Chris Anker Sørensen will lead Saxo Bank at next year's Giro d'Italia,the first major captaincy role of the Dane's five-year professional career.The 25-year-old told Danish website sporten.dk that he would forgo a second Tour de France appearance in order to maximise his chances of success in Italy.
"I have always been prepared to support the ambitions of my teammates, but I will not be a supporting rider throughout my entire career; I have my own ambitions," said Sørensen.
Sørensen finished 28th overall at his first and only Giro d'Italia appearance in 2008.This season he raced the Tour de France for the first time,in support of teammate Andy Schleck.The latter finished second overall,while Sørensen finished 34th.
This week Sørensen was named by team manager Bjarne Riis in a ten-man short list for the 2010 Saxo Bank Tour de France team.Andy Schleck is once again expected to lead the squad at the Tour and while Sørensen said he looks forward to a return to the French race, he would only do so if fully recovered from the pursuit of his own objectives at the Giro.
"I have no problem if the team would prefer me to sit out the Tour or if I don’t have the strength at the time," he said."I hope to race for my own chances at the Giro and then come to help [Andy and Fränk] Schleck make the podium in the Tour."
(news taken from Cyclingnews)
Here instead there is the news as given by the Danish website Sporten.Dk:
Chris Anker Sorensen had his Tour de France debut this summer and is also one of the 10 Team Saxo Bank riders who have been pre-selected for the 2010 edition of the French race.But the Danish climber may sacrifice his Tour participation in order to be the team captain at next year edition of the Giro d'Italia,a race that ends five weeks before of the Tour de France's beginning.
At a meeting with the team management,the Danish climber did not deny that he has ambitions for himself and that he doesn't want to be a helper throughout his whole career.
-I don't want to be misunderstood.This year I really wanted to help my teammates,but I won't be helping riders during my whole career.I have my own ambitions.Btw I hope I'll be able to run a good Giro and to help the Schleck brothers to get on the Tour de France podium next year-, Chris Anker said.
Running both the Giro and the Tour may not be possible and Sorensen is aware of that.In fact this was another topic of discussion between the rider and Bjarne Riis.
-He asked me whether I would be in a good form for riding the Tour immediately after the Giro. It is impossible to give an answer now,but I believe it is possible.In 2008 I rode the Giro at full gas and after it I felt pretty tired for a couple of weeks.However then I won a mountain stage in the Dauphiné Libéré and one stage at the Tour of Austria,I rode a good Olympic RR and had a good autumn-.
Sorensen's goal in the Giro is to finish in the GC top-10.If this goal turns out to be unrealistic half way,Chris will decide to go for stage victories.
-It will be very instructive for me to ride the Giro as captain.I've learned a lot in this year and I have become a better rider,both from the technical and tactical point of view" concluded Chris Anker Sørensen.
So,that's what Chris Anker said to the journalists.But what do Fangirl and Logic think about Chris' goals for next year? Fangirl's obviously entusiasthic,but the strange thing is that also Logic likes Chris' choice.Ok,she may be a bit under Fangirl's bad influence right now,but she thinks that Chris may even make it to the Giro Top 5.
I remember that in 2007,when Chris became a professional rider,lots of Danish journalists used to think of him as the new Danish promise for Grand Tours.Also this year,the question that almost every Danish journalist asked to Chris during the Tour was: "Do you find it hard to sacrifice your own ambitions in order to help the team?" (other versions of said question were: "Are you happy with your role as a helper here in the Tour?" and "What are your personal ambitions for this year Tour?").Of course Chris always answered that he was in France to help the Schleck brothers,but I think that now he's decided to try and see what results he can achieve by riding a Grand Tour with a captain role.
Until now,Chris has ridden 3 Grand Tours:the Vuelta 2007 (in which he got the final 19th placement in the GC in spite of helping Sastre every day),the Giro 2008 (28th placement in the GC) and the Tour de France 2009 (in which he helped the Schleck brothers and finaly came in 34th).
In 2008 Chris was still very young and unexperienced,the Giro parcours was really hard and it rained almost daily.In spite of all these things,Chris made it to the top 30 of the race.Not a great result,you may think,but Chris has improved a lot lately and I think that in 2010 he will manage to ride a good Giro.And,if he realises he can't get a good result in the GC,I believe that Chris will soon decide to go for the stage victories rather than fighting every day in order to get,say,the 56th placement in the GC.
As pointed out by Cyclingnews and Sporten.Dk,Chris' choice of running the Giro may force him to skip the Tour.Me instead actually thinks that Chris will be able to ride the 2010 edition of the French race.After all,2008 has been his best year so far,and in that year he got 2 nice victories (a mountain stage at the Dauphine Libére and a stage at the Tour of Austria) few weeks after having finished the Giro.And then I believe that,even if Chris shouldn't manage to race the Tour in July,Saxo Bank team would be very strong anyway.In fact on the team short list for the Tour there are guys like the Schleck brothers,Cancellara,Voigt,Fuglsang, Breschel, O'Grady and Larsson.Are we sure that Team Radioshack is actually stronger than Saxo Bank? Me isn't.
Anyway,I guess that now it's time to end this post and stop talking about my opinions.After all,there are still 5 months before of the Giro's beginning and we can't know how things may change in this period.Btw,my opinion for the moment is: Chris Anker has taken the right decision.Now let's hope he won't change his mind at the last moment and that he can have a good first part of the year and arrive at the Giro in good form.
NB: Of course Miss Fede wishes a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to every reader, cyclist or cycling supporter out there :)

guarda su sierto blog
RispondiEliminaYou said the right things,Ilaria.Bjarne Riis(probably also because of the sponsor's pressure) is always focused on the Tour and always uses the Giro as a training for his riders.The only exception was Basso,but Basso was Italian and I think that every Italian GC rider would love to try and win the Giro at least once in their career.
RispondiEliminaI don't know why,but I've got the impression that Chris had to talk a lot with Bjarne in order to race the Giro.Perhaps if a Danish rider finally manages to get on the podium of the Giro,Bjarne will change his mind and start to consider the Corsa Rosa more than a simple training race (and perhaps in the future he may even decide to bring his best riders there).Let's hope so (Me would really love to see the Schleck brothers racing the Giro,but something tells me that I'll have to wait at least until 2011 to see them here in Italy in May)!
Guardo subito Liveri!!
RispondiElimina