the camp still wasn't heaps of fun :)
@Ania lol about the 'weak point'! I do wonder how hard Jakob may have had to work to suppress that gorgeous grin of his when (allegedly) spilling the beans! :P
@Fede Yay no homework!! Are you on twitter too, or just check the rider's profiles?? And I don't think there have been any official photos of the team camp, only those tweeted by some riders :)
@Mar, thanks again for the photo of Jakob ;) And I like "Go Lele!!" It almost sounds like you're cheering for me! hahaha
@ Ania: Lol about the Hello Kitty part! Unfortunately I think I'd never be able to pop up in front of, say, O'Grady or Voigt at a race and scream 'Hello Kitty!' at them.
RispondiEliminaIf I did a thing like that, I'm afraid I could either become one of their favourite topics to discuss at dinner or end up in a mental hospital. But still, in the secret of my living room, I could free Fangirl and let her scream 'Hello Kitty' in a wild way during races. That would be a good idea :)
I also hope that Jakob won't have troubles because of this story. And I'm afraid that the riders have signed a 'I'm not going to reveal anything to the evil journalists!' deal together with their contracts. Then, an evil journalist arrived and Jakob fell in his trap...
However I've come to the conclusion that, if in January we discover that 'Team Leopard' will be the true name of the team, me could become pretty angry.
I probably exaggerated the part about Stuey and his broken ribs. In fact now that I've thought about it more carefully I've started to support Leela's theory about it (Stuey didn't go to the hospital immediately and so he knew about the injury just after the camp). It is a possibility,isn't it?
Skiing is actually pretty dangerous, but I've heard that the Schleck brothers once went skiing in the middle of the season because Riis had told them that skiing would have been good to relax themselves and keep fit at the same time. Moreover, it is a good way to have fun- as long as you don't crash badly, of course.
@ Danielle: I also had the feeling that both Saxo Bank and Team Lux's camps were a bit staged. SB guys looked too entusiasthic as they built human pyramids, while on the other hand it looked as if the TL boys absolutely wanted to give the impression that this year camp was the best one of their lives. I don't doubt it, but their entusiasthic messages about it on Twitter didn't look very natural to me anyway. And I agree about the obviousness of the news that TL has given out officially so far. That's another reason why I find their behaviour a bit annoying.
I also think that Laurent and Gastauer's situations are probably similar. Btw I really liked Didier's attitude.Porte's manager had a little argument with Riis because Richie apparently wanted to leave the team, Laurent instead decided to respect his contract without making a drama out of it. Well done boy.
@ Mar: I tend to believe Jakob too, so I expect the team's kit to have a leopard printed on it. Hopefully it won't be a little cuddly leopard like the one I posted above, otherwise people would surely make fun of it.
RispondiEliminaHowever I think they had fit clothing without trying the official kit on- apparently, they just saw some paintings of it. Let's hope Jakob liked them- he's got a good fashion sense, so I think he'd never approve a team's kit like Footon Servetto's 2010 one.
'Go Lèlé'...Terribly ugly. So ugly that it makes me feel cold shivers running down my spine. It would remind me too much of Emanuele (Lele) Sella, so I'd never accept to scream something like that at a cycling race!
@ Leela: Guys at Team Unnamed surely know how to make a good marketing, you're totally right about it. And I can understand you going from an 'amused' to 'defensive' mood. You may be right in saying that this is just a way to keep the team in the press, since it seems a bit strange that Jakob has made a mistake with telling the name of the team he's going to run for next year. Or perhaps they don't have any official information about it either.
I can't wait for the 10th, ehm, the 6th of January either. Then we'll finally be able to see that damned kit and know the team's name.
I'm not on Twitter- not yet, at least. I'm actually considering to join it too, but I still haven't made up my mind about it. I'll probably take a decision in the next days- and I'll tell it if I decide to get myself a Twitter profile.
Uff, Fangirl needs to see some official photos of the brothers skiing!! She's missing road cycling races so much in these days!
Team Leopard or Team ???, that's the question ;) They sure know how to get us more curious every day.. thanks to Mr. Fuglsang as well haha :D
RispondiEliminaThat's a coincidence, we just wrote a blog about 'this time of year' and 'missing the races'.. only one month 'till the Tour Down Under ;)
I've just read the post on your blog and I've found it very nice: I agreed with everything you said :)
RispondiEliminaHowever, as far as I'm concerned, not only do I draw little bikes on pieces of paper at this time of the year: I also write the names of the Russian riders in Cyrillic all over my school desk...
I actually wish it was already March. Because it's true that the Tour Down Under starts in January together with other many races, but here in Italy it is very hard to find broadcasts of those races at a decent time of the day. Actually, the first races to be broadcasted here in Italy are Paris-Nice and Tirreno-Adriatico, so I have to wait almost 3 months for that! :( Let's hope the next 3 months will pass rapidly!!
Thank you! The names of the Russian riders in Cyrillic? Wow, you can do that? Cool!
RispondiEliminaYes, Tour Down Under is mostly just summaries. We can watch Belgium television, so for us it starts 2 weeks earlier than you, with Omloop Het Nieuwsblad and Kuurne-Brussel-Kuurne :) The spring classics are always so much fun to watch.. we cannot wait either!
Muhahahaha! :P Sorry, but finally I will get to watch some cycling at a decent hour with TDU!! You lot get it easy over there in Europe for the rest of the year! ;)
RispondiEliminaOn a completely different tangent to this post (or maybe not?) - can I just say that I completely dislike the new HTC kit? So BORING! A
RispondiElimina@ Marleen: last year I went to a Russian course and the only thing I remember from it is the Cyrillic aphabet. That's why I can write the names of the Russian riders in Cyrillic ;) It's actually a very good way to make time pass faster during history hours at school.
RispondiEliminaOh, and this morning I discovered that my science book mentions Greg Lemond at the beginning of the chapter about Cellular Respiration. After the discovery, I obviously drew a big bike next to Greg's name ;)
@ Leela: I've often wondered at what time of the day you Aussies watch cycling races. During the night? In the morning? I really have no clue (shame on me for my ignorance) :S
TDU must be a great opportunity to see cycling at a decent time for you.
Are the riders going to ride in the area where you live?
@ A: Don't worry if you go on a different tangent, A. After all, it is a random blog, isn't it? ;)
I also find HTC's new kit (http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/htc-highroad-unveils-2011-jersey-design ) very boring, but I actually prefer it to last year's one. Imo the new one is too white - and I don't like the national champion jerseys either.
@ Leela (and everyone else who might be interested): I decided to join Twitter too, although I don't like it very much. My profile is on http://twitter.com/FedeYeah_92
RispondiEliminaHaha, that's awesome! And so cool that your science book mentions Greg Lemond.. :)
RispondiEliminaI started following you on Twitter! I'm @marleen888 :)
It was a nice surprise to come across his name during a boring science lesson. That fact definitely woke me up ;)
RispondiEliminaI've started following you too on Twitter, although I'm not very good at using it yet... ;)
whoops I never saw your question here @Fede, sorry! :)
RispondiEliminaUmmm well for the TDF coverage usually starts at 11pm and we stay up to watch it for a couple of hours. Other races might be later. For example, I stayed up until 3am to watch Lombardia (and Jakob)! I've done all-nighters for tennis though and wouldn't think twice to do it for cycling, depending on the race!
TDU unfortunately does not come past my city (actually it is held in a different state altogether). But I will catch up with some of the highlights during the evenings I hope (I'll be at the tennis during the day that week!). We did have the MTB World Championships here (Canberra) last year (I think it was last year now) and I went to a day of that, which was fun!
TDF coverage starting at 11 pm? Lombardy ending at 3 am? Gosh, being a cycling supporter in Australia is veeery tough! Therefore, chapeau to you and all the other Aussies who follow cycling in spite of everything!
RispondiEliminaI once stayed up until 2 am to watch Frank's winning a Tour of California stage in 2009, but I've never stayed up until 3 am to watch a cycling race. If I had to do something like that, I would probably have to drink a lot of coffee - otherwise, I'd probably fall asleep at 1.30 am (unless there was someone with me that kept on disturbing me in order to keep me awake :P)