If you had been in my house yesterday afternoon, at about 5.30 pm you would have heard someone screaming 'Waaaaaaaa!' with a very squeaky voice. Then you would have heard the very same person screaming 'I can't believe it!' and, immediately afterwards, you would have heard someone clapping their hands in joy and jumping around the living room while screaming 'Yes yes YES!' in a very uncontroled way.
In case you hadn't understood it, the someone whose behaviour I've just described is miss Fede, aka me. In fact, in the previous line of this post you can find a pretty detailed description of how I reacted when Zomegnan revealed that a stage of 2011 Giro d'Italia would have ended in San Pellegrino Terme, which is about 10 kms far from my home, and that following stage of the race would have started from Bergamo, which is 9 kms far from where I live. Therefore, I think that the strange behaviour I had yesterday can be completely excused :) Anyway, let's go in order.
This year the Giro presentation was held in the very beautiful Teatro Carignano in Turin, where the kings of Italy used to go when they wanted to see comedies. The conductor was Alessandra De Stefano, one of the most famous Italian cycling journalist (and one of the person who I envy the most). Together with her there were the former riders Davide Cassani, Silvio Martinello and Paolo Savoldelli, the journalist Beppe Conti and the Italian commentator Francesco Pancani.
The riders who attended the presentaton were Nibali, Visconti, Cunego, Scarponi, Petacchi, Ballan, Ginanni, Modolo and Matthew Lloyd. Also Gimondi took pat in the presentation.
The show began with a great video that showed some meaningful moments of 2010 Giro d'Italia, then there was a moment in which Laurent Fignon and Franco Ballerini were remembered. Afterwards, the true presentation began.Next year Giro is going to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Italian unity and so the first stage will be a 21.5 kms long team time trial from Venaria Reale to Turin. Turin in fact was the first capital of Italy and in Venaria Reale the kings used to go hunting in their free time.
The following stage, Alba-Parma, will be a good occasion for sprinters. Reggio Emilia-Rapallo will be the following stage and is likely to suit sprinters too, just like the 4th stage (Quarto dei Mille-Livorno).
The 5th stage (Piombino-Orvieto) will see the riders facing some of the infamous gravel roads of the center of Italy, while the following stage will probably end in a bunch sprint.The 7th stage (which will be just 100 kms long) will have an uphill finish in Montevergine di Mercogliano, where Andy Schleck first showed his class in a Grand Tour.
The 8th stage will suit sprinters, while the following day the riders will arrive in Sicily and face the Etna twice.
The following day the riders will have their first rest day and fly to Termoli. From there they'll ride to Teramo, where the stage will probably end in a sprint (and so will the 2 following stages).
On the 20th of May, things will get even harder for the riders and the first terrible climbs will begin. That day the riders will arrive on the Grossglockner, whose last 6 kms are 10% steep. I once visisted the Grossglockner and I can tell you that the weather will probably be terribly cold that day, especially if it rains.
The following day the riders will arrive on Zoncolan, while a day later the stage will end in Gardeccia-Val di Fassa, where the riders will arrive after facing Passo Fedaia and Passo Giau.
After these 3 terrible stages, the riders will enjoy the last rest day of the race and the following day they'll have a mountain TT up on Nevegal climb, whose average steepness is 8%.
The following stage, Feltre-Sondrio, will suit the few riders who, after all these stages, will still have the strength of creating a breakaway and will survive the climbs of Tonale and Aprica (which are very far from the finish-line).The following day, for the great joy of me myself and I, the stage will end in San Pellegrino Terme, aka 10 kms far from where I live. It won't be a particularly difficult stage, but me's happy anyway.
A day later, the stage will start in Bergamo (yay!) and end on Macugnana's climb. The following day then the riders will have the last uphill finish on Sestriére, a climb that they'll face after Colle delle Finestre. Then, on the 29th May, the riders will finally end their 3 weeks of fatigue with a 32 kms long TT in Milan.
So, this is the parcours of the 93rd Giro d'Italia. Indeed it is very spectacular but, imo, it is a bit too hard. Grossglockner, Zoncolan, Giau, Fedaia, Finestre, Sestriére... The supporters will have a lot of fun, but I think the riders will be more exhausted than never on Sunday 29 of May 2011. In fact, as if the stages weren't hard enough, the boys will also have to face 1800 kms (plus a flight from Sicily to Termoli) of transfers and that will be very stressing for them and for the team's staff. Therefore, me already congratulate everyone who'll be brave enough to face (and end) next year Giro.As last year, me would like to see the Schleck brothers taking part in this race, although I already know this won't be possible. But still, I think that next year parcours (who has just a 32.5 kms long TT) could perfectly suit Frank and Andy.
As far as Fangirl is concerned, she's already in love with this parcours because next year, if everything goes according to her plans, she could be able to watch 4 Giro stages live, one after the other. And that would be simply great.
As far as the silliest aspect of Grand Tour's presentation is concerned, then, here are Fangirl's thoughts about yesterday. First of all, she didn't like the fact that the only non-Italian rider she saw at the presentation was Matthew Lloyd. Ok, Contador is supposed to ride next year Giro but didn't take part in the presentation because of Steakgate, but I found this lack of international riders a bit depressing anyway.
Talking about foreign riders who'll take part in the Giro next May, it is already known that Tour of California will be raced in the same days as Giro. So I already say goodbye to my hope of seeing Cavendish, the Schlecks and so on on the Italian roads next spring.
Anyway, let's now talk about fashion and, more precisely, about fashion seen from Fangirl ('serious' readers who hate Fangirl are now allowed to stop reading ;).
Imo the one who really made a fashion disaster yesterday afternoon was Michele Scarponi. I didn't like the colour of his suit and also his shoes looked 'dirty'. Sorry Michele, but that's the impression I got from them. Also Ginanni (see picture on Roberto Bettini's website) matched colours in a very strange way and so I didn't like his look either. Garzelli looked as good as usual, while Sacha Modolo (the only one who was brave enough to say he didn't like the new Giro parcours) was ok. Cunego looked good (the boy always chooses good ties), while I liked Visconti's look although it wasn't very formal. Nibali looked as good as at the Tour's presentation and also Ballan looked good. Petacchi chose a black suit, black trousers, a black shirt and a pink tie.Imo, he could have done better.
So, this is the new Giro.'s parcours (and Fangirl's stupid ideas about fashion). As I said,the parcours is exciting, although perhaps a bit too hard (especially because of the transfers). Now we just have to be patient and wait until May to see the riders making the 2011 edition of the race become unforgettable, just like they did with the 2010 edition.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/504274/nygaard-sciandri-and-lloyd-comment-on-2011-giro-route.html
RispondiEliminaMaybe one of the Schleck brothers will start in Italy...
Dane Brian Nygaard will get his first taste of a Grand Tour as General Manager of Team Luxembourg next year at the Giro d'Italia. He is thinking about bringing one of the Schleck brothers, Fränk or Andy.
"It might make sense since the parcours is so hard; it is one of the hardest editions I can remember seeing in some time. Different riders have their different strategies, maybe racing the Giro as Tour preparations, but a Giro d'Italia like this should be raced for itself," said Nygaard.
"I would not rule it out. They will have to see the route after they return from the race in Mexico. Andy had an amazing ride the one time he tried [best young rider and second overall]. I know that he wants to come back and try to win it."
Hmm.. Fränk wins the Giro, Andy the Tour.. :D
RispondiElimina(Jakob the Vuelta?)
Andy has said he's not gonna ride the Giro... We'll see what happens.
@ Anonimo: thank you very much for that link. Andy has always said he'd like to come back to the Giro one day and also Frank once said he would have loved to race the Giro. As well as that, in some 2008/2009 interviews the brothers said that their sponsor preferred to see the best SB riders racing well in the Tour rather than in the other Grand Tours, and that they couldn't do anything about it. Therefore, now that the brothers have changed team, I'd really love to see at least one of them racing in Italy in May 2011.In fact I think that also for the supporters (and not just for the Italian ones) it'd be wonderful to cheer for the boys also in the Giro and not just in the Tour or in the Vuelta.
RispondiElimina@ Mar: ...and Vino wins Paris-Tours (so that in the post race interviews he can talk French ;), Chris Sorensen gets Liége and Breschel wins the Worlds in Copenhagen. Great plan, isn't it? :D
I actually think that Frank is more likely to race the Giro next year, but perhaps Andy will change his mind in the next weeks/months...
@ YoMarques: it is my favourite GT too :) I bet we'll have a lot of fun watching it next year!
RispondiEliminaYou're so lucky to see so many stages! I'll rely on TV instead :P
RispondiEliminaIn my wildest immagination I guessed neither Schleck would race the Giro, so I thought why not Jakob? In a way the Giro could be for him what the Vuelta was for Nibali (if he performs well obviously). But I would like to know the whole roster then unleash the speculation. Anyway I hope they will not follow the big fashion of preparing only the Tour at the expense of the Classics; these races are not going to lose charm in any case, but it would be a let down.
Fashion Gendarmerie would have liked to round up some style criminals last saturday :P
Francesca
I think the Schlecks need Jakob in the Tour, so I don't think he's going to participate in the Giro. It could be something for Brice Feillu, Linus Gerdemann and Anders Lund.
RispondiEliminaI think there is no doubt Bennati, Viganò and Nizzolo will race the Giro.
@ Francesca: I'm waiting to know the whole team roster too before of beginning my speculations. Anyway, as Anonimo says, I think Jakob is more likely to race the Tour and la Vuelta next year (unless one of the Schleck brothers decides to race the Giro in order to win it), so I'm afraid we won't have the chance of seeing Jakob in Italy next May. Anyway we're at the end of October and we'll have plenty of time to discuss the possible GT's squads also in the next long weeks of the off-season ;)
RispondiEliminaI also hope the brothers won't decide to focus themselves just on the Tour because I don't like riders who behave that way. I know it's impossible to be in perfect shape from February to October, but I'd like my favourite riders to do their best at least during the April Classics and in one Grand Tour pro season.
@ Anonimo: I also think that Jakob isn't likely to take part in the Giro next year (unless one of the two Schlecks decides to ride the Italian race in order to win it).
I'm waiting to know the names of all the riders before of starting my speculations, but I think the boys you mention are very likely to race the Giro, perhaps with the exception of Brice Feillu (I'd also add Weylandt and Klemme to your list).