To your unbelievable joy, the magic moment has finally arrived: the magic moment in which miss Fede, ignoring the fact she has to read the 600 pages of 'Promessi Sposi' before of Wednesday, has finally decided to publish on this blog the pictures she took during this year Giro d'Italia.
For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about,here's a little resume: this year I went to see 3 stages of the Giro live (you can find the description of them on http://fede-myblog92.blogspot.com/2010/06/fangirl-at-giro-part-1-brescia-aprica.html , http://fede-myblog92.blogspot.com/2010/06/fangirl-at-giro-part-2-passo-del-tonale.html and http://fede-myblog92.blogspot.com/2010/06/fangirl-at-giropart-3-verona-verona.html ). Unfortunately, when I wrote those posts my computer had just broken down, so I had to wait a lot before of being able to upload the pictures on the computer. When I finally succeeded in doing that, however, I simply forgot about the pictures. Yesterday however I received the news that Bergamo is going to host a Giro d'Italia stage next year (yayyyy!) and that reminded me of the existence of those pictures, that here I finally publish. Btw, before of enjoying them, here are two random news.
FIRST NEWS: According to Jakob Fuglsang, los Schlecks are heading to Curaçao also this year.
SECOND NEWS: I know what Torri said about cycling yesterday ('all cyclists are doped') and my point of view about this is: in cycling there are many dopers because only in cycling you have such modern tests.
And here we go with the pictures (the quality isn't very good, but I'm not a photographer...)!!!
FIRST DAY: APRICA STAGE
Saying that I went to see the Aprica stage perhaps is an exaggeration, since I actually came across the riders in Edolo, while they were heading to l'Aprica and I was heading to my hotel on Passo del Tonale, by accident.In fact the familiar who had to check the riders' parcours had completely forgotten about this task of theirs, so we were very surprised when we got the news that we couldn't drive towards Tonale before of 6 pm because of the Giro. 'But the Tonale stage is tomorrow!', one of us said. 'Yes, but they're riding here also today', a policeman answered.
For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about,here's a little resume: this year I went to see 3 stages of the Giro live (you can find the description of them on http://fede-myblog92.blogspot.com/2010/06/fangirl-at-giro-part-1-brescia-aprica.html , http://fede-myblog92.blogspot.com/2010/06/fangirl-at-giro-part-2-passo-del-tonale.html and http://fede-myblog92.blogspot.com/2010/06/fangirl-at-giropart-3-verona-verona.html ). Unfortunately, when I wrote those posts my computer had just broken down, so I had to wait a lot before of being able to upload the pictures on the computer. When I finally succeeded in doing that, however, I simply forgot about the pictures. Yesterday however I received the news that Bergamo is going to host a Giro d'Italia stage next year (yayyyy!) and that reminded me of the existence of those pictures, that here I finally publish. Btw, before of enjoying them, here are two random news.
FIRST NEWS: According to Jakob Fuglsang, los Schlecks are heading to Curaçao also this year.
SECOND NEWS: I know what Torri said about cycling yesterday ('all cyclists are doped') and my point of view about this is: in cycling there are many dopers because only in cycling you have such modern tests.
And here we go with the pictures (the quality isn't very good, but I'm not a photographer...)!!!
FIRST DAY: APRICA STAGE
Saying that I went to see the Aprica stage perhaps is an exaggeration, since I actually came across the riders in Edolo, while they were heading to l'Aprica and I was heading to my hotel on Passo del Tonale, by accident.In fact the familiar who had to check the riders' parcours had completely forgotten about this task of theirs, so we were very surprised when we got the news that we couldn't drive towards Tonale before of 6 pm because of the Giro. 'But the Tonale stage is tomorrow!', one of us said. 'Yes, but they're riding here also today', a policeman answered.
My surprise was actually so big that I didn't take any picture of the rider on that day. But still, when I finally got to my hotel, I started to take lots of pictures. That wonderful evening, the atmosphere on Passo del Tonale was cold, quiet and still: probably one of the best evenings of my life (also because bumping into Davide Cassani outside of a hotel doesn't happen everyday...).
On the morning of Tonale's stage, Basso was wearing the Maglia Rosa and he was heading towards his Giro victory. The weather was simply wonderful, although it was pretty cold anyway.That's how the mountains looked with the light:
As you can see, the writing below instead said 'Sorensen'. I swear I didn't write it myself (will someone believe me?) .Obviously, however, that's where I went to take the pictures ;)
As I already mentioned, the quality of the pictures isn't that good. But still, remember that they were taken by a super excited Fangirl!!
Iban Mayoz:

I like your pictures!
RispondiEliminaEspecially Laurent, Linus en Richie :)
I also tried to take pictures some time ago.. It's so difficult! They're so fast ;)
I was visiting a friend who lives near Assen (Netherlands) during the start of La Vuelta 2009. Good timing to go there... But my pictures were crap. TT was too far away and the next stage was just the peleton crossing.
You picked some nice stages where you can see them one by one... And what a beautiful landscape.
Glad you enjoyed the pictures Mar! :)
RispondiEliminaIt's very difficult to take pictures of the riders, in fact I have to admit that I actually screencapped some of these pictures from the short videos that I took during the stages. In that way I could dedicate a bit less attention to my camera during the race and watch the riders more carefully, without having doubts like: 'When shall I take the picture? Now? Or would it be better if I waited some seconds more?'
I was very lucky to go and see the Tonale stage. The landscape was simply perfect and, more important,a lot of riders arrived one by one and I was on the road in a perfect position, so that I could look at them very very carefully. Also ITTs are nice to watch, although I think they're more boring than mountain stages. In mountain stages in fact you don't know who the next rider who's coming is and this creates a bit of suspense, in ITTS instead the start list is always very clear.On the other hand, however, in ITTs you can see every single rider and this is simply wonderful (although they usually ride super fast and, if they're far from you, you can't see much...).
I'm sorry that your TTs pictures in Assen weren't good. I hate it when I take horrible pictures of cyclists... While watching that Vuelta stage I actually had the feeling that the supporters were far from the road where the cyclists were riding and this was really a pity. Btw I hope you had fun anyway, although you didn't like your race pictures.
As far as flat stages are concerned, I don't like watching them live unless the riders are facing different laps of the same circuit.
Oh yes I had a lot of fun during the ITT in Assen! Soooo many people :O And I've got some free stuff! A vacansoleil-cap and a Vuelta-ballpoint. Hehehe.
RispondiEliminaYou are right about what stages are nice to watch what stages are.. well.. boring ;)
When you know it'll be a sprint, I only watch the last 5 k. Then I'll read later who was in the breakaway and so on.
Ah, the free stuff you can get at the Grand Tours... :) Last year I came back from the Tour with some sweets, a Bouygues Telecom jersey, a polka dots cap, a pen and one of those things in which you can put your mobile phone (sorry but I don't know how they're called in English). And I even managed to see the Yeti car, although they didn't give free gadgets to anyone.
RispondiEliminaI don't always pay a lot of attention to sprinter's stages either. If I have something to do, I watch just the last 15 kms of them, otherwise I watch the last 30 (during the Giro Fangirl can push me to watch the last 50 kms of these stages, but it doesn't happen too often).
Miss Sansen is proud that you had the courage to photograph Pozzato with your own camera for her enjoyment which she will deny having that you have seen him live while she has not.
RispondiEliminaPozzatolocks isn't actually a great sight, the Schleck brothers (or Fuglsang or Breschel or Bennati) are much better looking than him! And then, they aren't gel abuser!
RispondiEliminaWith this gel I would be more careful because these boys also like to use it. What I cannot understand. It should be forbidden the same as EPO and a blood transfusion, shouldn't it? It damages riders, more precisely their image... and my aesthetic impressions!
RispondiEliminaDe gustibus non est disputandum ;)
Ania
I totally agree with you about banning Gel from Cycledom! :)
RispondiEliminaActually, I think there are boys who can look good with a bit of gel in their hair.But still, I believe that one should use gel depending on the occasions. I can stand boys who use a bit of it when they go to a party or to a marriage, but I really can't understand guys going cycling with gel in their hair. It is useless and then I think it gives the feeling that the boy pays too much attention to his image (I have the same opinion about girls who go cycling with their make up on).
And then, I always tend to keep myself away from Gel Abusers because, when one of my relatives became bald, he was told that it was a consequence of the fact that, in his teens, he had been a big Gel Abuser.Will Pozzatolocks end up this way too? :P
Great pictures Fede! Yeah it's hard to take pictures when they cycle so fast, especially during TT's ;) It's a pity they won't stand still for us for just a second right? ;) haha.. well, we did get better at taking pictures over time, I guess we seem to be getting 'the hang of it' :) We will miss the Giro starting in our country (and city) next year, it was such fun! :)
RispondiEliminaLittle by little, we're all getting better at taking pictures and this is simply great! The first times I tried to take pics of the riders while they were riding in front of me I didn't get any good results (the pictures were always awful and you couldn't recognise the riders who appeared in them), now luckily it looks like I've improved :)
RispondiEliminaYou Dutchies have been really lucky over the last months, since you hosted the Giro, the Tour and la Vuelta's starts! Btw I hope that also next year you'll have the chance of watching some Grand Tour stages live in your country, since every time a Grand Tours rides through Holland there are always thousands of people on the roads and I find this absolutely amazing! I always feel so depressed when I watch la Vuelta's stages, in which there are just a few supporters watching the riders!
Yeah, we still can't believe that we managed to take "okay" pictures when we didn't have a digital photocamera yet but an old-fashioned one back in 2005 with the Eneco Tour.. that must've been pure luck!
RispondiEliminaYes, we've been really lucky, you can say that for sure. We're already thinking about next year: where to go to?! We'll probably go to more small races, 'cause otherwise we'll miss live cycling too much. Nothing beats the atmosphere around cycling races.. you can't explain it, you just gotta be there :) Yes, cycling is very popular over here.. especially the Tour, because for the Dutch the Tour is "a summer (holiday) thing", lots of people in Holland only follow the Tour and then don't watch cycling anymore for a whole year (besides maybe a few classics and the world championship). When I was little I did that too, until obviously I became a huge fan and started following everything ;)
I also started with watching the Tour but I couldn't let it go after three weeks. MORE! So now i'm following everything..
RispondiEliminaIt did also suprise me that some many Dutchies came to la Vuelta and le Tour. But I don't really care where the start is. I like planning a vacation around a place where any grand tour comes. There's always something to do when the riders are gone, you know, in France, Italy, Spain... or the Netherlands ;)
Managing to take decent pictures with an old-fashioned camera is very difficult! My mother tried to do that this year in Verona, but the results were a bit, ehm, disappointing ;)
RispondiEliminaThe atmosphere at cycling races is simply great. Imo it doesn't depend a lot on the race that you go to watch, but on the fact that, when you're there, on the road, waiting for the riders, you really feel part of the big cycling family (oh gosh, I'm getting too poetical...).
Planning vacations in places where a Grand Tour stage arrives is a very good idea: in that way you can get everything (cycling, fun and relax) in just one time! Luckily Grand Tours always ride in super beautiful sceneries, so that supporters can enjoy the view while they're waiting for the riders to arrive. Personally, my greatest dream as a supporter would be to follow every stage of the Tour de France from a caravan. That would be super cool!!
Personally I started to follow cycling thanks to the Giro, and not thanks to the Tour. The cycling love has great roots in my family (I remember my father bringing me to watch a race when I was about 5, I just remember that I was really bored that day and that my father tried to make my interest in riders become bigger by telling me that Pantani would have arrived soon) and during the Giro and the Tour my male relatives just talk about it. Between 2004 and 2006 I just followed the Giro, but then the Cyclingfever exploded and nowadays I try to watch as many races as I can.Cycling is such a wonderful sport (and a super contagious disease)! ;)