Ok,I have to admit that I didn't watch the last part of yesterday's TT, a thing that I pretty regret right now.Anyway,it was for a good cause: I've told you about the Alpini Meeting in my town,right? Well,yesterday some relatives were going to see the city all covered in Tricolore,and they asked me whether I wanted to go as well. "There's the Giro",I said,and by doing so I made a revolt against me explode.My relatives said all the usual things they always tell me every time we have to go somewhere and I don't want to go with them because of a cycling race (those things are: "You're a girl,you're 17,all your friends are around and you're here lying on the couch, you'll regret not coming,ecc ecc") and when also another relative who didn't want to come told me that 1.the national meeting has taken place in my town just twice over the last 30 years and 2.that time trials are boring,well,I surrendered.In that very same moment,Bookwalter crossed the finish line of the TT and took the lead of the race,in front of Gustav Larsson.I took it as a divine sign that wanted me to go to Bergamo,so I got ready and went.My last words to the only familiar who was going to keep on watching the race was: "Look out for Richie Porte.He's young, but he seriously rocks".Prophetic words,I'd dare to say.After leaving my house (and my tv) my mood was very bad for some minutes.Then however I found myself on a bus together with a bunch of Alpini singing their traditional songs and there I understood that perhaps I could have had fun in the city.And I did have fun,in the end.My good mood was eventually destroyed completely by ATB (the bus transport of the city),but that's another story.
Obviously,as soon as I saw my dad in the evening I asked him who had won the TT. "Things have remained the same since you left the house this afternoon", he told me."Oooh,Bookwalter has won? That's nice! And how was Porte?",I asked. "He was strong,really strong". Then I asked other information about the race and started to cheer for Bookwalter's victory. "Bookwalter?",my father asked me in a surprised way."It's Wiggins who won,not Bookwalter!",he continued to my surprise."But you had said..." "Ok,I got confused.Wiggins won."
This news didn't actually change my mood at all,since I'm happy with Wiggo's victory.In fact, I would have hated it if one of the main GC contenders (Evans,Basso,Vinokourov) got the jersey already on the first day.Wiggo instead is racing the Giro just to train (at least,that's what he said),so I'm happy it ended up this way.
This news didn't actually change my mood at all,since I'm happy with Wiggo's victory.In fact, I would have hated it if one of the main GC contenders (Evans,Basso,Vinokourov) got the jersey already on the first day.Wiggo instead is racing the Giro just to train (at least,that's what he said),so I'm happy it ended up this way.
"It kind of sounds corny, but I'm such a fan of the Giro and always have been since I was a kid. I know a lot about the history of cycling. To wear the pink jersey in the Giro is special. It's such an iconic jersey," Wiggins told Cyclingnews after the prologue. "I grew up watching videos of the Giro, seeing [Maurizio] Fondriest and [Gianni] Bugno wearing it.I realise what I have on my shoulders. And that's quite special in itself because it will hang on my wall for the rest of my life. It means a lot to me. To be able to enjoy that moment tomorrow, whether it’s for a day, two days, or however long, it's very special. To take it in such style in Amsterdam,is probably even more special."
Second was 26 year old Bookwalter,who made the same time as his teammate Evans.3" behind them was Vinokourov,who got the same time as Henderson (look out for him in the sprints!) and as Richie Porte,the very impressive SB neo pro.Talking about his result,Richie told Cyclingnews: "I don't know why there is such a difference (ndr; between me and the other riders).I was a bit nervous at the start.It might be because of my crash last week (ndr;in Tour of Romandie).Or maybe I rode too conservative. I guess I have to bang my head against the wall." Anyway then Richie said he's incredibly happy for being able to wear the first Maglia Bianca of 2010 Giro.Going on with the placements,7th was Millar and 8th was Gustav Larsson.9th was Van Emden and 10th was Marco Pinotti.11th was Nibali,who during his ride had a problem with a pidgeon (and this demonstrated once again that pidgeons are the most stupid animals on the earth after human beings).Konovalovas was 18th,while Morkov was 19th.
Chris Sorensen was 176th and said he was really unhappy with his placement,and that he rode slowly because he was afraid of falling. Understandable,if you also consider that Chris rode when the asphalt was still wet.Worse than him was Capelli, Footon Servetto's man for the GC (at least according to the newspaper of my town,while me thinks that the GC man for Footon is probably Capecchi...).
Since Chris is the rider I'm going to support most during this Giro,here's the link to his last blog entry: http://blog.tv2.dk/chris.anker.ol/entry369687.html .Surprisingly,in this year Giro he's sharing a room with Morkov,and not with Nicki Sorensen.Talking about that,he thanks not being roommate with Porte and accuses him of snoring too much during the night.
On to today's Giro stage,it is a flat one and should end up in a bunch sprint.I fear that, however, some of the riders are most worried for their comeback to Italy than for today's stage.In fact our beloved Arthur (the big ash cloud produced by that Icelandic volcano) is creating problems once again,many airports in Italy are closed and so the riders (but also the mechanics,the soigneurs,etc.) could be forced to get to Italy by bus (or by car or by train) rather than by plane. Hoping that this won't happen,I go to see the second stage of the race (this time without interruption,hopefully) and pay a lot of attention to time bonuses.(Wiggo's pic by Bettini,Porte's one by Ispa)

Nessun commento:
Posta un commento