domenica 22 febbraio 2009

Frank in a breakaway!!

Little thing to start with:I didn't see the stage,and I won't see it,because I forgot to record it.I don't know what to say in English.In Italian it sounds like "c*** che sfiga assurda e che cret*** che sono!" .In English it would be something like: "F***,how unlucky,and how stupid I am!".The unluckyness comes from the fact that I've seen nearly all the stages of ToC and in all of them nothing really interesting for our boys happened.Yesterday,Frank was in a breakaway and the stage was told me to be wonderful.I've watched all the most boring stages,and I've missed the most amazing one.Anger,hatred,anger,hatred.
Sorry if I've bored you.Let's come down to the stage now.At the beginning of the stage a very wonderful breakaway has begun:I say wonderful because it included very strong riders,like FRANK (of course),Vandevelde,Hincapie,Nocentini,Elmiger,Roulston,Zberg,Engels,Baldwin and Pieter Weening (that was in a breakaway some days ago too).
All eyes were on the winner of this stage last year, George Hincapie, but he was a marked man. As "Big George" grew tired of covering attacks from Zberg, Elmiger and Weening, FRANK escaped over a crucial two kilometre climb located just after the start-finish line. His lasted long enough to split the break in half.(Photo on http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2009/feb09/california09/?id=/photos/2009/feb09/california09/california097/_MEM5896).
"Every day I've been feeling better and better," said Schleck. "In the end we all saw that it was going to be a very tactical race. With the two American's Hincapie and Vandevelde in the break, everyone was trying to get away from them. But, the two really knew that they had to take care of me. It was pure tactics today."
The bunch regrouped for a while, but then on the final lap,Nocentini, Roulston and Weening got away from the rest of the break, and the sprint between these 3 riders was won by Nocentini.

Francisco Mancebo (Rock Racing), who also took the stage 1 victory, crashed along the 24-kilometre fast plunge to the Rose Bowl finishing circuits. The Spaniard hit a rock on the side of a rough patch of pavement. According to a team press release he was taken to the Huntington Memorial Hospital where he is believed to have suffered a concussion plus a broken hand and elbow. Jason McCartney (Saxo Bank) followed Mancebo in the KOM competition and assumed the jersey lead.
As the break away blasted down to the finishing circuits, Vandevelde flatted a rear tyre. After what may have been the fastest wheel change in the history of bike racing, he was back in the front group before anyone realised he was missing. Vandevelde noted the thousands upon thousands of fans cheering for the successful break away during the final laps. "The fans were unbelievable down there," he continued. "Frank Schleck came up to me and showed me he had goosebumps all over - it was a neat feeling to race through a throng of fans like any Grand Tour stage."
The ultimate stage of the Tour of California will showcase a point-to-point road race from Rancho-Bernardo to Escondido. There are four climbs en route including the most difficult climb up the slope of Palamar Mountain, a 19-kilometre ascent to the top. First of all I hope the two bro0thers will do well,secondly I hope I can see it...Otherwise me gets a bit angry.
A photo of Frank available on this link: http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2009/feb09/california09/?id=/photos/2009/feb09/california09/california097/JD_09TOCstg7012. Are his hair growing longer than usual?
Here are the stage results (just some of them because I'm a bit in a hurry):
1 Rinaldo Nocentini (Ita) AG2R La Mondiale 3.24.43
2 Hayden Roulston (NZl) Cervélo TestTeam
3 Pieter Weening (Ned) Rabobank
4 Markus Zberg (Swi) BMC Racing Team 0.07
5 Martin Elmiger (Swi) AG2R La Mondiale
6 Chris Baldwin (USA) Rock Racing
7 George Hincapie (USA) Team Columbia - Highroad
8 Fränk Schleck (Lux) Team Saxo Bank
9 Christian Vande Velde (USA) Garmin - Slipstream
10 Addy Engels (Ned) Quick Step
78 Andy Schleck 2.19

Chicchi and Guarnieri retired themselves (I don't know why).Voigt arrived 21st.Frank is now 15th in the GC,with 4 minutes of delay from Leipheimer.
Sorry for the lack of photos but,as I already said,I'm in a bit of a hurry.Good sunday and good Carnaval to everybody.

3 commenti:

  1. Yes, Frank's hair is longer; it's his Victory Mullet. He had one back in 2006 when he racked up some major wins so I'm thinking he's planning on winning lots again just like he did today. Perhaps he'll get Liege...

    RispondiElimina
  2. Questo commento è stato eliminato dall'autore.

    RispondiElimina
  3. Let's hope his season can be as good as 2006 then! For the moment,it has started incredibly well! The victory mullet does work! Go go Frankie!!!

    RispondiElimina