giovedì 23 dicembre 2010

2010 Cycling Awards decided by moi plus some radom links:

So ladies, here I am again after our virtual party. I didn't post any news over the last days, therefore here you have some interesting links:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/schlecks-to-be-ambassadors-for-special-olympics-in-luxembourg : not only are they cool and good-looking, the Schleck brothers are also golden-hearted boys (did we have any doubt about this?). In fact Frank and Andy presented a check for 7000 euros to the sport federation for people with intellectual disabilities. Didier, Kirchen and Serge Waldbillig presented a check for 5000 euros too (the link also contains some clues about team Luxembourg's cars which, as we already know, will be Mercedes).
http://www.team-saxobank.com/ny_news.asp?n_id=3007 : the new season is finally beginning and Richie Porte is going to ride TDU together with N.Sorensen, Tanner, Vandborg, JJ and Sebastian Haedo and Cooke. On this link you have a nice interview with him (and if you go to the right you can also book a signed copy of Riis' biography...).
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/geox-and-tmc-threaten-to-quit-cycling : what a bad story. Don't Geox and Tmc realise that, if they leave cycling now, their image could suffer some bad blows between cycling supporters?
http://www.team-saxobank.com/ny_news.asp?n_id=3008 : here you have a interview with Chris Sorensen, who has recently written in his blog that he's not going to take part in 2011 Giro d'Italia. Right now, I'm a disappointed Fangirl.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/breschel-voted-danish-rider-of-the-year : Yes dear fangirls, over the last days the 'Best 2010 rider of the year award' has been held in Denmark. The prize was won by Matti Breschel (as predictable), who had a very funny comment on it(“I've always thought that this event was deeply corrupt, but now I have faith in it again").
Matti won in front of Chris Anker Sorensen, Jakob Fuglsang, Alex Rasmussen and Lasse Norman Hansen.

Since the end of the year is 'award time' almost everywhere, however, miss Fede's now going to give her own 2010 cycling awards. Here they are:

Best performance: Fabian Cancellara's Parix-Roubaix victory. Simply amazing.
Best Team: Liquigas, Astana or Saxo Bank? That is the question. Saxo riders won Flanders, Roubaix, the TT World Championship and one of them was second in the Tour. On the other hand, Liquigas won Giro d'Italia and Vuelta a Espana. Astana instead won the Tour and Liége. However, considering that the Tour and the Classics didn't go that well for Liquigas, that Astana didn't win anything at the Worlds, and that SB also got stage victories at the Giro (Richie Porte even won the Maglia Rosa), I think I'll go for Saxo Bank.
Best sprinter: Cavendish. When he's fine, he's unbeatable. Special mentions also goes to Yahueni Hutarovich for winning a Vuelta stage in a very surprising way, to Freire for winning Sanremo and making my race prediction come true, and to Petacchi for winning a great stage and the green jersey at the Tour.
Best TT rider: Cancellara (did anyone have doubts about this?)
Best new rider: Richie Porte. He rode an amazing Giro and showed that he has a bright future in Grand Tours. A mention also goes to Peter Sagan, great revelation of the first part of the year.
Most emotional moment of the year: imo there have been many emotional days this year. For example, when Chris Soensen won the Giro stage on Terminillo. However, I think the most emotional moment of the year was Andy Schleck's victory in Morzine-Avoriaz. That day I screamed as if I was mad!
Rider to watch in 2011: Richie Porte, of course. Also Peter Sagan has showed great things this year, just like Craig Lewis, Teejay Van Garderen, Sacha Modolo and Geraint Thomas. Attention also to Taylor Phinney.
Craziest moment of the year: The 60 men breakaway at the Giro, with everyone blaming everyone on what had happened, Vinokourov trembling in the rain, Chris Sorensen finding a random excuse for what had happened and Savoldelli transforming himself in Vinokourov's personal psychologist.
Most exciting Grand Tour of the year: Giro d'Italia. From the Dutch roads to l'Arena di Verona, going through Gavia's snow, Montalcino's mud and L'Aquila's stage, the Giro had a daily surprise for everyone who followed it (those surprises include Chris Sorensen going 'round with a Inter scarf in his hands the morning of the Zoncolan's stage).
Most exciting one day race of the year: the Worlds in Melbourne. Once again, I screamed as if I was mad when I saw that Hushovd had passed Breschel.
Worst moment of the year for Fangirl: Andy Schleck's chain pop on Port du Balés. In that moment I could have smashed my own tv. Then I managed to calm down, but Contador's stupid excuse had the power of making me get angry again.
Best chronist of the year: Savoldelli, of course. His Bergamask accent has become a symbol of this year Giro, just like his 'A Voi!' sentence. Moreover, he kept in contact with Rai during the Tonale stage by using his mobile phone and he commented what was happening through that. A genius.
Worst polemic of the year: there have been a lot of polemics over the last months. Beergate and Chaingate were probably the biggest here in the Blogosphere, but I think that the polemic that someone created with Cancellara ('You have an engine in your bike!') was probably the worst.
Best race I saw live this year: Tonale stage of the Giro (although I managed to meet Menchov at Tour of Lombardy, and not at the Giro).
Best brothers du peloton: and you expect me to give you an unpredictable answer? Muahahaha.
Best eyebrows du peloton: Jakob Fuglsang, of course. However, Logic doesn't accept the idea that those eyebrows have that natural shape.
Most unlucky rider of the year: For the second year in a row, this award goes to poor Robert Gesink for what happened to him at the end of the season.
Worst supporters of the year: those who booed at Vinokourov in Liége. If the system allows doped riders to come back racing after a disqualification, it doesn't make sense to boo at them as soon as they start winning important races again.

So, these are my random 2010 awards. You're free to create new categories or/and give me your opinions about my decisions, of course.
Considering that I'm not going to write anything new before of Christmas, I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a nice holiday break :D
(Pic by Scanpix).

11 commenti:

  1. Question:
    Best smile du peloton?
    ...

    Mwuahaha ;)

    RispondiElimina
  2. Veeery tricky question ;)
    I think the nominees for the prize are Jakob, Andy and Frank (I'm a very unpredictable girl, aren't I? :P) and that my vote would probably go to Andy. Jakob has a 'millon dollar smile', I agree, but smiling Andy is sooo cute!! <3

    RispondiElimina
  3. Question: What was your most exciting moment/stage at TdF?

    RispondiElimina
  4. It may sound strange, but for me the most exciting moment of this year Tour was the last TT, when Andy was the virtual yellow jersey with some seconds of advantage on Contador. In that moment I could have fainted!

    RispondiElimina
  5. I kind of agree with you. I also thought for about a quarter of an hour that it could be done and felt so very excited and happy, but then I got a phonecall from a very irritating lady from the USA with whom I had to speak for about 5 minutes and to make all things worse, my husband (who's not interested in cycling) started to try to fix a very small leakage in the kitchen, blew it and was nagging me sick to come and help him to fix it. I refused, but all those things made me feel so bad and mad, that I would have loved to push Bertie from his bike and kick his a..
    But maybe my personal most exciting moment was in Rotterdam, the prologue, when after a long day walking and rainy circumstances, I just by accident, ended up in front. I mean completely in front the Saxo bank coach and and they were just a meter or 2 before my nose, warming up and looking around...

    RispondiElimina
  6. I agree with a lot of your choices.. for example, I also think that the Giro d'Italia has been the most exciting grand tour this year! Haha, best brothers du peloton.. perhaps the Feillu brothers? ;) Nooo, the Schlecks! :P Also, the worst supporters of the year, very good choice.. I couldn't understand either why they booed. It has no use, then you can boo the whole year, 'cause you never know when someone is clean or not, you just have to have faith, otherwise procycling might as well stop right away.

    There were so many great moments this year for me.. especially the races I visited, it's always great to watch it all up close. Barbara, I was also there at the Tour and I've also been at the Saxo Bus where I saw Fränk and Andy ;) For me, the Giro d'Italia was the most special race, especially the stage from Amsterdam to Middelburg, because we got such a good place at the start, between the start of the stage and the podium where they had to sign, so we saw almost everyone that was in this year's Giro! ;) Yep, 2010 was an amazing cycling year! :)

    RispondiElimina
  7. You both saw Andy and Frank in Amsterdam? Lucky you!
    Now that I think of it, I actually realise that this year I have never seen the Schleck brothers live (*tries to hide her head in the sand, without succeeding*). And I dare to call myself a Fangirl,pfh.

    @ Barbara: it is so annoying when people disturb you in the middle of an importance race! During this year Amstel, for example, my sister came up to me because she needed help with her homeworks. There were just 10 kms to go and you can't imagine how angry I got.
    Talking about my personal most exciting moment, I think it was in Como, when I asked Menchov whether I could take a picture of him with me. I was very embarassed, but he behaved in a very nice way and he even understood me when I talked in Spanish! A great moment, definitely.
    Unfortunately this year I was always unlucky when I went to SB bus.At Lombardy Tour it was raining cats and dogs and the riders were barred inside it, at the Giro stage in Verona no one was there, at the Tonale stage I couldn't go to the bus zone because my parents didn't want to be trapped in the post-stage trafic queue...But it was an amazing year anyway.After all,apart from los Schlecks, there are many other great riders in the peloton ;)

    @ Marleen: the Schlecks are the best brothers of the peloton! That's obvious ;)
    I also enjoyed watching the Giro live this year. On Tonale it was just great- Simoni's last breakaway, Basso with the pink jersey,me cursing the supporter near me... In Verona then I saw every single rider that had managed to end the Giro. It was great to scream the riders' names while they were riding past me and to clap my hands at them. They deserved it so much!
    Moreover, I ran into Vinokourov by chance after the race ('Dad, isn't that VINO?!?') and Larsson won the stage. Ah, these great memories...
    I really can't wait for the season to start again.I need to watch a cycling race LIVE!!!

    RispondiElimina
  8. Yes, a lot of memories about cycling this last year.
    I also was at the prologue finish of the Giro in Amsterdam. It was very special, but for me it wasn't so exciting as the prologue of the TdF in Rotterdam. How could that be? :)

    @Marleen, maybe/probably we were there on the same time? I also saw, among others, Fabian Cancellara and after the warming ups I went to the zone where the riders come after they hit the finish line and I could have touched them all, but refrained from that out of respect. Only Lance, didn't go there. Right after the finish line he disappeared with police on horses.

    RispondiElimina
  9. Good old Lance! Always so approachable with supporters!

    RispondiElimina
  10. @Barbara, Yes, maybe we were. I don't think I saw Fabian, I did see Stuart O'Grady and Jakob Fuglsang.. but we were moving from bus to bus all the time ;)

    Lance, haha, yeah, that was quite funny actually! You could tell where Lance was, because of the bunch of people (photographers, fans) that were running after him.. oh my, unbelievable. The next day, Rotterdam-Bruxelles, we got to see him at the start and make a photo of him.. I'm not a fan, but that was quite special, to see the man that won the Tour 7 times :)

    @Fede It's almost 2011!! =D Then just a couple of weeks 'till the Spring classics ;)

    RispondiElimina
  11. I also know that feeling about Armstrong.
    I remember spotting him in the peloton during the 2009 Bergamo stage of the Giro and I remember I was very proud about it.
    Although he isn't one of my favourite cyclists, it is always special to see a man who's ruled the Tour for 7 long years.

    Ah, the Spring classics! Milan-Sanremo, Flanders, Roubaix, Amstel, Fleche, Liége... I love them all and I can't wait for March to arrive!

    RispondiElimina